wheat flour shelf-life

RumpleMom

DIS Veteran
How long does King Arthur 100% wheat flour last?

I can't see a use by date on the package. It has been open, but kept inside of a plastic container in the pantry. It's over a year old. Is it still good to use for pumpkin bread or not?

Just check its not got flour weevils (little moving specks - if the specks don't move its bran;)) I don't know the brand, but if its organic it can be a problem as the flour is not blasted with chemicals:rolleyes1 If its in Tupperware or similar it will keep longer than in the packet, and should be fine for pies. (If you can see through the sides of the container sometimes you can see little clusters of darker matter which can be weevils.)

Some whole wheat can go rancid if left out too long. King Arthur makes a white whole wheat that I think will last longer than a traditional whole wheat. To avoid this exact problem, I keep mine in the freezer.

Thank you. I was thinking about making a pumpkin bread with regular and whole wheat flour. My grocery store has no canned pumpkin whatsoever. I recall reading a newspaper article about pumpkins being in short supply due to a crop failure, so I don't think I'll be baking pumpkin bread any time soon.

Also the price for jack-o-lantern pumpkins will be higher this year.

:scared1: I've got two growing in the garden (well, DS(10) has:rolleyes1) but neither is very big yet.:sad2:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter