whats your storm plan?

Yes but invest in the good ponchos the $1 Kind are useless!!! Ball caps and crocs worked great too. iPhone worked through the ziplock --- I preferred it to HOT HOT HOT!

One of the best things we did was to buy non-plastic camping type ponchos. My dh is very tall and the plastic ones didn't cover him enough and these come in sizes. I bought the largest size for short me, and it means I can sit on a bench after the rain and not get wet.. priceless. I remember the old days when they used to squeegee the benches dry :cheer2:

A Tink cap under the hood keeps the rain off my face and glasses, wear Crocs Cayman and dry them after the rain and carry extra dry socks.

We arrived Wednesday and were in Epcot when it started pouring. We were leaving the Seas when we saw it was raining. Waited a few minutes, it didn't let up, so we bought ponchos and went on. Thursday it rained most of the day from Andrea; we put on our ponchos, ball caps, Keens, and went to DHS as planned.

Yes but invest in the good ponchos the $1 Kind are useless!!! Ball caps and crocs worked great too. iPhone worked through the ziplock --- I preferred it to HOT HOT HOT!

I thought we were prepared with our Dollar Store ponchos. We were at Epcot & AK on Wednesday. Left Epcot at 12:00 and we were on the parking tram to AK when it started raining sideways. That one was a short burst and we quickly dried off. It started back up at 4:30ish when we were riding EE and stuck around for 3 or 4 hours. Our plan was to leave AK at 5:00, go back to Epcot, ride TT again with fast passes we got earlier, eat dinner around the World Showcase and watch Illuminations. By the time we got to the car, we were soaked - socks, sneakers, clothes - cold and tired. You are right...those $1 ponchos are worthless. They don't cover the arms and they are NOT long enough at all! My husband suggested we stop by our condo to change clothes and shoes...big mistake...we never made it to Epcot. Dh, DD14 & DS16 all got warm and dry and fell asleep on me:confused:. I was so bummed! Next time we will have flip flops, good long ponchos and ball caps for the rain!!! Don't know if even that would have helped with our Thursday morning plans though. DH & DS were supposed to play golf at the Magnolia Course that morning and it got cancelled.

Depends on the temperature. Most trips we take it is very warm. Wear clothing that is still fairly comfortable when wet and enjoy the decreased crowds. Not a good time to go in the shops as they will be mobbed during downpours, but I am not a shopper anyway.

Really I think the key is your choice of clothing. Nothing that soaks up water, gets heavy and makes you feel like you are walking around in your own personal steambath.

If its a stormy day is MK better to be in than AK?

AK is nice in the rain especially in the hot weather as the animals tend to be more active when it's raining than they are when it's really hot. Some animals that would be sitting in the shade mid day may be up and playing in the rain.

And they don't even use ponchos so you get a great view..:)

When I went this past december it rained on and off almost everyday. I had brought a rain cover for the stroller and my little one hardy got wet at all. We had brought good quality rain jackets (not those sticky annoying ponchos) and rain boots/water proof shoes (thank goodness!) PLus I had brought a camping micro-fiber towel so we towelled off when we got too wet. We just would go to the parks and do some of the more "indoorsy" rides. My kids loved walking and splashing in the rain. Plus we stopped to have lunch at sit down restaurants that way we spent a little more time inside enjoying our food. It cleared up We went to AK on the only day it was sunny. We still enjoyed our trip despite the rain and where happy to be somewhere like disney instead of a beach location or an all inclusive down south. THis was much more entertaining. DIsney in the rain is just as magical.

We have been lucky with rain b/c it usually just rains for a short while and then stops...perfect for an ice cream break or some shopping. Otherwise, I pull out the ponchos from Dollar Tree...they take up very little space and are so cheap you can trash them when you are finished...Sometimes I pack enough for two day of rain ( again...they are cheap and dont take up space...)

Rain will drive away the crowds...so roll with it and enjoy the short lines! I do pack my hat though...b/c once hte rain stops, my frizzy curly hair will look awful! :thumbsup2

So I'm thinking we'll probably buy the ponchos for the the kids in the park since they can be replaced if the kids tear them. But I'm wondering for myself if I should bring my personal rain gear. I've got good lightweight goretex for backpacking. Coat and pants. It's light and doesn't take much space and would breath better than a poncho. But maybe it's just overkill. Plus a big part of me says that if it's 90+ degrees the rain's probably going to feel pretty good to me and I'd dry pretty quickly after it stops. I'm from the mountains in NC and our high for today is 74 so Florida's going to be a big change for us.

Any suggestions?

We've been very lucky that in 8 trips to the World, we've only had a couple of days of rain (cold is a different story since we often go in Jan). We put on ponchos and just keep going. One morning, we woke up to pouring rain on a day we had planned for a waterpark. It was supposed to stop raining later that morning, so we decided to go. The first couple of hours the park was absolutely empty. It was raining very lightly by that time, but our stuff was under one of the pavilions, so it stayed dry. We got to go on all the slides with no lines and my ds practically had the lazy river to himself. It was so much fun. By early afternoon, the sun was out and people were streaming in and we were walking out. It turned out to be one of the best days of our trip that year.

You get to the parks at rope drop and have the Magic Kingdom all to yourself!!!!

That was us for Tropical Storm Faye in 2008. We had the BEST time!!! My only regret is that it was our last day, so we had to cut things short to get our DME bus. We were the only ones on Small World, we rode Peter Pan several times, we walked right on Big Thunder... it was fabulous!!!

Pack ponchos and flip flops, and enjoy!!

We were there for TS Faye too!! It was the best trip we ever had!! It rained so much the entire trip. Donned Disney ponchos and sandals and off we went. We even left the stroller back at the villa and I wore DS1. The storm was so bad our return Amtrak Autotrain was canceled. Thank goodness I had started a back up plan on Monday so when the call came on Wednesday that the Thursday train was cancelled we had tickets for the Monday train. That's right we stayed an extra 5 days. :yay::yay: Loved that it was our first trip w/ AP's. It is the trip that the kids remember and say has been the best out of 9 trips.

We survived the moonsoon of May 2009 in WDW....AND Hurricane Sandy here @ the Jersey Shore...we can take that we can handle anything hahaha :lmao:

When it rains you should ALWAYS leave the park and don't come back. It is going to be wet and miserable and you won't have any fun.

Besides, it means shorter lines for me, because, I AIN'T GOIN' NOWHERE!!!:lmao:

Have poncho; will travel.

We were there for TS Faye too!! It was the best trip we ever had!! It rained so much the entire trip. Donned Disney ponchos and sandals and off we went. We even left the stroller back at the villa and I wore DS1. The storm was so bad our return Amtrak Autotrain was canceled. Thank goodness I had started a back up plan on Monday so when the call came on Wednesday that the Thursday train was cancelled we had tickets for the Monday train. That's right we stayed an extra 5 days. :yay::yay: Loved that it was our first trip w/ AP's. It is the trip that the kids remember and say has been the best out of 9 trips.
~I'm a TS Faye fan!!! :worship: :rotfl2: It was our most fabulous trip ever and I've never seen so much rain, lol. I even rode Astro Orbitor in the rain, just before they shut it down for safety and watched the fireworks in the rain, too!

When it rains you should ALWAYS leave the park and don't come back. It is going to be wet and miserable and you won't have any fun.

Besides, it means shorter lines for me, because, I AIN'T GOIN' NOWHERE!!!:lmao:

Have poncho; will travel.

I see what you are trying to do. Lol. I'm bringing ponchos...

we put on our ponchos and keep on going Unless theres Lightning then we take cover until the lightning stops. One other thing you can do if its a really rainy day or nasty weather would be to go to downtown Disney
Quest. Sure wish we would have had more time to spend down there as my whole family had a great time there.

We loved playing Wreck It Ralph video games along with alot of other classic video games. We also got on the Pirates 3D game it was a ton of family for our whole family to get in on and play at the same time.

There was alot of other stuff to play like the Nascar race games and the motorcycle games. hope in the car or on the motorcycle and have fun. There was even more to do but we ran out of time. But next time we will spend some more time down there.

While a week of solid non-stop rain would be terrible, one day or part of a day of rain can make for an adventure and some good family stories. :beach:

It changes plans and sometimes you discover something fun you weren't planning on visiting. With a little planning the whole family can go with the flow. Ponchos, ziplock bags, change of clothes, and by golly, we are soldiering on! And don't forget the automatically shorter lines! Just look at the map and go from indoor activity to indoor activity with a plan altered accordingly. You may move slower and need to wait at times, but again, that will be offset by less people and shorter lines.

Family pictures might be funny, too. :rotfl2:

I am probably in the minority, but we ended up leaving a day early. Tropical Storm Debby was hitting our last day and I was alone with my girls. One, I didn't want to spend the entire day in the parks being wet. I know crowds would be low, but I would be wet. Not my kind of fun. Two, I wanted to try to get ahead of the storm, as I was driving by myself to MD.

Im not sure what tropical storm that was that came over us while we were there But we LOVED IT the sun came out and we are about to melt or over heat.

I know its hard for people to believe that but We live in Wyoming at 7000' elevation and it snowed on us the week before we left. Monday before last when we left it was 39 degs in the morning and the frost was still melting off things here. so RAIN or SNOW are just part of life for us here Oh and WIND might not sound good to many but growing up here you get used to it but the heat takes a toll on us

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter