WhatsApp Calling

petbren

DIS Veteran
Anyone use this app?
We usually get ROAM but even without data, it will be $33 for our trip, that's half a new Pandora charm for momma.:)
We will be leaving our DS19 at home so need to be in touch.

As long as you're connected via WiFi this works well. i've used it to call from UK to USA and it was "free" (on the wifi)

I recommend discussing with your friends on what's popular with them and then try to standardize. BBM, iMessage, and Skype are alternatives.

All of these messaging apps use wifi or cellular data.

My whole family is on it (including relatives... apparently it's the message app of choice if you're of HK Chinese descent) so my mom uses it to message me. But because I turned off notifications and check it maybe once a day, she actually texts me to check it.

In any case, it works well. Assuming I check the doggone thing, of course.

Magic jack is also really good. I just use the resort and park wifi and don't worry about paying roaming charges

My family used to use it a lot to communicate when one of my brothers first went away to Australia but use Facebook messenger now.

I've used Whatsapp once to actually call one of my friends who lives in Bahrain, and while it works great for messaging her, it didn't work at all for calling. I'm not sure if the internet on one end or the other was too slow or what was going on, but we weren't able to talk at all through it. Usually when we're in Disney, we'll either use Skype or one of my relatives has a magic jack, and that's always worked well for them.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter