What's your experience w/ ADHD medications?

Luckymomoftwo

DIS Veteran
Did you have to put your child on medication for ADHD? What kind of side effects did they have? I want to be prepared and informed when I go to DD's pediatrician.

THANKS!!!

I am sure that you can find more information about possible side effects by searching for ADHD med side effects on the web. I know loss of appetite is a big one with a lot of kids.

My daughter is very ADHD but also is on the Autism Spectrum she has Aspbergers - before we knew she was on the spectrum the Dr had put her on Ridilin and that magnified her symtpoms of autism. She became very aggressive, would run away when she got upset among many other issues. Her brother was diagnosed with moderate autism about the year before he is just over a year younger then she is. Anyway our peditrician reffered us to see a pediatric neuroligst for both kids and she diagnosed her with Aspbergers ontop of ADHD she was then put on the Daytrana patch for ADHD and Abilify to help control her aggressive/anger issues the Abilify made her gain weight and the Daytrana patch suppreses her eating. We recently switched her off of the Abilfy to Risperdal this again is to help with her aggressive/anger issues part of her autism. The daytrana seems to work very well for her it is kind of expensive though.

I would certainly look up possible side effects of the medications and discuss any concerns with your pediatrician. We initially discussed several medications with our dr and possible side effects before making any descions on what meds to put our kids on. The meds were a last resort we tried many different thearpies at Easter Seals as well as hippo thearpy (horseback riding) with both kids actually before we made the decission that medication was necessary.

Always read the full labeling from the physician desk reference so you can truely understand the risks (many of these medication have the same active compounds as "black labeled" medications). ALso remember that these medications offer no help in addressing and developing of the underlying skills that are are needed to manage the underlying executive function differences, so very often just provide a temporary "mask".

They can be beneficial as a temporary bridge while getting the proper educational supports in place, but since many individuals end up being unwilling to take the medical risks or accept what the medications do to them personality wise once they have self determination, they do more harm than good in the long term if they are viewed "as the solution" by parnets and educators.

bookwormde

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter