What's your favorite dining "hidden" gem?

Our best 'find' has definitely been 'Captain's Grille' in the Yacht Club, picked the morning of as it was our 'free' day when we hadn't made any plans. Was surprisingly quiet. I say surprisingly because it was soo good, service was excellent, food was excellent and one of the most reasonable costs we had. We are absolutely going back there again.

Our family agrees! Nice quiet, lovely, super delicious meal!

Just went in December. If you want a great steak Shutters at Caribbean Beach as just redeemed itself after an 8 year hiatus.

The Dinner was perfect..

A true hidden gem that we found on race weekend, everything booked up, was Turf Club at SSR. We are booking it again this trip. Great service, quiet, great steaks and prime rib and a view of the river. They even have a pool table while you wait. Really should try it

We have done Whispering Canyon cafe several times because we typically stay at the Wilderness Lodge. We tend to stay away from Disney Springs, as my kids are all about the parks, but maybe this trip they'd be willing to venture over.

I was looking at the Sanaa menu last night and while it would be a stretch on what I might eat, I think my kids might enjoy watching the animals while we eat.

We've looked at Sci-Fi in the past, but it's never appealed to my girls.

I will have to look at Narcoossee's a little more.

We will not have the dining plan because of the deal we booked, but I'm putting away at least what we would spend on the dining plan. We always had dessert on the dining plan, but it's not necessarily something we do in every day life. Thinking no dining plan will free us up to try some snacks we've never been hungry for before.

Sanaa was going to be my 1st choice...It's a totally different experience than any other imho....But If the kiddos are a lil picky w/ plainer food, this probably isn't the best option for you...

I also 2nd what bphilb said, with the Maya Grill...No love ever here, but great food, & service as well.
What about Yachtsman Steakhouse?

A true hidden gem that we found on race weekend, everything booked up, was Turf Club at SSR. We are booking it again this trip. Great service, quiet, great steaks and prime rib and a view of the river. They even have a pool table while you wait. Really should try it

OmG...How in the world did I forget about the absolute Best hidden Gem...

Yes never busy, very attentive waiters, AWESOME Prime Rib..... and nice scenery...too

Maybe not hidden, but it seems to be overlooked. I love, love, love Tusker House. We live outside of Chicago so we have a lot of different dining options at home, but a restaurant that has unusual and spicy fair, comes with a 'normal' kid selection, AND has selections that work for my pickiest picky of eaters father (I want a slab of meat with no sauce or seasoning beyond salt and pepper and plain veggies with butter, NOTHING else :sad2:) is so made of WIN, I can't tell you. :love: I'm not a huge fan of the Crystal Palace style of American food buffets, but having the option to try all sorts of things I've never heard of and just going back for something else if it doesn't work is wonderful. The kids even tried some of the lavosh and other breads. This only applies if you're looking to try something a little different with some spicy offerings though - if you're looking for blander fair, there isn't enough to make it a good option (dad wasn't thrilled to only have one offering of said slab of meat, but at least he could eat).

Thank for all your suggestions! I will look into some of the suggestions that we haven't tried yet to see if it will work for us. We use our table service as a way to relax before hitting the parks in the evening.

What are your favorite hidden gems that we might overlook?

I agree with Sanaa. Make a reservation for just after sunset and get there early for one of the best views anywhere at WDW. If you're visiting in the warmer months, it is much easier to stay outside for an extended period of time and enjoy a pre-dinner beverage with cooler temps.

4328280147_76fd7f6029_b.jpg

Beyond Sanna, I really like Tutto Gusto in Italy.

uytqwrsgdgsad54.jpg

1_Tutto.jpg

And even thought it isn't what it once was, I still like La Cava del Tequila.

I really like Mama Melrose's, both the times I have been. I had the steak the first time & the chicken parm the next. Both were really yummy!

OP, I just learned something new thanks to your question! I am recommending the take-out window at Trail's End at Ft. Wilderness, which apparently is now called P&J's Southern Take Out. We grabbed fried chicken dinners and just hung out at a picnic table. Sometimes it is nice to get away from all the activity at the parks :)

Il Mulino doesn't get a lot of press, but is very good, and you can get half portions of the pasta if you want to try more than one thing (also pretty kid-friendly that way, although they also have a kids menu). They also do not take the dining plan over at the Swan/Dolphin, so since you're not on the plan, maybe this is a good trip to try it.

Also a fan of Territory Lounge at WL, given that some other folks above were talking about lounge options. Our kids (and adults) enjoyed the fondue there as something a little different.

While we liked Sanaa we really like Boma for it's extensive food selection (has standard kids fare too if your kiddos are picky). We also enjoyed Teppan Edo & La Hacienda de San Angel in Epcot. Turf Club at SSR was one of our best meals last week - the shrimp & vegetable fettucine was really good too….we have lots of places we really like. Some are already on your list and many have already been mentioned...

Sanaa....amazing. My boys 11 and 8 still talk about it. They loved the naan appetizer!!! We all really liked Mama Melroses as well. We ate there for a late lunch to get our fantasmic tickets and all got the steak...it was delicious. Yachtmens steak was also very very good.

Since you have The Wave on your list already, I will mention California Grill's bar and lounge area. We order apps, salads, and drinks and have a wonderful view of the sunset over the Magic Kingdom. We don't feel as if we are missing out by not ordering entrees. No ADR is necessary, but we go early so we don't have to wait. Edit: just noticed that there are kids in your group. We have seen plenty of children at CG, but not in the lounge area.

We love Boma, for the same reasons mentioned above. It has a huge variety of food, to satisfy picky and adventurous eaters, and the food is good.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter