What's your tried and tested motion sickness remedy?

lelalittlelegs

Mouseketeer
Do you take pills? Wear something around your wrist? Drink only ginger ale? Wear a patch? Dance naked into the eye of the storm on your verandah?

What's your tried and tested motion/sea sickness cure? :scared:

Dramamine for sure. Only a half dose, as it made me tired, but I took it the first night of the cruise and was fine the next morning

lelalittlelegs said:
Do you take pills? Wear something around your wrist? Drink only ginger ale? Wear a patch? Dance naked into the eye of the storm on your verandah?

I like the last one too.
Or dress in drag and do the hula!! Arrre you achin' for some bacon?

Ends lion king jokes.... now. :)

I've only gotten motion sick once in 12 cruises. The weather was very rough and there were lots of crew members ill. I do not take any medication or have any techniques.

My partner gets motion sickness. She can't be in the passenger seat of a car or do attractions like mission:space (even the light version) as everyday examples.

She takes Dramamine, full strength, as needed. The non-drowsy version/Bonine does nothing for her. Ginger ale is also soothing. People swear by sea bands but all the research I've seen shows it's nothing more than a placebo effect. Which is great if you get uneasy but not if you truly suffer from the inner ear condition that creates motion sickness.

The patch also works but comes with a different set of side effects such as dry mouth. You really have to put it on before cruising and ensure you have one for the duration. We have found that if it falls off during activities such as diving, snorkeling or swimming that she is in FAR worse shape than without any medication.

Hope that helps.

I take Ginger Root once a day about a week before the cruise and through out. We leave on Sunday so I have already started this. You can get them from GNC for about 9 bucks. All other meds make me ill.

I've only gotten motion sick once in 12 cruises. The weather was very rough and there were lots of crew members ill. I do not take any medication or have any techniques.

My partner gets motion sickness. She can't be in the passenger seat of a car or do attractions like mission:space (even the light version) as everyday examples.

She takes Dramamine, full strength, as needed. The non-drowsy version/Bonine does nothing for her. Ginger ale is also soothing. People swear by sea bands but all the research I've seen shows it's nothing more than a placebo effect. Which is great if you get uneasy but not if you truly suffer from the inner ear condition that creates motion sickness.

The patch also works but comes with a different set of side effects such as dry mouth. You really have to put it on before cruising and ensure you have one for the duration. We have found that if it falls off during activities such as diving, snorkeling or swimming that she is in FAR worse shape than without any medication.

Hope that helps.

DH gets motion sick very easily and once it hits he is doomed. We tried our first cruise last year (4 nights). The patch worked amazing! The dry mouth was mildly annoying but he didn't feel sick at all. I had heard about terrible side effects from the patch so he tried it at home before we went to see how it affected him, within an hour of putting it on he was playing a shaking video game that would normally make him really sick.

Alcohol, you can't tell if it is the ship or you.:lmao: It also helps calm your nerves and helps with anxiety. Cheers!:thumbsup2

The thing about sea sickness is that by the time you have it, the remedies don't work as well. The secret to sea sickness is to nip it in the bud before it hits and be proactive. Therefore, I swear by Bonine (active ingredient meclizine). I start taking it before I even get on the ship and then every morning and bedtime while on the cruise. I have not been sea sick yet, and I get car sick quite easily.

I can't remember if they have lemon slices available, but lick/suck on one when the feeling starts. Nips it in the bud for us right away! Haven't a clue why.

SEA SICKNESS GAME PLAN

When discussing sea sickness, we should look at an overall game plan (and not just focus on ginger, medications, or wrist bands). So here are my recommendations, that have worked for me:

MEDS: If you've never taken motion sickness medication, experiment before the cruise. Find out how these things affect you before you get on the ship.
They affect different people in different ways.

When do most people begin to feel queasy? My guess is the first evening. This may not be true for everybody, but I think that most folks need to get their 'sea legs.'

T-1 DAY AND COUNTING: The first move is to take a ginger tablet (or chew) the morning and/or evening before your sail date. If you take it in the morning, take another one before bed. Be sure to eat something with these things, because they will leave a bad taste in the back of your throat. Ginger is supposed to be good for you.

SAIL DAY: Start the day with a reasonable breakfast. Try to avoid anything too heavy or greasy. On this day, I stay away from sausage, bacon, and acidic juices (like OJ or grapefruit juice). Take your ginger tablet with breakfast so you don't get that icky taste in your throat. It's said that you don't want to start your cruise with an empty stomach, but you also don't want to start with your stomach stuffed full. Our stomachs will be stuffed later; why rush it!

Next, think about getting your body hydrated. I personally start chugging lots of water. Watch out for beverages that dehydrate you like coffee or tea. I mean, drink it but try not to go overboard (pun intended). If possible, drink your cup(s) of coffee early.

MEDS PRIOR TO EMBARKING: This is where I apply the (Scopolamine) patch - around 11:30am so it has time to kick in before we set sail around 5pm. If you are taking oral meds, follow the directions accordingly. After we set sail, it is probably too late if you begin to feel queasy and nauseous.

EMBARK: Once you've boarded the ship, choose your lunch food carefully. I've heard that bread is good. Now is a good time to take another ginger tablet. Remember to stay hydrated (H20 - wink). Also, think about other remedies for which you have an interest. For me, I pop in an Altoid from time to time because some say peppermint helps. For others, maybe this is a good time to wear that wrist band.

Next, if you are seriously worried (like me) of getting seasick, then drink alcohol with reason or not at all. Don't get me wrong, I love a beer or 6 , but I'm holding back on day 1.

BED TIME: I take off the patch before bed. If the seas are real rough, maybe leaving it on is the right move. This is a personal decision/risk. If you are feeling fine, then go ahead and remove it.

In conclusion, most people will be fine with the meds and/or ginger and don't need to go thru such preparations. My game plan is to prepare for the worst and hope for the best. After 7 cruises, so far so good!

Just curious ....did u have a bad experience with sea sickness/ do you know you have a history with it? My plan is to wear sea bands and pack bonine just incase. I have had no cruise experience for a long long time and back then had no problems .

Just curious ....did u have a bad experience with sea sickness/ do you know you have a history with it? My plan is to wear sea bands and pack bonine just incase. I have had no cruise experience for a long long time and back then had no problems .

I have been sea sick on smaller boats. It is one of the worst feelings I have ever experienced. I would MUCH RATHER deal with the side effects of Bonine or a patch!!

I don't believe in Sea Bands.

If you wait to take Bonine AFTER you start feeling the effects of motion sickness, it is too late!

I get sick the min. The ship starts moving so I put on a patch before I get on the ship. The first cruise I took I was sick 3 out of 4 days I hated that cruise but my mom told me about the patch and now I love to cruise

I get motion sickness very, very easily ever since I was a kid. Here is what I do:

1. Every morning, I take a half a Dramamine tablet. If needed, I will take an additional tablet. I was on a Princess cruise in Europe and the motion was so bad that people could not walk because they were falling over and that was a 2 tablet Dramamine day.

2. If out on an excusion or on the airplane, I keep a bag of peppermints handy and put one in my mouth. I read a few years ago that peppermint helps and ever since, that is my trick that has helped me as I have travelled all over the world - on tiny airplanes, in fast moving cabs, or on rocky ships. It even helps me sometimes on my daily bus ride to work.

I have had no problems when I cruise. I tried the patch on my very first cruise and the dry mouth was SO horrible that I took it off an started the 1/2 tablet of Dramamine.

My doctor called me in an Rx for the patches. Be forewarned, even with insurance, they can be expensive!

I have an inner ear imbalance/vertigo, so I can get off-balance even on dry land, so I was very nervous about getting sick on the water. The patch worked wonderfully for me. I had no issues on either of my cruises. I did have a bit of dry mouth, but as far as motion sickness- none!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

Latest posts

facebook twitter