What's Wrong with Backlot Tour?

hershey4

Earning My Ears
After reading the thread about what would you repair, etc., I'm curious. Many have said that the Backlot Tour is a "shell of it's former self". What does that mean? I've only been on the Backlot Tour twice, and the last time was more than 10 years ago. What did it used to be and what is it now?

I believe the Backlot Tour is an area that is on its way out with a set of speculation of what will be built in the area.

After reading the thread about what would you repair, etc., I'm curious. Many have said that the Backlot Tour is a "shell of it's former self". What does that mean? I've only been on the Backlot Tour twice, and the last time was more than 10 years ago. What did it used to be and what is it now?

The streets with the home facades (example - Golden Girls) are gone, the Stunt Show theater was built there.

Back when DHS used to be MGM, the idea was that part of it really was a movie studio. The Backlot Tour went through the actual back lot of the working studio. The warehouse areas were once real working areas as well. It's just kind of sad now.

There used to be houses (Empty nest, Golden Girls) but they got torn down. I'm sure there was other stuff but that's what I miss the most.

One of the original ideas behind DHS was to have production of TV shows and movies @ DHS, but that went away with DI$ restructuring, etc. in the late-90s, early-00s. A fair portion of the backlot tour was removed for LMA, and the sound stages that lined what is now Pixar Place (and beyond) were closed and repurposed for other uses. There is still much speculation about the 'Hot Set' portion of Pixar Place b/w TSM and the Backlot Tour becoming another attraction in the near future. A good history is available on Wikipedia:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Studio_Backlot_Tour

Note that Wiki claims that portions of it were shutdown due to its popularity, which is somewhat true, but mainly because there just wasn't much @ DHS to see and do until ToT, RNRC, TSM and LMA were built. The park was, in a word, lame itself. Word is that Eisner rushed DHS to completion to beat Universal to the punch since they were planning a studio-themed park. Keep in mind that not even The Hat existed for the first 10 years DHS existed. Read the DHS wiki for more on its history. It's fascinating.

-Kevin

The streets with the home facades (example - Golden Girls) are gone, the Stunt Show theater was built there.

I KNEW IT! When we were there in Jan we went on it and my DH and I got into a discussion of whether that stuff was missing or if we had seen it elsewhere (Universal).

It definitely didn't seem the same as it had back in 2002.

There used to be houses (Empty nest, Golden Girls) but they got torn down. I'm sure there was other stuff but that's what I miss the most.

Same here - that was my favorite part of the backlot tour. And it was really nice how they decorated them with lights for the Osborne Spectacle of Lights. I miss the old Backlot...

I can't think of anything else missing... everything just seems to be in a different order, now.

Plenty is missing. As already mentioned, the residential street is long gone. Active costuming/prop making used to take place in the tunnel area, even had the set for a 747 in there at one time, now they just use it for in park stuff. Used to have significantly more props in the bone yard. Also used to be tied in with a walking tour. Got to see/re-enact the bee scene from Honey I Shrunk the Kids, walk through catwalks through the sound stages and see whatever was being filmed, or see props and a shot movie by Bette Midler. The two combined easily took several hours to do.

It's been so long that my memory of it is a little faded, but in the beginning you would start at the water scene tank for basically the same show that is there now and then proceed to the either the sound stages (I should say, the viewing point above the sound stages). Sometimes something was happening there, most of the time it was just a bunch of sets waiting to be used. I remember seeing the set of the New Mickey Mouse Club, and some specials. The last thing I remember seeing was an elaborate set that was being used to film Tom Hanks...Journey to the Moon! Then through some smaller areas where you would see and could be part of the blue screen process (previously mention Bee scene) then to areas that had actual movie sets displayed. There was the Bette Midler set for a while and I also remember seeing 101 Dalmatians sets and Haunted Mansion Movie Sets. Then off to the props warehouse (still there) but isn't always used as a queue so you don't always see many items, then board the tram and be shown around to some of the places that were used for specific movie and TV shows. (seems like I remember particular emphasis on the Hulk Hogan TV show that was filmed there). Then through the bone yard to the residential street, which was interesting, if not completely bogus and off to Catastrophe Canyon. After that it was back by Walt's old plane and then to the end of the tram ride which emptied into even more costumes and photo opportunities with cut-out types of sets. (The one I remember the most was from Home Improvement at the fence with Wilson peaking over the top. After that the ever present Gift Shop and your done. That all took at least an hour, maybe 90 minutes but it went by really fast.

I am working from memory here so don't be too harsh on me if I forgot something or got the sequence out of wack. I try my best but have never been appreciated. :rotfl:

We must be about the same vintage, Goofyernmost. I've tried to describe the Backlot tour's original incarnation to a few 'young whippersnappers' and have had them look at me as if I'd grown 2 more heads. More than one of them also had the nerve to suggest that I had confused MGM with Universal.:confused3

But it's true. Back in the oooold days, it was a real working studio. I used to really enjoy the walking portion of the tour.

DH & I first did the Backlot Tour in April 1991 - on our high school Senior Trip. (Of course, DH & I weren't married then... and Wow! It really doesn't seem like 1991 should be 21 years ago!)

And I remember thinking it was sooo cool! I loved the part where you went through the tunnel & saw castmembers actually working on costumes & animators drawing scenes for upcoming movies.

I have pictures of my friend & me posing w/ Madonna's dress from "Dick Tracy".

And the part where you rode down the street where the house from "The Golden Girls" was was really neat too.

Fast forward to 2005, when DH & I went back for the 1st time since 1991 w/ our kids.

We rode "The Backlot Tour", & we were like, "Wait a minute. What happened?"

It's just so totally not the same at all!

And I remember thinking it was sooo cool! I loved the part where you went through the tunnel & saw castmembers actually working on costumes & animators drawing scenes for upcoming movies.

As a teen I was fascinated by the animators in the tunnel. I just stood there and watched them draw. They were so good. I was jealous! :laughing:

As a teen I was fascinated by the animators in the tunnel. I just stood there and watched them draw. They were so good. I was jealous! :laughing:

I remember walking through the animation tour watching the then future project of Beauty and the Beast (although we weren't told the working title then) was being animated. I remember the guide saying that they were modeling Belle (again-not told the actual character's name then) after Julia Roberts!

DHS is a sad sad version of the former MGM. I would like to see it restored to the original intention of the Working Studio.

That you are confusing with the Animation Tour...a completely different thing then the backlot tour. But it was happening, just a different place.

The Disney MGM and DHS are not really the defining factors. Those tours stopped long before MGM was out of the picture. It just stopped being a working studio and when that happened there was nothing there to see. There wasn't much when it was still considered active which explains why it is no more.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter