Wheelchair and monorail resort?

maccumby

Earning My Ears
I first want to thank you for this board, it has been so helpful to me!

My six year old son has cerebral palsy and he uses a walker for short periods of time and a wheelchair for any long distances. Obviously, he will use his wheelchair at WDW.

We went to Disney last summer and stayed at All Star Movies- it was fine but hubby would like a nicer room next time. We plan to return in December. So, after being very long winded, here's my question- will a monorail resort (we're thinking Contemporary) be a lot more conveinent for us with his wheelchair? Or will it be a pain getting it on and off?

I should note that we didn't ride the monorail last trip- they were working on it and it was closed alot so we rode the boats over to Magic Kingdom. And, I should also add that we will most likely rent a car as that seems so more much conveinent over trying to load buses.

If you will be spending most of your time at MK (which you might be with a 6 yr old), the MK resorts are very convenient. The monorails are easy to get on with a wheelchair. They direct you to a car with a door that opens wide, put down a small ramp and you drive right on. The monorail stations from the resorts are level with the monorail rail. At MK or the TTC, you will need to go down a very steep ramp to get off and up a similar ramp to get back on the monorail. You can transfer monorails and get to Epcot by using the monorail too.

From Contemporary, it is actually possible to walk to MK. Depending on where your room is, that might be a faster option than riding the monorail.

We rent a van, but usually use the buses most of the time with DD's wheelchair. For us, it's easier to use the bus. Almost all of them are equipped with either ramps or lifts. If your son can easily transfer out of his wheelchair, get into the car and you can get the wheelchair into the car easily, using a car might work out better for you.

You need to know that the monorail ramp from MK is very steep. Other then that the monorail is easy to get on in a wheelchair.

Hello, My friend also has cerebral palsy and I pushed him in his wheelchair for our 8 day trip last year. The monorails were very easy to board, but those ramps really are steep so you do have to hold on tight on the way down. However, I found the buses to me an absolute pleasure. I actually felt a little guilty because no matter how many people were waiting for the bus, they always put us on first so we never had to wait. The drivers are pleasant and always took their time to make sure he was strapped in good.

Our daughter who is 20 has cp as well. We've stayed at the Polynesian many times and the GF four times with her. We also go to the CR to have dinner at CG. Her vote is the Polynesian or GF. At the CR the monorail station was retrofitted to add an elevator for access. She finds that area difficult to use as people block it and it is such a busy area.

But if you will be mostly at the MK a wing room might be extremely easy for you.

The GF has wall plates at the room doors which really helps. But the Polynesian provides easy access to the ferry or Epcot monorail without transferring monorails. It is a very short walk from Rapa Nui where the accessible rooms are to the TTC. Plus parking is more convenient at Rapa Nui than it is at the GF. There is a parking lot right outside the building.

Thanks for all the tips!!! I really don't know what to do at this point. The whole wheelchair issue is new to us as he has used his stroller as a wheelchair in the past. I am surprised to hear that the buses aren't terribly difficult- now I have some thinking to do!

We have stayed at the Contemp. our last two trips. Our DS-14 has CP and uses a manual wheelchair. The rooms at the CR are the largest on the property (I think...) and were very easy to move the wheelchair around in. We have requested a North Garden Wing room each time, which makes the walk to MK so convenient. The monorail was also super easy - when you board at the CR, they ask where you will be getting off, and when you get there, another Cast Member is ready with the ramp to roll chair off! Just like MAGIC! :cool1:

The advantage to the CR is that you can actually walk to the MK.

But for sheer convenience, the Royal Palm Club (main Building) of the GF is simply the best.

Anne

princess mom of 4, I think the rooms in Rapa Nui are even larger than almost all rooms in the CR. They are around 470 ft according to Tikiman...I forget the exact sq footage. But someone posted about a room at one of the bends in a wing at CR and said how large that room was. Was that you?

You had no difficulty with the elevators at CR? Maybe the difference is seeing an adult push the wheelchair as opposed to people not making room for our daughter who is unimposing in her powerchair? :confused3

Ducklite, I agree that the Rpyal Palm Club is convenient for getting to the MK and for dining at the GF. But it is not nearly as convenient for Epcot as Rapa Nui is. Doing the ramps twice at the TTC is not fun with a manual chair. And taking the ferry to the TTC and making the very short walk to Rapa Nui is easy and a faster return than the monorail is to the GF from the MK. Parking is much easier as well unless you choose to pay for valet at RPC. Even then Rapa Nui is a quicker walk to the car....the parking lot is so close. And the prices of RPC make it outrageous for many for a long trip.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter