• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

What's your best crockpot recipe?

I have been using my crockpot more now that I've tried the Reynolds crockpot liners. It makes clean up super easy.

Here are a couple quick and easy crockpot recipes:

Ham & green beans
1 boneless ham
4 cans of green beans with liquid from 3 of the cans
Cook on low for 8 hours. The ham flavors the beans and the ham falls apart.

Bean soup
Ham bone (I use mine from leftover spiral ham)
3 cups of water
16 oz dry great northern beans
2 cups of diced ham (or to your taste)
1.5 cups of diced carrots
1.5 cups of diced celery
1 cup of diced onions
2 bay leaves
2 tablespoons of black pepper
water

Soak beans overnight in water. Drain. Add ham bone to crockpot. Add in all other ingredients EXCEPT water and bay leaves. Mix as well as you can with the ham bone in the pot. Add enough water to cover everything + 1/2 inch. toss bay leaves on top. Cook on low for 8-10 hours or high for 5 hours. Discard bay leaves and ham bone. Use a potato masher or large fork to mash some of the soup. The starch from the beans will help thicken the soup. Stir and serve. This soup is excellent in Panera Bread bread bowls.

Started pulled pork on Wednesday night and it finished yesterday afternoon. Yummy. Pork shoulders were on sale for .97 cents a lbs. :cool1: Made enough for last night, tonight, and able to freeze 2 more meals

Tomorrow I'm making a new to me recipe from another thread. chicken and dumplings. Sunday making Broc and Cheese soup.

I always make double or triple batches so I can freeze for future meals.

My Family's favorite:

chuck roast (really any roast will work)
1 pck Ranch Dressing mix
1 pck Italian Dressing mix
1 pck Brown Gravy mix
1/2 cup water

Mix the envelopes with the water and pour over the roast. My crock cooks a little hot so I go about 6 hours on low. Remove the roast and pour the gravy into a pan so that I can thicken it just a bit with cornstarch and water. Serve with mashed potatoes. Oh My! so yummy

My favorite crockpot recipe is the easiest one ever.

Take a package (about a pound) of skinless, boneless, chicken breasts or thighs & dump them in the crock pot.

Add a package of low sodium taco seasoning (or 2-4 tablespoons if you make your own or buy in bulk) and a jar of your favorite salsa.

Cook on low for 8 hours.

The chicken is fall-apart tender. Can be used in burritos, tacos, over rice, in quesadillas, etc.

Some people add a can of black beans and/or corn to stretch the chicken a little bit. And others add a big dollop of sour cream or some low fat cream cheese when the cooking is done. I've added sour cream, but not veggies. Sometimes, if I want more juice or tomato flavor, I'll add a can of petite diced tomatoes.

Generally, I serve it over rice with a dollop of sour cream and a sprinkle of grated cheese.

:thumbsup2 I add the sour cream and make burritos (sometimes adding spanish rice or beans). Good stuff!

Here is a very easy stroganoff reciepe.

http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Slow-Cooker-Beef-Stroganoff-I/Detail.aspx?prop24=etaf

Oh wanted to add that I get my stew meat from Sam's club. Its cheaper than the grocery store and the meat is tender. I buy the big package then break down the package into smaller packages so I have the meat on hand when I want to whip this reciepe up.

I can vouch for this one, too! :thumbsup2

Here's my contribution, a jambalaya recipe passed to me from my niece. Something a little different, I use regular diced canned tomatoes and throw in frozen cooked shrimp at the end just long enough to heat through.

http://www.bettycrocker.com/recipes/slow-cooker-jambalaya/5c6a6cb5-570c-422a-8706-8bbf7a2c2e80

denisem said:
:thumbsup2 I add the sour cream and make burritos (sometimes adding spanish rice or beans). Good stuff!

I can vouch for this one, too! :thumbsup2

Here's my contribution, a jambalaya recipe passed to me from my niece. Something a little different, I use regular diced canned tomatoes and throw in frozen cooked shrimp at the end just long enough to heat through.

http://www.bettycrocker.com/recipes/slow-cooker-jambalaya/5c6a6cb5-570c-422a-8706-8bbf7a2c2e80

I am going to make this on Monday! I can use GF taco mix. I have corn tortillas to put it in too. Great GF meal thanks :)

I love my Crockpot and use it a lot (winter & summer). I just made Cranberry Orange Pork loin this past weekend - it was fantastic. Got this recipe from the America Test Kitchen slow cooker cookbook. Its a little more prep than some recipes, but really worth it.

1 4 1/2-5 lb pork loin (short and thick, not long & thin)
1 can whole cranberry cranberry sauce
1/2 cup dried cranberries
1/2 cup orange juice
1/8 teaspoon cinnamon

In crockpock, mix cranberry sauce, cranberries, OJ and cinnamon.

Brown all sides of pork loin in a skillet and place in crockpot on top of mixture. Cook on low 4-5 hours. When done, remove pork and pour sauce into a sauce pan. Simmer sauce about 15-20 minute until thickened to about 2 cups.

Slice pork, pour 1/2 of sauce over it and serve. Place the remaining sauce in a bowl/gravy boat to serve on the side.

This weekend we're trying a sausage & navy bean chili in the crockpot. Can't wait!

TLuvsD said:
Beef roast (whatever is on sale), can of Cream of Mushroom soup with half a packet of Liptons Onion Soup added. (For my family I double the soup and use a whole packet--we like a lot of gravy). Just dump it all in, cook all day. Mashed potatos are a great side dish.

I make the same thing but also add a can of beef broth. Probably makes a little thinner gravy

My dd (9) has Celiac. I'd love to know too. I've been able to find gluten free cream of chicken soup and GF chicken broth. I also make my own GF version of onion soup mix. I'm always looking for good GF recipes!

google "365 days crockpot" and stephanie o'deas blog will come up. She has lots of gluten free options in her recipes.

FYI, there's a cooking forum on the DIS (that doesn't get much action these days) and Piratesmate was kind enough to do an index on tons of crockpot recipes with a link to the recipe at the top of the thread. I've gotten some winners from this list over the years!

http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=1915122
I have been a member here for 7 yrs and never knew that forum existed:scratchin

This was posted several years ago by someone else on this board, it's one of my families favorites:

Here's a recipe that was rated one of the best of the year in our paper's food section. It's a little rich and certainly not healthy, but delicious. DH likes me to double all ingredients except the chicken so there's more sauce.

Creamy Italian Chicken

2 lbs. boneless, skinless chicken breasts
1/4 cup butter or margarine, melted
4 oz. of and 8 oz. tub of cream cheese and chives
1 (10 3/4 oz.) can golden cream of mushroom soup
1 (0.7 oz.) pkg. Italian dressing mix (this is the dry mix)
1/2 cup water or white wine
Angel hair pasta

Cut chicken breasts into strips and put chicken strips into slow cooker.
In a separate bowl, mix melted butter or margarine, cream cheese soup and Italian dressing mix together.
Pour mixture over chicken strips and add in white wine or water.
Cook on LOW for 6-8 hours.
Serve over cooked angel hair pasta.

Some notes: I season my chicken a little with garlic powder, salt and pepper. I've also put the chicken in frozen and it comes out fine. This recipe will taste good with water in place of the wine, but it's so much better with the wine.
I also cut my chicken into small chunks instead of strips. Sometimes I just do this with a spoon once the chicken has cooked.
We always serve this with garlic bread.

I have so enjoyed trying all of the ideas I've gotten off of pinterest. My favorite part is the recipes - esp. crockpot recipes. There is nothing nicer than coming home and having dinner basically ready.

This morning, I'm trying a new recipe. Crockpot Corn Chowder We'll see how it turns out later. Next one on my list to try is Chicken Taco Chili (which my husband has decided will be gross but we'll see!)

What's your favorite crockpot recipe?

I made the crockpot corn chowder last weeked (leftover ham from Christmas) and it was really good. I used fat free half and half to cut down on the calories and I don't think anyone could tell.

Easy Baked Potato Soup

-1 pkg frozen hashbrowns
-2 cans chicken broth (I've also thrown in a few bouillon cubes with water)
-1 can cream of chicken soup
-diced onion to taste (I use dried flakes)
-1 block of cream cheese (low fat is OK but not FF)

Put everything except the cream cheese in the crockpot. Cook on low all day. 1 hour before serving cut up the cream cheese & stir it in. Whisk the soup to blend in the cream cheese before serving. Top with shredded cheese, bacon, green onions, broccoli, etc. Basically whatever you would put on top of a baked potato.
This is SO good. Thick & creamy. We NEVER have leftovers & the kids would lick the crock if I let them!

Into a 3 qt. slow cooker, put a pound or so of beef cubes, a sliced onion, 1/2 packet of Italian salad dressing mix, an undrained can of petite diced tomatoes, a can of drained and rinsed white beans, and a box of frozen chopped kale (thawed and squeezed dry-you don't want to water this down). Cook on High for about 3 hours, and then for an additional half-hour or so with the lid slightly tilted to allow steam to escape and sauce to thicken. Before serving, stir in a handful of dried cranberries and chopped unsalted cashews and let stand for a bit for the cranberries to plump up and get hot. Sounds weird, but it works. I like it a lot better than the creamy or juicy recipes you see so often.

Turkey breast!

With or without the bone, hole or half, whatever fits in the crockpot. Make sure to defrost it if frozen.

Season the meat with garlic oil and sear the meet a little on a frying pan. Cut 2 large onions in half, place on the bottom of of the crockpot and place the breast on top of it - keeps it elevated from those drippings. Season with steak seasoning, add Bay Leaves, etc. finish it with Garlic / Rosemary flavor. Whatever you like. Add, 1/2 cup of chicken broth, cook on slow 6 to 8 hours depending on the size and keep it covered - do not lift the cover until done.

Slice and serve with a gravy of your choice, comes out tender and juicer then any oven baked turkey you ever had.

mjantz said:
Easy Baked Potato Soup

-1 pkg frozen hashbrowns
-2 cans chicken broth (I've also thrown in a few bouillon cubes with water)
-1 can cream of chicken soup
-diced onion to taste (I use dried flakes)
-1 block of cream cheese (low fat is OK but not FF)

Put everything except the cream cheese in the crockpot. Cook on low all day. 1 hour before serving cut up the cream cheese & stir it in. Whisk the soup to blend in the cream cheese before serving. Top with shredded cheese, bacon, green onions, broccoli, etc. Basically whatever you would put on top of a baked potato.
This is SO good. Thick & creamy. We NEVER have leftovers & the kids would lick the crock if I let them!

Thank you for this, I made it this week and it was delicious!

Hawaiian Chicken sounds yummy!

Since it is Saturday and I really don't feel like thinking about dinner, I just started Buffalo Chicken in the crockpot.

Boneless Chicken Breasts
Envelope of Hidden Valley Ranch Seasoning
12 oz Franks Hot Sauce
1 tbsp butter

Will have it as wraps later today. Easy and tasty.:cool1:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter