• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Wheelchair Accident at MK

For me, I think it kinda boils down to two possible scenarios, If it's an accident, the correct response is "OMGosh are you OK, I am so sorry" in which case I will respond with respect. But when you ram me, and it's obvious, and you do not apologize, be prepared for confrontation. :thumbsup2

We attended MVMCP at the MK last week. While walking through a crowded section of Fantasyland, we heard someone behind us say “these people are moving too slow”. The next minute, a wheelchair hit me in the leg. The woman in the wheelchair was being pushed by someone who appeared to be in her teens. I stopped and the girl said “are you ok”. I answered that my leg was bleeding. The family stood for a minute or two and left. I went to the First Aid Station for ice and was advised to get a Tetanus shot because the gash was caused by the metal foot rest.

First, I know wheelchairs in crowded areas can result in accidents. I did go to a clinic for the shot, but my leg is bruised, cut and sore. Please be careful and realize when parks are crowded no one is going to get anywhere fast!
And, people get injured.

Ouch sorry that happened to you. I have had my share of incidents at Disney and it includes being sat on twice! I had my hand stepped on in October while I tied my shoe. I will admit I was chewing gum and I spit it out on accident and it landed on a woman's foot who was wearing flip flops and I immediately apologized to her for that.

I get the complaints -- I was a stroller-free WDW fan for a long time. But at the same time, I think people attribute more fault to stroller pushers than is always warranted. Very often, people step in front of a stroller or, especially, come to a stop in front of a stroller more suddenly than the stroller pusher can react!

Thats the one thing that always comes up. This is not what the op was complaining about its when you are stuck in a slow moving group of people leaving the park and the stroller and ecv users have "accidents" where they ram your leg with their stroller or ecv and that can not be excused on the grounds of people stepping front of them and if they do stop in front its because the crowd has moved and they cant go through the person in front of them.

My boyfriend used a power wheelchair. We linger after Wishes, Fantasmic, or Illuminations. Sometimes we are the last people out of Fantasmic or close to the last people out of Epcot.

His safety is more important than getting out of the park quickly, plus Epcot is very romantic with the background music playing and no people ;).

I was walking down MS after the parade one fine day when I was hit in the back of the knee (I am VERY short, about five feet tall) by a woman driving a stroller and, wait for it, talking on her cell phone!!!

I turn around and smile politely, telling her "Please don't ram into me."

And she did it again two minutes later!

So, in one of my not-so-fine moments, I wheeled around and snapped "Will you please stop?! I've got bad knees!"

I was walking down MS after the parade one fine day when I was hit in the back of the knee (I am VERY short, about five feet tall) by a woman driving a stroller and, wait for it, talking on her cell phone!!!

So, in one of my not-so-fine moments, I wheeled around and snapped "Will you please stop?! I've got bad knees!"

You said please, TWICE! You responded way better than I would have :thumbsup2

WDWCPSydney said:

You handled that much better than I would have. Did she stop?

Not exactly an accident involving people, but I saw an older lady in an ECV in a hurry to leave the Land Pavilion in Epcot that she didn't wait for the automatic doors to open. She slammed right into then causing them to come undone. There was several people coming & going, glad she didn't maul any of those people. She was embarrassed & apologized to everyone around her, which I am glad she stuck around for the CMs, who said it was the first time they ever seen anyone slam into the doors that hard.

We attended MVMCP at the MK last week. While walking through a crowded section of Fantasyland, we heard someone behind us say “these people are moving too slow”. The next minute, a wheelchair hit me in the leg. The woman in the wheelchair was being pushed by someone who appeared to be in her teens. I stopped and the girl said “are you ok”. I answered that my leg was bleeding. The family stood for a minute or two and left. I went to the First Aid Station for ice and was advised to get a Tetanus shot because the gash was caused by the metal foot rest.

First, I know wheelchairs in crowded areas can result in accidents. I did go to a clinic for the shot, but my leg is bruised, cut and sore. Please be careful and realize when parks are crowded no one is going to get anywhere fast!
And, people get injured.
I still contend that they should have been kept there and security called and discussion of making amends completed. Shouldn't they pay for expedited transportation to the clinic and the tetanus shot?

My boyfriend used a power wheelchair. We linger after Wishes, Fantasmic, or Illuminations. Sometimes we are the last people out of Fantasmic or close to the last people out of Epcot.

His safety is more important than getting out of the park quickly, plus Epcot is very romantic with the background music playing and no people ;).

This is a great solution. We don't use strollers or wheelchairs in the parks, but we too prefer to hang back a bit and wait for the crowd to thin.

I am sorry OP. Last trip was the first time I was ram by a stroller we usually stay away from them to avoid this issues.

We were going to the ferry and I got ram by the stroller. I didn't even hear a sorry so my husband gave a dirty look back and he said I am sorry. Well not 5 sec later the wife tells the husband in another language not to worry about it next time "let her do it". She didn't know we understood so next time before she did it I kicked back as she was coming at me (the kid was not in the stroller, Grandma was holding her). The stroller jerk back and hit her in her stomach. I looked back and told and said "I am sorry" in that other language. Lets said they stir clear of us and stopped ramming people with the stroller at least for that little bit.

And, people get injured.

OMG I got hit by one too in line for TSM. They did it at least 4 or 5 times. It was on my last nerve but I never said anything..... They even cut in line.... Feel better!

As I have said before and will say again, the people on those EVCs may not be any worse then people not on them, but since they are on the machine that can cause serious harm, they need to be more patient and more understanding than everyone else. Sorry, it's just the way it is.

I had always heard stories, but until my two yr old daughter was almost run over by one (video of the incident linked below), I had figured it was more of just freak accidents. Since this day, I have really started to pay more attention and no other crowded area I have ever been to has quite a collection like Disney.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q_mugfllxiU&feature=g-crec-u

MK seems to be the place where people lose control in crowds I am having a hard time convincing my fella to spend time at MK on our next trip, since our last was so horrible. It was early November a few years back and for some reason or another we chose poorly and MK filed up. Both of us went back to the hotel with bruised calves and I took a wicked blow to the Achilles' tendon from being bashed from behind by strollers. At first I chalked up to the 'crowd', but it became painfully apparent that people were using their strollers to push and prod people out of their way. What are you going to do? Turn around and have a confrontation over their child? In a slow moving herd of people? So we got of their way. Shockingly, this happened numerous times that day. I guess not, since it worked on us.

I imagine it's more it's just that it's crowded more often, so folks loose their patience and forget about the strength of their vehicles.

Especially awkward when you couple it with folks without vehicles getting impatient and cutting off those with vehicles constantly which encourages folks with vehicles to be more aggressive.

LOL - a wee bit of sarcasm in her voice, perhaps?

If someone hit me hard enough to draw blood, they'd have another problem on their hands, or laps - the sight of blood might cause me to hurl. Something for the stroller-rammers to consider; the possibility that someone would turn around and barf on their child..... :scared1:

:rotfl2::rotfl2::rotfl2::rotfl2:

I imagine it's more it's just that it's crowded more often, so folks loose their patience and forget about the strength of their vehicles.

Especially awkward when you couple it with folks without vehicles getting impatient and cutting off those with vehicles constantly which encourages folks with vehicles to be more aggressive.

This is inexcusable. Look at how truck drivers (18 wheelers) drive and that should be how users of EVCs should be. You are in the larger vehicle that can cause the most damage, you have to restrain and just be patient. You cannot, under any circumstance, become inpatient when you are using something that can cause serious harm to those around you. That type of selfishness should be immediate cause for revokation of your privelage to use your vehicle in public.

LSUfan4444 said:
This is inexcusable. Look at how truck drivers (18 wheelers) drive and that should be how users of EVCs should be. You are in the larger vehicle that can cause the most damage, you have to restrain and just be patient. You cannot, under any circumstance, become inpatient when you are using something that can cause serious harm to those around you. That type of selfishness should be immediate cause for revokation of your privelage to use your vehicle in public.

And to that end walkers should also stop cutting off evc's. Yes I've run into my share of people, but most of them are idiots who decide oh let's jump in front of a moving machine. Folks evc's don't have brakes. So if you stop in front or jump in front one, you will get clipped.

And by the same token, pedestrians shouldn't jaywalk either.

And to that end walkers should also stop cutting off evc's. Yes I've run into my share of people, but most of them are idiots who decide oh let's jump in front of a moving machine. Folks evc's don't have brakes. So if you stop in front or jump in front one, you will get clipped.

As the operator of the machine that can cause the harm, you have to accept the most responsibility. Even if that means you pull aside and wait until the crowd thins out.

As the user, you accept knowldge that there are idiots present, but you have to give right of way, all the time, every time. So you have to to give extra room, you have to go slow, you might even have to leave early or stay later, but to put yourself in the middle of that much pedestrian traffic is just selfish. You have options, if you choose not to use them you should not place blame on anyone else nor call them an idiot.

The place is filled with kids of all ages and people who are exhausted with dozens of things on their mind and your vehicle (which you have admitted you do not have complete control over) can be the difference between an "Excuse me, I'm sorry" and a trip to the infirmary or hospital.

LSUfan4444 said:
As the operator of the machine that can cause the harm, you have to accept the most responsibility. Even if that means you pull aside and wait until the crowd thins out.

As the user, you accept knowldge that there are idiots present, but you have to give right of way, all the time, every time. So you have to to give extra room, you have to go slow, you might even have to leave early or stay later, but to put yourself in the middle of that much pedestrian traffic is just selfish. You have options, if you choose not to use them you should not place blame on anyone else nor call them an idiot.

The place is filled with kids of all ages and people who are exhausted with dozens of things on their mind and your vehicle (which you have admitted you do not have complete control over) can be the difference between an "Excuse me, I'm sorry" and a trip to the infirmary or hospital.

Would you cut in front on an 18 wheeler in your car? No because you know the truck cannot stop on a dime. And just like the 18 wheeler, we have just as much rights to the road as you. To get respect, you must give respect. We are not the intruders to your domain, its ours as well. We can be as cautious as possible, but it'll still happen because walkers think they deserve all the courtesy. I'm sorry, ill be as careful as I can but if you think just because you are able to walk you have the right of way, you are seriously mistaken.

And by the same token, pedestrians shouldn't jaywalk either.

Anyone who is old enough to obtain a driver's license and does not understand that the more power you have the more responsibility you have should have their privelage taken away.

Your vehicle (whether it be your automobile or personal dissability aid) should require an understanding that preventing an accident should awlays start with "what can I do to prevent this". Defensive driving srarts with a constant alertness and awareness that people will do something unexpected and if I am not prepared to handle that, it's my fault. I accept the privelage of the of the car, truck or EVC and therefore I bare more of the responsibility.

The trend of people in our society to constantly say what they could have done to prevent and accident I was involved in is sad.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter