• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

What's wrong with me?? (being jaded)

Hunterr

DIS Veteran
I've kind of felt like this for years now, but I've finally admitted to myself that I have become completely jaded to the theme parks (disney and universal).

I'm 30, by the way, with no kids or anything too distracting (other than being a grown man).

I wasn't always like this. My summer vacations in my tweens were always spent in Florida for about 3 weeks each time from Europe (army brat, here). A family member has been a cast member her whole career, so FREE ENTRY! (plus Universal).
I was OBSESSED with the parks. I hoarded every guide map, fast pass stub, unused napkins with logos, and other misc merch and items. I also was fanatic about documenting attractions (whether by video camera or audio via my ol' Mini Disc recorder).

When I actually moved to Orlando 10 years ago, the novelty of the parks was of course going wear off a bit with being able to go anytime I wanted, as opposed to making sure every bit of my trip was planned for a 3 week summer vacation.

Of course as I get older, that was to be expected. The internet also eliminated any need I had to document that stuff as others did it WAY better than I could have (and now we have pocket sized cameras to do this stuff, too. Oh, the material I could have captured if we had our technology back then! I was running around with a hi-8 camcorder and recording attraction audio on the mini-disc during one trip. #nerd ).

The guy who could go on the same ride 10 times and stay from morning til close can't even be enthusiastic about going on a ride once. I mean, when I'm on the damn thing, it's fun, but just the whole process of waiting in line...then the pre show...then another queue...then finally the ride! ugh.
It's no wonder I my favorite park turned into Epcot.
(i'm referring to things I've been on before, btw. I felt like a kid again the first time I rode Harry Potter Forbidden Journey last year and was just in awe of how awesome it was. Plus, it was NEWWWW!)

I recently moved to AL for work temporarily, so now going back to FL and the parks isn't something I do as often, but since I still have the family who is a cast member and my Universal annual pass, I end up doing a park anyway when I visit for a few hours.

Anyhoo, the weird thing is though that I'm still VERY interested in news/discussion/etc. about the actual parks, rather than actually go there (hence why I love watching/listening to the Dis Unplugged/Uni Edition/The Trip).

/rant

tumblr_mcjirkdivk1qdl5f4o1_250.gif

I'm burned out on all the theme parks now too. I'm really not up for even spending one day at a theme park (What used to sound wonderful and what I used to spend so much time planning for has no appeal whatsoever to me at the moment). I think for me it's that I've just gone too many times, and reached my burn out point -- been there, done that, bought the T-shirt, and would prefer something different. I've been down to Orlando about 38 different times in a 43 year period, and I think that's just more than enough in one lifetime. // I'm not saying I'll never go again (if I do it will be to see people I love not for the place/activities) and if I'm the planner and can steer / influence the trip to be elsewhere, it's not going to be in Orlando or any theme park destination.

Until very recently I couldn't think of a more fun thing to do with DS than a mini trip to Orlando and have done quite a few of mini trips with him when he was in junior high and high school. Now (and DS is in college now), instead of Orlando I'm into little city visits with him (and DH will come along on these too) -- extensions staying in Manhattan when we visit relatives out east for example. We're planning on visiting my mom and dad for a few days over spring break and will do an overnight in Chicago, staying at a historic hotel too. // And for bigger vacations for budget / time / appeal to entire family I'm looking at summer trips to more natural type places. Rocky Mountain National Parks / Estes Park is our plan this summer in August. For future on our with list is checking out South Dakota -- two nights in Wall (Badlands) / four nights in Keystone (Mount Rushmore and other things in the area) and another item on the wish list checking out Bar Harbor, ME by Acadia National Park. DS 19 is a photographer too and quite keen on cities and beautiful natural places. And nature light type places and mountains have always appealed to DH.

Just saying I think I know where you are coming from and am experiencing the same thing right now. And I get coming to the boards too and an overall interest in Disney stuff even if you don't want to visit -- as if like me you are so used to having an Orlando trip in the works it's habit and if you are like me with all the visits you've done it's something you have quite a bit of expertise on, so may enjoy giving others tips/advice and just have a general interest in keeping up to date on what's going on.

Last edited:
Whats wrong with you? People. Too many people at the parks. People in charge of the parks making poor development decisions.

I am taking my bf and a friend in October, both of which have never been to Disney World. After that, I foresee 1 trip for my grandaughter when she is older in a few years. But other than that, nope. Don't care to spend thousands of dollars anymore to plan meals 6 months in advance, rides 2 months in advance, deal with boat loads of people because there are no more down times, or pay for overpriced food and merchandise. I could do 3 "normal" vacations for what 1 Disney vacation costs me and while there is "magic" in Disney that other vacations don't have, it no longer justifies the extra money for me.

And while I love the Disney Princesses, the over saturation of 'we have to have a Princess for everything' has become too much. There are so many now its made them all lose their "special appeal". Disney pumping out movies every summer has made their movies lose their appeal as well, imo. Its like when the 1997 Holiday Barbie rush happened due to its low production numbers. People had to get certificates in hopes of even getting one. It was crazy. What did Mattel do? They pumped out millions of "limited edition" Barbies which ended up making them all lose their appeal and value.

Disney no longer has value because they are riding the train of capitalizing on the Disney Craze. Can't say I blame them as they are a business but I imagine it will start to bite them in a few years. Disney is putting their resources into movies and merchandise because its easy money. Their theme parks are suffering for it.

Nothing is wrong with you :goodvibes
I think you have spelled it out in your own post, you have been there done that a lot. The fact that you enjoyed FJ so much shows maybe its time to try something/somewhere new.
Maybe with a bit of a break or a change (like coming back when/if you have kids) will renew your passion for it.
But it's not something you should be feeling bad about-it's ok to not enjoy something that you used to enjoy (and hell who really enjoys waiting in line right)

We used to have annual passes to the major theme parks in the UK (owned by Merlin group so Legoland, Alton Towers, Madame Tussauds etc) but after nearly 10 years of having APs and visiting each park at least once a year we just realsied we were doing the same things over and over again, the novelty had gone.

It will be 6 years between our Disney trip, but I am looking forward to Diagon Alley far more than anything at WDW as there just isn't enough new at Disney.

Yep, it sounds like you need a break. I think most people would, after as many WDW trips as you've had.

As a fellow Harry Potter fan, have you ever been to the Warner Bros Harry Potter studios tour in London? Not a theme park, so no rides, but it is amazing to see the actual sets, props and costumes used in the movies. I went last week. My daughter and I loved it.

I'm in the same boat as you--32, no kids yet. It's a combination of growing up and park decline. I can't wait to go when I have kids to show the park for the first time, but for myself, I've seen and done it all enough times now. And then on top of that, there's WDW's decline in attractions that appeal to adults and no new ambitious E-Ticket since Expedition Everest, and there's not as much to get excited about. And as an adult, you think more about the price, which just keeps going up. The more Disney turns WDW into the Happiest Mall on Earth, the more they turn off repeat guests.

Their theme parks are suffering for it.

The skrim in the parks says otherwise!

In the last several years, we've gotten New Fantasyland, a better Star Tours, new parades and shows, a massively redone Hub, and the addition of interactive gimmicks in ride queues. AK, Epcot, and HS are currently undergoing massive development projects.

The notion that Disney is somehow ignoring the theme parks in favor of movies and merchandise is inaccurate, IMO.

The skrim in the parks says otherwise!

In the last several years, we've gotten New Fantasyland, a better Star Tours, new parades and shows, a massively redone Hub, and the addition of interactive gimmicks in ride queues. AK, Epcot, and HS are currently undergoing massive development projects.

The notion that Disney is somehow ignoring the theme parks in favor of movies and merchandise is inaccurate, IMO.

We're also getting a new DTD.

But that said, that list is pretty skimpy on net new attractions. Much of that has been about crowd control and maintenance.

There's a whole world out there. If Disney no longer thrills you, make reservations for the Grand Canyon! Go to Alaska! See the Ceremony of the Keys at the Tower of London! Visit Norway or Iceland. See Buenos Aires or Rio or Capetown.

You're 30 years old, without kids. There are so many things you could do. If Disney is the one that fills you with joy, great, go to Disney. But if it's not, then find something that does.

I think doing anything too much leads to burn out. I don't think the parks have declined, I thjnn familiarity can breed contempt and people who visit so frequently become a lot more critical. For the casual visitor, it's easy to glance past issues because there's something better to pay attention to, but once those things stop being interesting to you, you can focus on all those little problems.

We only go, roughly, every 4 years or so. We're scheduled for 2016 but we may even postpone that.

We only take our family every other year. It seems to help with the enthusiasm. We've been alot and have done most things but taking a year break between usually is enough for something new to be built or something to be refurbished, etc. There is always something new to see and do when we go.

I just feel like we're paying more and experiencing less at WDW. I wish it were different, but our last couple of trips with FP+ have been disappointing. We had fun, but we could've enjoyed our vacation more and spent less somewhere else. I'm sad though, it's hard to say goodbye to WDW. I enjoyed my WDW daydreams where I pictured myself in the parks.

We are newer locals, but we go to the parks 3-4 times a week. FP+ had helped a lot! We have at least three guaranteed walk ons every time, sometimes more. It enough to tip the advantage to Disney Parks even tho we also have SW and BG passes.

Maybe I will tire of it. But I doubt it..I watch the fireworks nightly from home if I'm not there, and even my honey says "what rides did you book us?" And off we go, 3+ times a week. We don't want to sit at home and watch TV so we head out and go. It also helps that we are 20 min away. Not having to deal with traffic helps a lot!

I think I enjoy the planning more than the visit. Getting older and can't do the walking I used to. Prices keep climbing and service keeps slipping. Less people doing more work equals less inspired employees. Been there and know the feeling so I understand. We're planning a big family trip with kids and grandkids for 2016 and that may be the last hurrah. The crowds keep growing. Tough to get ADRs. Can be tough to get a room you want. Rooms were getting dated but fortunately have recently been getting redone, thank goodness.
But there have been some good times. Seeing grandkids faces on their first visit. The upgrade to the Presidential Suite at the Boardwalk during the year of a million dreams. Four days in the main building at GF. Some great thrills and fireworks shows. But I guess it's wearing thin. 18 times in 30 years has given me my fill.
I wouldn't tell anyone not to make at least one visit. But my visits are numbered.

don't sweat it. Maybe you get back into it some day, maybe not. Tastes change, move on, experience new things. Big world out there.

I don't think there's anything necessarily 'wrong' with you, you've just gotten burned out with WDW. You seem like you're still interested in Disney itself, so why not visit the other Disney theme parks (DLR, Disneyland Paris, Tokyo Disney)? Time to get a passport! Or if that doesn't thrill you, maybe just a trip to Aulani might be in order? Hawaii is gorgeous, and you'd still get the Disney feeling while you're there.

If that still doesn't interest you, have you considered signing up for a runDisney race? (Here's my shameless plug for runDisney, lol). Even just a 5K would be fun. Or volunteering at the events, you'll get to see lots of backstage stuff for free, while also helping out others. I've heard lots of great things about the volunteers at rD events.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter