• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

What's your best tip?

Malibustyle23

DIS Veteran
We leave for our first cruise next month. We will be on the Magic leaving from Miami to the Bahamas for a 5 night. It will be me, DH, DS14 and DD9. We are arriving two nights early and are staying near in Hollywood, FL and plan on relying on SAS or Uber. Although this has been planned for over a year it is almost time and it seems like a long time away still and yet feels like tomorrow too.

I've tried to read what I can where I can but still not sure I really know what to expect.

Can you let me know your best tip for a DCL cruise (besides the usual don't overplan/think just sit back and enjoy it)? THANKS!

We leave for our first cruise next month. We will be on the Magic leaving from Miami to the Bahamas for a 5 night. It will be me, DH, DS14 and DD9. We are arriving two nights early and are staying near in Hollywood, FL and plan on relying on SAS or Uber. Although this has been planned for over a year it is almost time and it seems like a long time away still and yet feels like tomorrow too.

I've tried to read what I can where I can but still not sure I really know what to expect.

Can you let me know your best tip for a DCL cruise (besides the usual don't overplan/think just sit back and enjoy it)? THANKS!
Well, my number 1 tip has always been, don't try to do everything - you can't.

So, beyond that - allow for the "we didn't plan......." situations, go with the flow.

Be aware, you don't need to buy every little thing you see.

My best tip for your family is to ensure your kids go to their clubs on the first night for the icebreaker activities. Sometimes they are late, like at 10:00 or 10:30 but that is when everyone meets the other kids, friendships form, and the CMs sort of plan some activities for the remainder of the cruise. I am not saying your kids won’t have a good time the rest of the cruise if they don’t attend, I just think they have a better chance of meeting some friends if they do.

Have fun!

My goal is for our family to make memories, including the ones that my kids will laugh about over Thanksgiving dinner 20 years from now! With that in mind:
-dress up for pirate's night, even if it's just a hat
-dress for dinner every night; everyone has a good time when they are the best version of themselves

The mom in me recommends:
-use packing cubes to keep everything organized

Happy Sailing!!

Look at the Navigator and find the things that interest you the most. Like Schmoo said, don't try to do everything but do explore and find what fits you.
If dressing up is fun for you and your family, go for it. If not, don't worry about it. Dressing casual is fine too. I am much more comfortable, and therefore enjoy things more, when I'm dressed casually in what I like.
Have a great cruise!

Take some time to explore the ship so you know where everything is and where you’re going. Don’t be afraid to relax for a bit in the Cove Cafe or on deck... no need to plan every moment. My husband and I like to enjoy time on the heated loungers in the Rainforest Room while DD15 is at the club.

Spend one afternoon taking a nap or resting on the wonderful lounge chairs on the Promenade deck. It’s so nice to lay there and feel the ocean breeze while listening to the water crash against the hull of the ship. Sometimes you can even feel a few sprinkles of the cool ocean water splashing across your face or body.

This is a more practical suggestion, but pack a night light. You can even get Disney themed projected picture ones for pretty low cost at your local stores. It makes those 3am bathroom trips or coming into the room after everyone else went to sleep and you stayed up to see Match your Mate (ok tip 2, go see this the first night it's offered -if it is- on your cruise for adults only in the adults only areas. It's usually late, say 11ish, but oh so funny) so much easier. No hitting into unfamiliar furniture or stray shoes.

Look at the Navigator and find the things that interest you the most. Like Schmoo said, don't try to do everything but do explore and find what fits you.

The app is so helpful with this. In addition to telling you what's happening, it will tell you when it's happening again. That way you can prioritize if there are things you really want to do happening at the same time.

Get at least a couple character photos. You don't have to stalk them but they are fun memories.

Last edited:

1. Pack swimsuits in your carryon and do the pools/Aqua Dunk immediately upon arrival, before the pools get crowded and the Aqua Dunk gets a long line.

2. Rent bikes and ride around the island on Castaway Cay.

3. The staterooms have a night light built in the dresser under the mirror.

4. Bring a lot of dollar bills for various tips.

Last edited:
Don't overdo the packing!!!! Pack less then you think you need, then take most of that out of your suitcase. After 11 cruises I STILL don't follow my own advice as much as I should. LOL. For clothing during the day, I find I'm most often in swimwear and a cover up (and I'm not a big pool person, but this is still true) or a pair of capris or shorts and a basic tee or blouse. You can easily re-wear bottoms since you only wear them for a few hours at a time and will not likely perspire on board - the AC is really cold, IMO. Because of that, I strongly recommend you bring a cardi or zip up sweatshirt for everyone in your family or you may find yourself buying expensive ones in the gift shop. We do like to dress up for dinner because we rarely have the chance at home and enjoy it, and even that can be easily done with wrinkle free skirts, tops, and simple dresses and lightweight sandals or shoes. Again, the skirts and dresses can be re-worn if needed. Even though the staterooms are adequately sized, the more you bring the harder it is to find space for it and the more you are lugging around at some point during your trip. Have a great trip!

As a first-time Disney cruiser, try to get some lanyards that can hold your ID and KTTW card. You'll see everyone wearing them but repeat cruisers get them for free. I felt left out on my first cruise and realized just how convenient they are. The gift shop does sell a similar one, but you'll be paying Disney prices for them.

I recommend touring the spa on the first day and deciding if the rainforest room will be something you'd like to do for at least one day. It books up fast so do keep that in mind. I like to purchase a pass for the duration of the cruise so I can come and go as I please.

Take advantage of the free room service

Don't forget that the menu in the MDR is only a suggestion so you can order x amount of food (I normally get 2 appetizers and skip the dessert) or even request something you had the previous night. Can't decide between two entrees? Then kindly ask for both.

You'll see Mickey in the terminal with a huge line for photos. No need to get that photo because you'll have plenty of opportunities throughout your cruise.

Avoid those tacky cruise ship/port shopping lectures. Yeah you can win some prizes but it eats up a lot of time.

Last edited:
I also forgot to mention the Cove Café. It was just remolded after the '18 dry dock. It feels like an upscale Starbucks in the adults-only section but it will be a nice place to relax with your DH while your kids are at the clubs. The café charges for coffee and other drinks but those appealing treats and snacks are actually FREE (another first-cruiser mistake I made) and changed at different times of the day. They also bring out a selection of prosciutto, dried sausages, marinated olives, cheeses and bread in the evenings.

Last edited:
I didn't realize this - YUM! And that is free as well? Can you ask for it even if you do not order a coffee or specialty drink?
It is free (similar to the complimentary hors d'oeuvre served in The District) and it usually comes out around 6PM. I don't think they'll mind if you don't order any drinks as a lot of people take a plate out to the quiet cove pool. Here's a thread with some more details.

https://www.disboards.com/threads/snacks-at-cove-cafe.3434835/

Make sure to wear sunscreen. We live in Florida and know how strong the sun is but we see lots of people on the cruises we go in that get burned up the first day and then are sunburned the whole cruise.

What other PP have said about not over-planning and using the navigator (paper or DCL app) to see what interests you. The app is great for seeing when activities/events repeat so I can avoid mental conflicts of thinking I still can do it all :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter