• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

What's your favorite resort and why--convince me!

DerangedChipmunk

Mouseketeer
So many to choose from! I'm overwhelmed!

What makes your favorite resort a cut above the rest? I'd love to hear.

--edit-- We're looking for a spot for a family of four, with kids ages 19 and 20, one boy one girl if that helps :) --edit--

Our favorite is the Poly and we love it for many reasons:

~ the laid back tropical atmosphere

~ the beach for watching the fireworks

~ Captain Cooks for quick CS meals/snacks

~ the volcano pool

~ Ohana's

~ it's on the monorail

~ the large, spacious rooms w/a daybed in every room

~ ability to walk to the TTC

:)

I've only actually stayed at one Disney resort but I just love it: AKL! My mom and I were thrilled to see the animals so close, and they don't look like they're in depressing, tiny enclosures like at some zoos. I also adore the AKL lobby, which blew me away the first night I arrived there. Stunning. Oh, and the food, it has some of my favorite food in WDW, but I might be biased because I'm vegan and like ethnic cuisine. AKL is an entire experience in itself, with all the little details they have. It's expensive but worth the money, in my opinion.

I think some older teens would enjoy AKL. :thumbsup2

Assuming your kids are okay sharing a room and a bathroom, pick AKL Kidani or Bay Lake Tower one bedroom.

The one bedroom has two complete bathrooms.

The master bedroom, with a king bed, is separate from the living room/full kitchen area. In the living room area there is a pull-out queen and a pull-out single sleeper chair. You will have a full washer and dryer in your villa.

I love Port Orleans French Quarter! It's quiet and quaint. The pool may be a little on the kiddie side but hey, isn't that what Disney is all about! You also have the option to take a boat ride to downtown Disney. The bus also picks up French Quarter guests first before Riverside. I'm a French Canadian so it all goes back to my roots.:thumbsup2

Assuming your kids are okay sharing a room and a bathroom, pick AKL Kidani or Bay Lake Tower one bedroom.

The one bedroom has two complete bathrooms.

The master bedroom, with a king bed, is separate from the living room/full kitchen area. In the living room area there is a pull-out queen and a pull-out single sleeper chair. You will have a full washer and dryer in your villa.

Sorry, I should have clarified. I'm actually the 19 year old :) I'm the disney nut in the family, so I'm doing a lot of the planning.

I'm trying to figure out what makes resorts across the price spectrum the best in their class, if you know what I mean, so that we can decide on which is the best fit for us.

Ours is the Wilderness Lodge, because it has a great location but still a secluded feel. It is a short boat ride from MK or the CR (and the monorail), and it is a nice walk through the woods to Fort Wilderness. It also helps that it is the least expensive of the "Deluxe" resorts and despite not having direct Monorail access it has lots of transportation options. The VWL is the DVC part of it, and that might offer more room and privacy for your family. We haven't stayed in VWL yet, but would like to.

for us it's The YC/BC resort.....this will be our third stay there.

~ walk to EPCOT (which is our favorite park)
~ Stormalong Bay (amazing pool area)
~ Love the staff
~ Boat ride to DHS (DD second favorite park)
~ nightly movies on the beach, we can usually catch part of one on our walk back from EPCOT
~ the Boardwalk is a short walk away
~ Beautiful Resort!!

My absolute favorite resort is the Wilderness Lodge for the following reason
1. Love the theme
2. Friendliest staff
3. All interior hallways
4. Johnna the bartender in the Territory Lounge is AWESOME.

What I would recommend for a family of 4 would depend on if you got one room or 2.

If you are getting one room - Go for the Polynesian. They actually have the largest square footage rooms. I took my parents there and the 3 of us stayed in one room with plenty of space (my mother is disabled and has a walker and a scooter and we still fit) and the rooms have 2 queen beds and a day bed that comfortably fits an adult.

If you are getting 2 rooms - my vote is WL. I have stayed at all the moderates and most of the deluxes and here are my thoughts.

1. The moderates all have separate buildings spread out over a larger area. When it rains and you want to go grab a soda, you have to go outside and hike up to the main part of the resort.
2. Love the Boardwalk for the location, but the dining options are all outside and there is not a true quick service
3. AKL - is a beautiful resort, but transportation time to the parks is too long.
4. GF is beautiful, but the people are not quite as friendly The has separate bldgs like mods unless you spend the big $ and stay RPC.
5. Beach Club - Loved the resort location and the pool, but had a not so Disney experience with check in at this hotel so I cannot recommend it.

I am sure you will get lots of interesting answers to this post.

for us it's The YC/BC resort.....this will be our third stay there.

~ walk to EPCOT (which is our favorite park)
~ Stormalong Bay (amazing pool area)
~ Love the staff
~ Boat ride to DHS (DD second favorite park)
~ nightly movies on the beach, we can usually catch part of one on our walk back from EPCOT
~ the Boardwalk is a short walk away
~ Beautiful Resort!!

I second the Beach Club for all of these reasons :thumbsup2

I second the Beach Club for all of these reasons :thumbsup2

I third the Beach Club! We just got back last week and I FELL IN LOVE! I've already booked another trip there for next spring, and am almost sad that we're staying in BLT this fall. :confused:

It's so beautiful, and it smells great in the lobby. :) I hung out in there for a while, just to enjoy the smell!

Also, I walked to Epcot one afternoon while my boys & DH slept (5 minute walk), just to get some coffee and go shopping in World Showcase. That was AWESOME!

Thanks for all of the opinions! They're all really helpful.

Personally, the Beach Club has always been my dream resort. Not sure what the prices will be like during the food and wine festival. Do you think that will be a problem?

Another Wilderness Lodge lover!

1) The hotel is themed beautifully (and seamlessly). There is even a geyser that erupts every hour.
2) The view of Bay Lake is great, AND the water parade comes to the hotel.
3) Magic Kingdom is a boat ride away or you can ride the boat to the Contemporary and ride the monorail or walk to the Magic Kingdom.
4) There are bike trails that connect the Wilderness Lodge to Ft. Wilderness (which of course has many other outdoor activities)
5) The pool is one of my favorites because of how seamless the theme works with the pool.
6) The food. After getting food poisoning at the Poly a couple years ago (it was out fav until that point because of the MK view) we decided to stick with the hotel that had our favorite restaurant Artists Point. Whispering Canyon has pretty good food too, and the Roaring Fork QS food is one of the best as well.
7) The price. It is one of the cheaper deluxe hotels, and I believe the cheapest MK resort. We spend most of our time at the MK so it makes sense to stay close.

I really enjoyed our stay at Coronado Springs Resort. The grounds and room are beautiful, there are four pools to choose from, and the CM's were super friendly. I would go back in a second if we could afford it. :cloud9:

My favorite is the Boardwalk Inn, and I always say it is a hidden gem. You are among many awesome restaurants, in walking distance to both EPCOT and Hollywood Studios and the hotel is so beautiful, with an amazing staff. Good luck and enjoy your trip!

My favorite resort is Port Orleans French Quarter. It used to be a hidden gem, but now is so well known that it generally either has a very small discount or none. The size of the resort and proximity of the amenities, the theming and sharing facilities with POR make this a great destination in the moderate category. Great place to stay.

Happy Planning pixiedust:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter