• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

What's with all the "Welcome Homes?"

Sammy

DIS Veteran
I haven't been on the DVC boards for a while, so I'm not sure if this has already been discussed, but.....

We are DVC members (OKW), and absolutely LOVE staying there. My very favorite thing in the "World" is getting that "Welcome Home" at the gate and at check-in...it literally can bring a tear to my eye! It's just one of those special touches that we love about our DVC.

We just returned from WDW this morning, and while there, we took Disney busses to several different resorts for meals or touring. As we approached each different resort, the pre-recorded bus spiel would say something like, "You are now arriving at Disney's Grand Floridian Resort...blah blah blah. And then the kicker: the very last thing said on the bus recording was "...and Welcome Home!" The first time we heard it, DH and I just looked at each and wondered if we had heard right. But we then heard it over and over again all week....for AKL, for ASMusic and Sports, for the Poly, etc...

What's up with that???!!!

It seems to have evolved ino a pretty generic thing, not only at WDW but other destinations as well.

From Boardwalk, the bus always stops at Swan/Dolphin. And everytime it says "Welcome Home" when we stop there. Its not even a DVC property!

If it makes you all feel any better we didn't get a single Welcome Home at the VWL portion of our trip last week, but did get it once we moved to SSR. For my wife VWL just lost a few points in her book.:scared1:

We were actually at SSR's a month ago and DMIL and DFIL were with us. Every time we went through the gates, the guard said, "Welcome home!" I think they thought it was a little overkill, but it still gives me a warm and fuzzy every time I hear it. :goodvibes

I am a little disappointed that they are now using it so loosely. I remember when we went down and stayed at OKW for the first time. We weren't members, but knew we would be some day. When they welcomed us home, I felt special. Maybe they're trying to create that experience for all resort members, but couldn't they welcome families to Disney and wish them a magical stay intead? :confused3

For the record...I think DH and the kids could care less. :lmao:

IMO the greeting should be reserved for the DVC resorts. Who has their home resort at The Swan, Dolphin or All Star Resorts??? It is a special perk I think. Pass that on to the Board of Directors.

Had the gate guard say that at the Grand Floridian the other day. I don't really care who says it or where.

This is not intended in any way to be personal in any way, and I hope that nobody is offended, but these threads always amuse me. It really is amazing to me that anyone should feel put out in the slightest because their exclusive “Welcome Home” warm fuzzy is being shared more generally. I guess things must be pretty great for people if this is what they worry about.

I love the "Welcome Home" so much that I want everyone to say it to me. I stroll past the DVC kiosks just so when they ask if I'm interested I say I already own and then they say "Welcome Home". The most disappointing thing (okay so their really is anything "disappointing" per se about any disney trip) was the fact that we stayed at Coranado Springs and they didn't say welcome home.

This is not intended in any way to be personal in any way, and I hope that nobody is offended, but these threads always amuse me. It really is amazing to me that anyone should feel put out in the slightest because their exclusive “Welcome Home” warm fuzzy is being shared more generally. I guess things must be pretty great for people if this is what they worry about.

Well it sounds really dumb when they say it at a resort you can never make "your home"!

I'm with you on this one, although I'm not sure which threads are more amusing to me, the "I spent a week at Disney and got no Welcome Home..." or the "I spent a week at Disney and got a Welcome Home from every resort...". :rotfl:

It's because it used to be something special just for us. Now everyone gets it. Sorta like your honey used to kiss just you but now he'll go and kiss everyone.

Yeah, some things you don't like being shared with everyone:thumbsup2

DW and I went in '04 just prior to DD being born, stayed at WL (not the villas) and were given a "Welcome Home." We were tickled, were not aware that it was a "DVC thing," and felt special.

We feel like WDW is our second home, and now that we have a deed that says we own .0000291537456% of Unit 21 at Jambo House, we feel this even moreso. I'll take a Welcome Home at Disney World any time I can get it...because in my heart I am home! :thumbsup2

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter