• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Wheelchair question

littleaussie

I tell people my daughters are 75% American and 25
I am hoping to take my niece to WDW in January. She is completely dependent on her motorized wheelchair. Are they usually categorized as ECVs or are they considered wheelchairs? Her chair is larger than a manual wheelchair but not as big as an ECV.

I’ve read the info on the ones she could stay in her chair. And others where she could transfer to a manual wheelchair and ride? Does that mean she has to transfer from the manual wheelchair to the ride? Or would it be possible to stay in her chair or the manual wheelchair on those ones? It isn’t clear if she can’t use ANY chair at all or if certain wheelchairs are allowed.

My 3rd question is if she has to transfer to a ride, are some of them able to be done by pulling up right next to the ride vehicle? She cannot walk at all but it is possible to to a transfer from her chair to another if the mechanics work out like she does when she transfers from an airplane wheelchair to her seat.

Last question, since she is in a wheelchair, is a disability pass even needed or would It be obvious we need help?

Thank you for any advice!

Last edited:
Depends on the ride. Some it would be in her best interest to NOT risk her expensive chair and either transfer or use the courtesy chair.

which rides specifically? Some are easier to transfer to than others. And some are just plain not gonna be doable if she can’t/shouldnt. Use the ride accessible car

If it doesn't say anything about transfer, those are the rides that have a ride car they can secure her chair into. They are already accessible by design. If they say transfer, those are rides where the user needs to be able to be moved from their device to a manual wheelchair and then into the ride car. The CM's cannot assist you with lifting or pulling or seating.

I am hoping to take my niece to WDW in January. She is completely dependent on her motorized wheelchair. Are they usually categorized as ECVs or are they considered wheelchairs? Her chair is larger than a manual wheelchair but not as big as an ECV.
What make and model is her power wheelchair?
My daughter has not brought her power wheelchair to WDW, but it’s because we are afraid to travel by air with it. Her chair is a Permobil 5 VS; since it elevates, reclines and stands, it has a lot of moving parts. Airlines have a history of breaking wheelchairs, especially high tech ones.
If we could bring it, I would NOT be concerned bringing it on any of the WDW wheelchair accessible ride cars. On some, you just park it. On any where the wheelchair might get jostled or move out of place, there are the same kind of wheelchair tiedown straps as we have in our wheelchair accessible van.
So, no more risk than riding in a wheelchair accessible van (probably even less, since you are not traveling at highway speeds).
One of my Facebook friends is at WDW right now, using his new Quantum Edge 3 power wheelchair. So far, he hasn’t found any wheelchair accessible ride vehicle that he’s had any trouble riding. He had been to WDW many times before in his older power chair and rode the wheelchair accessible ride cars.
I’ve read the info on the ones she could stay in her chair. And others where she could transfer to a manual wheelchair and ride? Does that mean she has to transfer from the manual wheelchair to the ride? Or would it be possible to stay in her chair or the manual wheelchair on those ones? It isn’t clear if she can’t use ANY chair at all or if certain wheelchairs are allowed.
For the most part, power wheelchairs are treated exactly the same as manual wheelchairs. Most lines are Mainstreamed and are wheelchair accessible using the Standby and Fastpass line. Some are not ECV accessible and guests using using ECVs need to transfer to a manual wheelchair. Guests using power wheelchairs would not need to transfer because they can turn much more sharply than an ECV.
Wheelchair accessible ride cars are accessible to both manual and power wheelchairs for the most part.
The exception would be a power wheelchair that is too long or wide to fit in a 30 inch wide by 48 inch long space (many can accommodate at 52 inch long wheelchair)

Some attractions are listed as ‘must transfer’. For those, all guests must transfer to the ride vehicle; a power or manual wheelchair can be used to the boarding area.
My 3rd question is if she has to transfer to a ride, are some of them able to be done by pulling up right next to the ride vehicle? She cannot walk at all but it is possible to to a transfer from her chair to another if the mechanics work out like she does when she transfers from an airplane wheelchair to her seat.
All attractions are wheelchair accessible to the point of boarding.
For those where a transfer is required, some are easier to board than others. For many, the wheelchair can be brought right up to the ride car. Many where a transfer is needed, have an ADA ride vehicle with a wider opening. Some of those have sliding board or a transfer tier available to help get it.

My daughter can’t walk or stand, so we need to lift her onto ride vehicles when a transfer is required. We let the CM (Cast Member) know what we need in terms of parking her wheelchair close or slowing/stopping moving walkways.
There are 2 moving walkways that can’t be stopped except emergency/in very rare situations - Peter Pan and Peoplemover (both in MK).

Last question, since she is in a wheelchair, is a disability pass even needed or would It be obvious we need help?

Thank you for any advice!
If her needs are taken care of by using her wheelchair in line/attractions, she doesn’t need DAS (Disability Access Service). CMs will direct her where to go if you need to go somewhere else for access or boarding.

Last edited:
Thank you everyone. With all your responses, I figured out where to see the ride descriptions and which ones she will be able to do.
Another thing I didn’t consider was her power chair will not be able to go on the flight so we would use a manual wheelchair for this trip. Her power chair does not fold down.
I appreciate all the help, excited to plan this!

There's no need for a chair to fold down for airline transport. The airline staff will put it in the hold. It is not allowable to fly in a wheelchair: you must transfer to the airline's seating.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter