• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Wheelchair lock

smokey

Mouseketeer
I'm thinking of hiring a wheelchair (a Disney one) for my mother for our forthcoming trip. She is a young 77 year old but will find some of the distances to far to walk. So it will be more a case of using it to get from A to B and then leaving it somewhere while we explore that section of the park.

Are wheelchairs ever stolen? Do I need to get some kind of lock for it?

If you are renting a wheelchair at the park and it goes missing, it's probably a situation where someone took the wrong one because they all look alike.

Keep your receipt when renting. If you can't find the wheelchair when you come out of an attraction, look around - CMs sometimes move them a bit to keep the space orderly. If you can't find it,mensch park has wheelchair replacement locations where you show your receipt and can get a new one.

If you decide to use a lock, you are not allowed to lock a wheelchair to anything (fence, tree, etc) and you must park it in the designated parking area.

We rent from Apple Scooter for my DD. The price comes with insurance.

We've never had her wheelchair bothered with. It has a plastic tag with our name attached.

It's nice to have one the whole trip rather than renting at the parks for us. She actually fell sound asleep in it on our way back to the AKL from the Magic Kingdom one night last trip! It had been a long day.

I'm thinking of hiring a wheelchair (a Disney one) for my mother for our forthcoming trip. She is a young 77 year old but will find some of the distances to far to walk. So it will be more a case of using it to get from A to B and then leaving it somewhere while we explore that section of the park.

Are wheelchairs ever stolen? Do I need to get some kind of lock for it?

You shouldn't need a lock for it. You will be given a large name tag that goes into a sleeve on the back of the chair. I've been using rental chairs in the parks for a couple decades now ( both Disney and offsite rentals). Only once did one disappear ( I think it was probably a case of mistaken identity rather than theft). It was a Disney one. DH just went to the nearest replacement spot and got another one. It helps to affix something colourful to identify your own chair. I bring a colourful Beach towel to sit on.

The other thing with locks- not only are you not allowed to lock it to a fixed object, you can't lock the wheels in a manner that would prevent a CM from moving it, should they need to do so.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter