Wheelchair or ECV

Tia Jones

Earning My Ears
My husband and I are bringing his grandmother along for our trip in October along with our three year old daughter. She gets around fine at home but we know she won’t be able to keep up in Disney so we are planning on renting her a wheelchair or ECV. I saw a comment on another topic that driving the ECV is stressful because of the crowds so am looking for opinions of those who have utilized either a wheelchair or ECV at Disney in the past. One of us will be pushing our daughter in a stroller but the other would be free to push a wheelchair. Thanks for any and all feedback!

I recommend asking Grandma if she has a preference. Driving an ECV in the parks can be tiring, it requires the user to be on constant alert to people and surroundings (someone once told me it’s like driving on a busy freeway). But an ECV allows more independence than a manual chair with a pusher.

I agree with Lanejudy. There’s pros and cons to both. I upgraded to an electric wheelchair on my last trip, but did several in a manual. I disliked the manual because it made it really difficult to talk to my husband as he was pushing me and it felt a little isolating. And of course, you are at the mercy of the pusher who even with good intentions may park you someplace inconvenient for just a minute to go grab something. I much prefer the independence on my electric wheelchair and I feel more involved in what’s going on, however, a lot more people seem to jump in front of my electric wheelchair than used to when they saw my 6’3 husband coming with a chair. It’s also easy to get caught in tight situations where people don’t leave you enough room to manouver an EVC easily. We had a hard time navigating Pecos Bills last trip because of how close together tables were.

. One of us will be pushing our daughter in a stroller but the other would be free to push a wheelchair. Thanks for any and all feedback!
being pushed around is super relaxing for the one sitting and a whole lot more stress and work than the rest of you likely appreciate. I never recommend this option. If anyplace rents powered wheelchairs with an ‘attendant assist’ (or similar) feature I would go that route if an ECV is out of the question.

Let her get used to driving one at a local shop and get her input ahead of the trip. Driving an ECV is pretty intuitive and most people pick it up pretty quick. That said, crowded areas and navigating the chaotic stream of humanity at WDW can be challenging at times.

being pushed around is super relaxing for the one sitting and a whole lot more stress and work than the rest of you likely appreciate. I never recommend this option. If anyplace rents powered wheelchairs with an ‘attendant assist’ (or similar) feature I would go that route if an ECV is out of the question.

Let her get used to driving one at a local shop and get her input ahead of the trip. Driving an ECV is pretty intuitive and most people pick it up pretty quick. That said, crowded areas and navigating the chaotic stream of humanity at WDW can be challenging at times.
There are many people who are just not comfortable doing a motorized device- or their family is not comfortable with them using it because of hearing/vision or concentration.
So, sometimes the best option is a manual wheelchair.

A power wheelchair with attendant control does require practice - often more than people realize - to become comfortable using it. It ‘exchanges’ the stress and tiredness of pushing a manual wheelchair for the stress of needing to be constantly alert and ready to react to other people.

As an example -
There were 2 young ladies in my daughter’s wheelchair dance class who had attendant controls - both could drive their own power wheelchairs, but not we’re not always fast enough for the dance. Both of them had several caregivers over the years - many of them chose to put the power wheelchair into freewheel and push the over 400 pound wheelchair rather than use the attendant control.

I shudder to think about an attendant driving my chair in a theme park they were not intimately familiar with. There are too many distractions. Other people not paying attention. Unexpected curbs (thinking you, Main Street). Attendant looking around (and at maps or their phone).

If grandma is on the smaller side, I'd say do the wheelchair. I'd be concerned she would fret too much driving an EVC. Of course I don't know her. Perhaps she jumps out of planes and fills in at circus soleil, but some older people don't adjust that fast and will say "I'm happy just sitting here, you go on rides and come back for me in three hours"

ETA, if someone is pushing child in stroller and someone is pushing grandma in chair.....child and grandma can enjoy pointing out things to each other. A memory I have (wish I had a picture) was a few trips ago, DH was in wheelchair, big kids went on space mountain. We took the three youngest to little mermaid. I was pushing, grandpa was holding hands with our 4, 3 and 2 year old grandkids. We were about 6 ft wide with everyone holding hands, but like I said it's a awwwww memory to me.

Last edited:

I appreciate everyone's feedback so much! Gran says she thinks she'll be fine with the ECV so I think we are going to give it a whirl. Hopefully the crowds are kind to us in October. :)
If she feels unsure about using it in ride lines, some may have wheelchairs you can borrow.

Have a great trip and make great memories.

The nice part is, if you find that the option you choose isn’t working out for you on the first day, most rental companies are very good about bringing something different to you pretty quickly. I started out one trip in a manual wheelchair, but I had never noticed how many ramps, hills, and areas of uneven pavement there were in the parks, and it was just too tiring. Even with switching off between me self-propelling and the other members of the party taking turns to push. We called the rental company, and they were able to drop an ECV off at our resort that evening. So, keep that contact information handy and they should be able to help you.

I appreciate everyone's feedback so much! Gran says she thinks she'll be fine with the ECV so I think we are going to give it a whirl. Hopefully the crowds are kind to us in October. :)

If you can, have her practice with it at your resort, on a not so busy walkway. And keep it in slow mode. I honestly think if I can drive one and not injure someone, anyone can.

If you can, have her practice with it at your resort, on a not so busy walkway. And keep it in slow mode. I honestly think if I can drive one and not injure someone, anyone can.
I don't think her practicing is an "if" but rather a requirement unless she's accustomed to using store scooter-carts in crowds.

Operating a scooter safely is similar to driving a car in terms of focus and concentration, IMO. I thought it would be no big deal until painfully ramming my toes against our front door while running DH's powerchair into the house. I seriously miscalculated how fast I was going and was too inexperienced to know how soon I needed to brake.

And, btw, OP, the Disney crowds will not typically be kind to DH's gran. People will suddenly stop right in front of her. Kids and adults both will dash across her path as though it's her obligation to swerve or stop as quickly as a person walking can. That's why you'll sometimes see an ECV/wheelchair user with an orange flag high above their head. An often futile attempt to attract attention to the fact that the chair/ECV is there.

Please help with the scooter where grandma may not be so comfortable. For example, it would be great if you did the scooter on and off Disney transportation. For that amount of time she should be okay without the scooter. Another time to take over on a scooter is when you need to go on and off elevators.

When dining especially table service we find it better to park the scooter outside of the eating place.

If it's very crowded like with a parade, fireworks and so forth it would be good for someone to be lead in front of the scooter to clear the path for her.

Especially if you are used to driving in Houston, Texas during the peak of rush hour where traffic is the absolute worst, than driving the EVC through the parks should be a breeze. I would go with EVC over a wheelchair since a wheelchair is best if you have someone to push you.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter