What's up with 50's Prime Time????

TandT

DIS Veteran
Was I in the Twilight Zone today when I ate at 50's Prime Time Cafe for dinner???

What an odd experience my husband and I had. We had eaten here before and knew what to expect...however THIS time was MUCH different. The waiters were NOT AT ALL in their characters. They were so quiet and polite. Not at all doing their "usual" routine. It was really bizarre. I didn't feel like I was at Disney at all. :confused3 What happened??? Did they change the loud boisterious atmosphere?? Just curious if anyone else noticed this or heard anything....... To top it off..I had my Happy Birthday Disney Pin on and our waiter didn't even say anything to me :confused:

That's too bad. :confused3 We went in January and our Cousin was just in character enough for us. I was wondered it would be too over the top and it would scare DD but we all loved it. Great food too :)

I haven't been there since 2008, but I have been there several times over the past 18-19 years, and it has really been quite hit or miss for us. Sometimes our server has us in stitches, and other times it's been a really quiet, boring, and ordinary dining experience (even when we asked for a crazy server). I think it's luck of the draw.

hmm that's quite interesting. Perhaps something had happened that day or during the week?

Hopefully when we go our server isn't too over the top, but we'd like to have some fun too!

Taking my father with us this trip and I'm hoping they are all in character that day. That is odd..the main reason we go there. Hmmmmmm.....

We were there last month for lunch and the waitstaff was definitely in character. I guess maybe some staff are more into it than others.:confused3

We went a few years ago and saw none of the in character stuff that people talk about. My son and I were put in a corner and we barely got any service much less attention. We were also unimpressed with the food so we've had no desire to go back.

We were there 2 weeks ago and it was business as usual--Skippy, Mom, and "all the cousins". Maybe it was just that night?

However, we did not enjoy the food as much as we usually do. We are skipping this one on our next trip.

I've been a number of times and it seems like a crap-shoot on how "in character" your server is. I have been a few times and had an absolute blast. The last time I went (last April) was probably the least in character I've ever seen a server. He did a few things but definitely looked like he was going through the motions. We are going again this Saturday and I am hoping for a fun server :)

Unforunately, I believe they "profile".

My last time there (a few months ago) our waiter zoned in on my DD20 and my sister and myself were hysterical at all the razzing she was getting!!:rotfl:
She's young and cute and went along with it brilliantly-sometimes on cue, sometimes coincidentally.

There's no way my sister and I alone would have gotten that much attention!!

During our lunch, I did notice a couple seated near us that wasn't getting any of the razzing and talkback:confused:.

I have only eaten once there, and while the waiter was very nice and polite, he wasn't "in character", so I got away with having dessert without eating my veggies :cool1:

It's really hit or miss. We've had some that were so in character and we've had some that weren't at all. Luck of the draw I guess.

Maybe its like WCC and they're starting to get complaints from people who don't "get it". I really hope that's not the case...

Maybe its like WCC and they're starting to get complaints from people who don't "get it". I really hope that's not the case...

I think you may be on target there.... We were observing other tables with families and kids that were around us and how the other servers were interacting with them and it was the same treatment we were getting. VERY subdued.....making very polite comments...no mention on "MA" or the "Cousins" or "NO ELBOWS ON THE TABLE" .....I did hear one server tell a family after giving them their meals...BON APPETITE!!! LOL.... But the whole "ACT" was missing that night in the whole restaurant as we were observing. :confused3 I do think someone may have complained that got their feelings hurt or felt isolated. I know when we went last year....we took our 3 kids and the oldest which was 15 at the time(girl) got very upset at dinner from our server razzing her...we laughed it off...but u could tell she was NOT happy and she was embarrassed. So maybe something like that happened that day...OR they got too many complaints..like u mentioned about WCC.

Went we went a couple weeks ago, our server was full-on in character. Of course, I was purposely antagonizing him,....elbows on the table, telling him that someone in our party was hiding their veggies under their napkin, etc.,.... so he seemed to be having a great time.

Great fun.:lmao:

I will be there this Saturday and I will have my elbows on the table the entire time. BRING IT ON, COUSIN!

I think you may be on target there.... We were observing other tables with families and kids that were around us and how the other servers were interacting with them and it was the same treatment we were getting. VERY subdued.....making very polite comments...no mention on "MA" or the "Cousins" or "NO ELBOWS ON THE TABLE" .....I did hear one server tell a family after giving them their meals...BON APPETITE!!! LOL.... But the whole "ACT" was missing that night in the whole restaurant as we were observing. :confused3 I do think someone may have complained that got their feelings hurt or felt isolated. I know when we went last year....we took our 3 kids and the oldest which was 15 at the time(girl) got very upset at dinner from our server razzing her...we laughed it off...but u could tell she was NOT happy and she was embarrassed. So maybe something like that happened that day...OR they got too many complaints..like u mentioned about WCC.

Gosh- I hope this is not the case :sad2:
That's the fun part about going, (and their vanilla milk shake-yumm!)
DH got yelled at in July for not setting the table for me, and a teenage boy was not as polite to his mother as his server thought so he had to clear his whole table when dinner was done! DH also cleaned his plate and our "Aunt" made a loud announcement that he was a member of the 'clean plate club' and gave him a sticker on his shirt - it was hilarious :lmao:

WE were there on my actual birthday at the end of Sept and my 8yr old dd was dying for them to "get" me. We had the bday noted on the reservation. When we sat down dd told the waitress it was my birthday and she in character said....duh I can read the note and showed my dd a slip that had it noted. She teased us a few times and that was it. No cupcake, she didn't even SAY happy birthday to me. My dd was sooo upset. She even said to the waitress, don't forget it is my mom's bday. It seemed like the waitress was annoyed by it and we ended up leaving with a very disappointed dd. It was nowhere near as "fun" as it had been in the past.

We ate there yesterday for the first time after reading about all the fun people have at this restaurant. We were pretty disappointed. There was no interaction with our "mom" other than standard waitress pleasantries. I even told the kids to keep their elbows on the table, keep their hats on and not to clean their plates. All we got was a comment from "mom" to my son about how he must not be hungry. I was hoping for more interaction than that. I really didn't see how it was any different than any other restaurant. The food was good though.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter