What's your take on...

I guess in the scheme of things, I'm not seeing a difference. In one case they've added a $4/adult surcharge to the menu price. While the other case would be to keep the menu price the same, and have a separate line-item for the $4/adult surcharge. If they keep the same menu price and don't tell you or list the additional $4 charge, then in that case, I completely agree with you.

Two people on the AOL message boards reported having an additional surcharge of either $4 or $5 dollars added to their bills on top of the regular price for the meal. In one person's case they had a party of 7 so the cost of the surcharge was no small chunk of change.

Why would Disney do this? Don't they make enough off of their $2.50 bottles of water? Are they trying to discourage people from eating at the sit down restaurants? Do they think that everyone is made of money?

Seems like they are taking advantage of people. Greed breeds contempt. I've talked to alot of people who are not going back to WDW for a few years. They are sick of being taken for a ride.

When we were there in December (16-27) they had the higher prices at all the buffets and character meals, so when I learned about it I modified some of our ADRs.
I'm not paying $27 for breakfast at Chef Mickey - no way.

Now Disney is adding so many "holiday periods" that last a month when the real holiday is only 1 day, the surcharge is going to be applied half the year.
It's ridiculous!

I have no problem changing menu prices for whatever reason.

I can choose an item and know the price.

A "surcharge" is an added expense on the ticket.
That would not be welcome, and I would likely find a way not to be paying it.

I am not sure where the difference is. In my opinion Disney is effectively getting around using the word surcharge by simply raising the menu price. They have made it so you cannot get around it. You either pay the higher price to eat there or you don't eat at there! If I were to travel during the "extended holiday period" I would not eat at these resturants.

I think it's ridiculous, granted we do the dining plan so it doesn't really matter, but still, the entire month of June? Exactly which holiday are we celebrating there? Father's Day? I can see ON the actual holiday when there is a special meal, but for an entire month, what are they thinking?

Well, certainly not a rumor, but rather fact.

As for the increase, it is common place for some restaurants everywhere to charge a high charge on certain holidays. I have no problem with Disney charging what the market will bear. I would like it to be less, but, it is a business, looking for maximum profit.

I am not sure where the difference is. In my opinion Disney is effectively getting around using the word surcharge by simply raising the menu price. They have made it so you cannot get around it. You either pay the higher price to eat there or you don't eat at there! If I were to travel during the "extended holiday period" I would not eat at these resturants.

In my opinion the "hidden surcharge" (adding it to the menu price) is sneakier than the one stated on the bill, as long as, you are advised of such a line-item surcharge ahead of time. In one case, most people probably don't even realize they're being hit with the charge, while in the other case they are aware.

When I look at a menu and the soup's price is $8.50, I can then choose the soup.
I see the Ribs cost $22.50, I can then choose the ribs.

If the bill comes and the Soup charge is $8.50,
the Ribs charge is $22.50...
and there is ANOTHER charge of $4.00 added onto the bill for a surcharge, that is an ASTOUNDING difference.
I know that tax will be added. It always has been that way.
I know that guests are expected to tip the wait-staff. It always has been that way.

If I don't like the price for an item, I won't order it.
I will choose something that I find more attractively priced.

But if they simply ADD an up-charge to the ticket, that is unacceptable.

That is the difference, and its a big one.

Two people on the AOL message boards reported having an additional surcharge of either $4 or $5 dollars added to their bills on top of the regular price for the meal. In one person's case they had a party of 7 so the cost of the surcharge was no small chunk of change.

Absolutely, 7 @ $4 is going to add about $33 to the bill, as I'm assuming they have the 18% tip on the $4 charges as well.

It's absurd. Meals at Disney are expensive enough as it is. Won't affect me as I don't go during holiday periods, but I think people that do have a right to be upset.

All of JUNE is considered a holiday now. So if you go at any time in June you will pay the higher surcharge!!! RIP OFF

The CM making ADR for June was not aware of the surcharge until I asked and she checked with a supervisor. Needless to say it changed some of my plans.

My point about this being a RUMOR still stands.

The only info posted is about raising menu prices.

BUT-

There is also discussion here about checks having an ADDITIONAL ITEM SURCHARGE ($4-$5 per person??) ADDED.

(All the following are edited-for-length quotes from this thread.)

...But this surcharge on top of the higher cost for sit down meals
I'm reading that people are unaware but when they get their bill they see a $4or $5 surcharge per person.
...certain restaurants menu prices will stay the same, but during certain time periods there will be an added surcharge!!

Do they simply raise the prices on the menu items?

Or do they add a separate charge on the check?

Or is this all just a rumor to stir things up?

That's the :stir: part of this.

I am waiting to see confirmation of this.

Otherwise, its just a rumor.

--------------------------------------
BUT-

There is also discussion here about checks having an ADDITIONAL ITEM SURCHARGE ($4 per person??) ADDED.

Oherwise, its just a rumor.

I agree, I have not heard of a "surcharge" other than that is what people are calling the raising of the menu prices during specific time periods. The fact is most people at Disney would not even know that if they had been there at another time they would have paid less! Plus, the practice is actually not all that uncommon, most seasonal areas have a peak season price and off season price (directed at locals). The main difference is that we have a thousand people sitting around talking about what Disney does! :rotfl2:

P.S. they have been doing the same thing with Hotel rates for years, if you go in summer it is more expensive than October.

I do agree, that it is pretty ridiculous. It's bad enough we have to pay higher rates for hotels during busy times, now we have to pay more money for food THE WHOLE TIME WE ARE THERE! I don't see the justification here, a restaurant can only serve a set amount of people in a day, just because it's June 20th that doesn't change. It's not like it's a special menu, like for a holiDAY. They do this because they can, they know little Johnny's Mom will pay the extra dollars so little Johnny can eat with Mickey.

UGH!

BUT-

There is also discussion here about checks having an ADDITIONAL ITEM SURCHARGE ($4-$5 per person??) ADDED.

(All the following are edited-for-length quotes from this thread.)

Otherwise, its just a rumor.

You know what, I am not stirring the pot. It's being REPORTED as a surcharge by Deb on her sight. It's being REPORTED as a surcharge by other posters. Do I have access to their bill? No but I do believe the people who have reported it as they are long time posters.

Now, you can call it a surcharge or you can simply say they raised the price during "x" period of time. :teacher: It doesn't matter. What does matter is that they are doing this, it's not a RUMOR up until now, and I wanted to know how other posters felt. End of story. :thumbsup2

Thanks for the link to the other thread as well. This is the first day that I have heard about it and I am a bit ticked off. :mad:

P.S. they have been doing the same thing with Hotel rates for years, if you go in summer it is more expensive than October.

While I am aware and used to this practice I am not aware that the hotels raise their restaurant prices during peak season as well.

You know what, I am not stirring the pot. It's being REPORTED as a surcharge by Deb on her sight. It's being REPORTED as a surcharge by other posters. Do I have access to their bill? No but I do believe the people who have reported it as they are long time posters.

Now, you can call it a surcharge or you can simply say they raised the price during "x" period of time. :teacher: It doesn't matter. What does matter is that they are doing this, it's not a RUMOR up until now, and I wanted to know how other posters felt. End of story. :thumbsup2

Thanks for the link to the other thread as well. This is the first day that I have heard about it and I am a bit ticked off. :mad:

I'm not saying that YOU are doing this.

I'm saying that the info YOU FOUND ($4 - $5 SURCHARGE ITEM added to checks at WDW)
may be a RUMOR.

You posted it in hopes of finding out more info, didn't you?

Others here (not knowing) took off and started running with the rumored info.

And that just continues to :stir: with no confirmation of its validity.

As far as I know, there is no confirmation that there is a $4 - $5 SURCHARGE ITEM added to checks at WDW.

I'm sorry if you thought I was pointing at YOU.

I quoted the posts that have unconfirmed info.
There's nothing else I can do to confirm the unknown.

It sounds like these price increases affect only those who are not on the meal plan? Am I correct in assuming this? Now if there is a surcharge, in addition to or possibly instead of an increase, will we have to pay OOP for this even though we're on the meal plan?:confused3

I'm not saying that YOU are doing this.

I'm saying that the info YOU FOUND ($4 - $5 SURCHARGE ITEM added to checks at WDW)
may be a RUMOR.

You posted it in hopes of finding out more info, didn't you?

Others here (not knowing) took off and started running with the rumored info.

And that just continues to :stir: with no confirmation of its validity.

As far as I know, there is no confirmation that there is a $4 - $5 SURCHARGE ITEM added to checks at WDW.

I'm sorry if you thought I was pointing at YOU.

I quoted the posts that have unconfirmed info.
There's nothing else I can do to confirm the unknown.

Whew! :laughing: I thought you meant ME, specifically!

As far as the posters who reported this goes, I have "known" them from the AOL boards for years. I have no reason not to believe what they report. That combined with the website info provided by Deb's site, all tell me that it's true. I guess I don't think it's "unconfirmed" information. I have never had any reason to not believe Deb's site as well.

Now that you mention it though, I would like to know if anyone has info on wether it will continue from Memorial Day weekend through July 5, as I had read. Now that, is unconfirmed information. :hippie:

I called for my June ADR asked about the holiday pricing. The CM put me on hold came back and said that the new policy is that there will be a holiday surcharge from Memorial Day to July 5. She then quoted me the new prices for every restaurant I booked.

Does this help????

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter