Wheelchair van rental

pugdog

DIS Veteran
Just to let some of you know we just got back and rened a van from rainbow whells for 8 people with a wheelchair. It was wonderful,big and not to high priced. I called 8 companys before I went with them. So if anyone needs info on them let me know. They well meet you at the airport too. :D :D

Thanks for your info. I found a website for Rainbow Wheels that I think is the one you used.
Since you indicated you called 8 different companies, would you mind sharing with us how you decided on renting with Rainbow Wheels?

SueM in MN
Co-Moderator of disABILITIES

We chose them because they are the only place with a van big enough for 8 people,a powerchair and luggage. All of the other companys had full size vans but they were all decked out and only held 5 people plus the chair. Also their price for the van was the same price as the other companys mini-van price. And since they would meet us at the airport, unlike some of the others,it sealed it. When we go down in the fall we'er going to use them again only this time with a mini-van. Jodi is the one in charge of rental and the people that meet us at the airport are all very nice. And you don't need to worry about a handicapped permit either since the van comes with one. Any thing else just ask. :D :D

Thanks for sharing. We've been trying to decide whether or not to bring my dd's power wheelchair to Florida this March. She just got it in October, so is not real experienced in driving it and we're afraid it might be too busy for her to drive. If we bring her manual chair, we can get by with a regullar van, but if it's the power chair, we need to look at wheelchair vans. We've got one of those "all decked out" minivans at home, but you are right that they don't hold as much as a full size conversion van.F

SueM in MN

Sue,
Is she using her power chair at school? We have several kids using them. Youngest started at age 3 1/2 with the therapist teaching him. The PT gals work with the kids and have them go through a track with cones to work on their skills. I am amazed at what they can do even in crowded halls.

Pooh

Thanks for the questions, lisapooh. She is using it at school. She's very adept with her manual chair (even backing and getting into small spots) and she's not so sure she trusts this power chair yet. She goes to dance class once or twice per month and has been using the power chair there. It needs some re-programming of the speed control because it is going to quickly too soon. Then she lets go of the stick and it's too jerky when it comes to a stop. There's some fine tuning that needs to be done yet.µ

SueM in MN

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter