What's up with sellers not signing in a timely fashion?

People at the bank can witness! Sounds like another creative excuse to me...

Actually it might sound strange but plenty of banks don't notorize unless you are a member and PNC wouldn't do it on real estate unless I it was their own (we had a mortgage there).

Our nearest bank that we use is about 1.5hrs away so it makes it a challenge although less of one today than back in April 2020 when we needed it.

If the sellers have a trip booked they intend to take, is it right that they can’t sign and close until they’ve taken the trip?

If the sellers have a trip booked they intend to take, is it right that they can’t sign and close until they’ve taken the trip?

Yes, any reservations that are linked to points in a contract being sold are cancelled when the sale closes.

I guess we are spoiled here in NH. Everyone at our bank knows us by name, we don't have a mortgage on our home but do have several accounts. Even during the pandemic, we'd just knock on the glass door and wave and were let in. No charge for notarization.

I had to use the closest UPS store to get stuff notarized for the contracts I bought last summer. My bank was closed unless you had an appt and it was a 2 week wait to get one. The UPS Store also had witnesses (other employees) so I didn't have to ask anyone to come with me.

Not necessarily. My Credit Union requires us to bring our own witnesses now. They use to just have someone there witness things.

I remember them providing a witness back when we declined the extension at OKW. But when I needed something done a few years ago, I had to wait and bring in my own witness.
That's true, but it can still be someone you met in the parking lot on the way in, or at Starbucks getting your coffee. Florida is in fact one of a handful of states (including Connecticut, Georgia, Louisiana, and South Carolina) that require signature witnesses. We shall see how my closing goes for my HHI contract. In Florida, the signer does in fact provide the signature witnesses (2), not the signing agent (notary), although some states do allow that (and some even allow the notary to witness as well, when witnesses are required). Also, in Florida, signature witnesses are not identified, and their signatures are NOT notarized.

Our corporate offices are in California, but we have locations in a number of states, including Florida. As a consulting firm providing expert witness services, we've had to deal with this situation a number of times in the past, particularly when returning signed and notarized copies of deposition transcripts (Texas is by far the easiest).

I guess we are spoiled here in NH. Everyone at our bank knows us by name, we don't have a mortgage on our home but do have several accounts. Even during the pandemic, we'd just knock on the glass door and wave and were let in. No charge for notarization.

My bank does not do notary except on their own produced documents. And all other banks in the area require a relationship if they do notary and then they don't always either. UPS store has become my go to but they've reduced their notary hours and a couple of UPS stores that used to do it stopped. So it isn't the easy head down to the bank for everyone. I have lived another place that it would have been as you experience and was quite surprised to discover it isn't that way everywhere so I understand the doubt but it's actually is a reality for some areas.

Add in witnesses and my UPS store can't do it as they typically don't have the staff. The bank, if they did it, would be hard pressed as well.

My only resale was delayed by a week due to the seller and the Closing Agent indicated that the seller was trying to coordinate two other witnesses to go with him to get the deed notarized. I thought the seller could ask any one to sign it while getting it notarized, but who knows... I haven't been on the selling end to learn of that process yet. I'm just glad it closed. It definitely is a process that tests your patience. But looking back, with the money I saved, no regrets!

You can ask anyone to witness. When we go to our credit union, they just get another employee to do it. However, I have read that not all places have the same rules and there are some where you have to bring your own witnesses and asking strangers is not allowed.

So, I do think it is dependent on location. But, it is one of the reasons I renew my notary license all the time. It makes it so easy for family and friends when they need me!

Reactions: EYL
We just had our closing documents notarized at the bank. Had to ask two people in line to witness for us. The Regions bank wouldn’t allow the clerks to do it. Good thing we had two prolls in line. haha should’ve just went to the ups store, maybe less of a hassle so I’ll use them next purchase.

Very easy answer these title companies have not updated to use electronic signature and electronic notary yet. There are tons of people still not going in to the office and they don't have access to a printer which then delays things.

Plus its all such a drawn out process that it doesn't feel like there is really any rush as the seller either since you are sitting there for a month or two before you even get documents to close and get notarized.
How can someone not have a printer? And people should not be using their workplaces’ printers for private business. So tacky and unprofessional and entitled.

As sellers, we had an issue with getting witnesses. All of our family lives across town and we didn’t want to impose on our friends and have to bring their and our kids with us. Bank and UPS store wouldn’t provide witnesses. So we hired a mobile notary and they provided the witnesses. It cost us $65 but they came to us and it was the fastest option so we went with it.

How can someone not have a printer? And people should not be using their workplaces’ printers for private business. So tacky and unprofessional and entitled.

Its 2021 a vast majority of people will print maybe 2 things for the year. Where I started my career a decade ago even said you can use the printers for limited personal items as long as they are not color and don't contain pictures.

There continues to be less and less reason every day to buy a printer. Example for Amazon returns (one of the only reasons some people would ever look to print something) they take digital codes now at Kohls to return items or you can take a digital code to a UPS store and they print the label for you.

Additionally you can print at a variety of locations such as libraries, office supply stores, and shipping stores. I find it antiquated that you find that people need to own a printer. If you need your own printer thats fine but don't like everyone needs to in a digital world.

It could be like mine and not work. I also don't print much; so I didn't bother getting it replaced. The scanner still works; so I keep it for that.

Funny reference printers. Ours are outdated and I’m too lazy to buy another or ink since we no longer print very often. We just put files on a thumb drive and go to an office supply store and do it there. 😂

I don't have an in person bank branch, I've used an online bank since 1999, living in multiple states, its never been an issue and I prefer their banking and investment sites. My husband does have accounts at one chain bank but the local offices are still closed and would not allow a notary appointment (even in April 2021). Walking in to your local bank branch is not really a thing for many people these days (nor is owning a printer).

Hawaii requires notary, and apparently they have become fairly specific about the details. For instance they want the county of the notary to match the county the document is being executed in (i.e. our buyer county of residence). The first UPS store manager we went to is a licensed notary in a different county and said they have had trouble with documents in HI not being accepted if the locations don't match (this was detailed in the requirements doc from our title company). We had to go to a second store the next day.

The process took us a couple days, but I can see how if someone had less work flexibility and fewer options in their city they could run around longer to get it done. Or worse, have the notarization rejected by the title company or state because it wasn't quite right and then repeat the process.

Actually a majority of states allow electronic notorization at this point and the list is growing.

In addition there is potential that since Florida allows electronic notorization that only the notary needs to be located in Florida and the signer can be located elsewhere.

this could be the reason why my most resent contract closed so quickly.
We have bought resale twice before and this last time I was so shocked at the speed the sellers got the docs back.. I few years ago it would have been 2 weeks min.

I don't have an in person bank branch, I've used an online bank since 1999, living in multiple states, its never been an issue and I prefer their banking and investment sites. My husband does have accounts at one chain bank but the local offices are still closed and would not allow a notary appointment (even in April 2021). Walking in to your local bank branch is not really a thing for many people these days (nor is owning a printer).

Hawaii requires notary, and apparently they have become fairly specific about the details. For instance they want the county of the notary to match the county the document is being executed in (i.e. our buyer county of residence). The first UPS store manager we went to is a licensed notary in a different county and said they have had trouble with documents in HI not being accepted if the locations don't match (this was detailed in the requirements doc from our title company). We had to go to a second store the next day.

The process took us a couple days, but I can see how if someone had less work flexibility and fewer options in their city they could run around longer to get it done. Or worse, have the notarization rejected by the title company or state because it wasn't quite right and then repeat the process.
None of my sellers are in HI or overseas. Most town clerks will also notarize documents. And I cannnot fathom someone who has the resources to own at DVC but doesn't have access to a printer.

My bank does not do notary except on their own produced documents. And all other banks in the area require a relationship if they do notary and then they don't always either. UPS store has become my go to but they've reduced their notary hours and a couple of UPS stores that used to do it stopped. So it isn't the easy head down to the bank for everyone. I have lived another place that it would have been as you experience and was quite surprised to discover it isn't that way everywhere so I understand the doubt but it's actually is a reality for some areas.

Add in witnesses and my UPS store can't do it as they typically don't have the staff. The bank, if they did it, would be hard pressed as well.
and, yet, these folks managed to purchase a DVC contract somehow and theoretically manage to get themselves on airplanes or navigate automobiles to WDW - book reservations, buy tickets. I'm in awe at their stunnning lack of imagination at selling time.

Most town clerks will also notarize documents.

Not sure where you live but that's not the case everywhere.

And I cannnot fathom someone who has the resources to own at DVC but doesn't have access to a printer.

It's not that they don't have access it's that it's an inconvenience and not a high priority to get it signed asap when the process had already taken 6/8/10/12 weeks.

and, yet, these folks managed to purchase a DVC contract somehow and theoretically manage to get themselves on airplanes or navigate automobiles to WDW - book reservations, buy tickets. I'm in awe at their stunnning lack of imagination at selling time.

All of which are done online with little to no effort and not even close to comparable to finding a notary.

The only time in my life I have needed to find my own notary was selling DVC. It's also something in our area less and less places are even doing it.

In addition you are dealing with notaries that you call or email and think a response will come and 3 days pass before you realize they never contacted you back.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter