What's Up At Hollywood Studios?

JustAKid

DIS Veteran
I have seen many references to Hollywood Studios only being a 1/2 day park "especially now". What's that "especially now" part mean? Also, how many rides are open during the last 2 weeks of April?

Thanks one and all for any help you have to offer. It's always appreciated!

There are many planned updates for DHS. Lights, Motors, Action is closing, so is the backstage tours, as is Streets of America, Honey I Shrunk The Kids playground is closing, Pizza Planet is being re-themed. Toy Story Mania is being expanded. All this is for the new Star Wars and Pixar areas to be opened over the next two years.

With so many things being closed in that park, there isn't that much to do there. And, the food isn't that great either. You will still have Rock N Roller Coaster, Tower of Terror, Star Tours, The Great Movie Ride and the shows.

Since November I've actually been going to DHS pretty frequently,basically to experience the Osborne lights several times,take pictures of everything that's going to be history in a few weeks and to see the Star Wars fireworks which are very good.With that said most of those visits were like from 3-4pm until closing,in just those 4-5 hours and having a few fast passes booked it felt like we did everything there was to do at the park,basically the park needs a good half dozen attractions as soon as possible.

Additionally, several of the things that are of interest currently (to us anyway) are closing soon as well. Club Disney is closing and the Star Wars fireworks are not currently scheduled to continue past March. So basically with my three kids (5, 2, and 2) we'll do a Disney Jr breakfast, hit up Toy Story, Star Tours for my oldest, Muppets, and maybe Great Movie Ride. Catch the Little Mermaid and Disney Jr. shows and try to get oldest signed up for Jedi training. We'll visit the Star Wars characters and that's pretty much it, a half day.

Even though things have closed & will be closing, none of them were things I made a habit of doing when I visit HS so it doesn't affect me. However, I usually spend no more than a few hours in the park in the first place..

Also, keep in mind that a "half day park" means different things to different people. To some, that conjures up images of leaving by lunch time. To others, a half day means that instead of being in a park between 8:00 a.m. to 10:00 p.m. (14 hours), they can complete the park from 8:00 a.m. to 3:00 p.m. (7 hours). The latter definitely describes us at DHS now. We don't make dinner ADRs there anymore because the last few times we did, we found ourselves trying to find ways to kill time between 4:00-7:00 having done everything we wanted and not wanting to endure hour long lines for the few things that we might want to do one more time. Now, we hit the exit by 4:00 which to us is pretty much a half day.

I have to also say, if you step back and look at the park for someone that has never been there, there is and will be a lot to still do... Sure for a local that didn't really love most of the park already, there's not that much left. For someone new to the park or doesn't go at least yearly, you can fill a full day if you did everything which someone who rarely goes would do.

Now I've been to it a lot, I am rather excited to see the change so I'm not skipping but I'm an AP holder so it doesn't matter how long I'm there, its no extra money to hop somewhere when I finish... Last trip in sept, we actually spent over a day in HS because we wanted to enjoy everything 1 last time in case we didn't get back before it closed again.

BTW, can someone point me to where disney said streets of america is closing? I only read that lights,motor + honey I shrunk the kids plus part of streets near those attractions were closing... It sounds to me like it's the "courtyard" that is closing down and construction is going to start behind streets for now.

Last edited:
It's always been a half day park for us. But we're never in ANY of the parks from open to close anyway, so...:confused3

We don't have kids and the consistent must-do's for us are Rock n Roller Coaster, Star Tours, Tower of Terror, and the Beauty and the Beast show. And Fantasmic, but we don't even always do it, if we're too tired to stay until close. We ride the rides I mentioned multiple times (when possible), do some shopping and have a few beverages/a snack and then call it a day.

I have to also say, if you step back and look at the park for someone that has never been there, there is and will be a lot to still do... Sure for a local that didn't really love most of the park already, there's not that much left. For someone new to the park or doesn't go at least yearly, you can fill a full day if you did everything which someone who rarely goes would do.

That's the reason many people consider it a half day park,it has a lot of shows and other attractions that people just don't do on every visit,it needs more "rides" like a TSMM and TOT that people do most visits.You would assume that this "problem" with the park would be an issue with locals only,I however would venture to say frequent visitors who are not locals are skipping some of these attractions,even those who only visit every 3 years or so have been seeing the same attractions for a long time,some of which have been around for a looong time,( ie.Indy show,coming on 27 years at the park!!)The theme of this park is one of my favorites of any Disney park so you would think that I would be upset with too much changes at the parks,but eventually you realize the park needs a major refurbishment so I'm totally excited over the changes and crossing my fingers Disney doesn't screw it up.The only thing I truly am upset over is the Osborne Lights being removed,I have to assume they have a plan for a third incarnation of a Holiday light show,as long as they do a good job with the changes and bring back a Christmas light show I'll be happy.

@DOOM1001 very valid points as I also skip a lot year to year and do it as a part day rather often. I did really enjoy not skipping everything, sure I knew it all but it was great to see it one more time in case it changed.

I guess my point is, if your new to disney, haven't been to Hollywood yet don't get scared off by everyone who has been there before saying it's all closed and nothing to do. There is a lot of things you've never done there and it can fill up the entire day. Sure you can count them on 2 hands but many of the attractions are 30-45 minute shows and they take the day to see them all.

@DOOM1001 very valid points as I also skip a lot year to year and do it as a part day rather often. I did really enjoy not skipping everything, sure I knew it all but it was great to see it one more time in case it changed.

I guess my point is, if your new to disney, haven't been to Hollywood yet don't get scared off by everyone who has been there before saying it's all closed and nothing to do. There is a lot of things you've never done there and it can fill up the entire day. Sure you can count them on 2 hands but many of the attractions are 30-45 minute shows and they take the day to see them all.

Especially trying to fit in all of the shows. You almost have to leave some time gaps if you don't want to run from show to show and you want to eat. We don't do all of the shows anymore but will probably do LMA one last time, even though we did it last year.

It all depends on how many things you like that are currently there.

What's closed w/o replacements yet:
Backlot Tour
Captain Jack Sparrow
Osborne Lights (seasonal display)
(closing soon) Club Disney
(rumored for February?) One Man's Dream
(by late March?) Star Wars fireworks
(in Early April) Lights Motors Action
(in Early April) Honey I Shrunk The Kids Area

What's closed with replacements:
Sounds Dangerous (Star Wars Path Of The Jedi)
Animation building (Star Wars Launch Bay)
American Idol (Frozen show)

Last edited:
I totally agree with what everyone here has said. I frequently just spend a half day at Holywood Studios but usually skip a couple of shows that I have seen a few times. When I sat down to plan a studios day for my cousins, who are first time visitors, I realized I was going to need the entire day to get everything in! I want to take the 15 year old to see Indian jones, the 23 year old to see beauty and the beast and frozen, plus rides, and fantasmic it's a full day!

Also, keep in mind that a "half day park" means different things to different people. To some, that conjures up images of leaving by lunch time. To others, a half day means that instead of being in a park between 8:00 a.m. to 10:00 p.m. (14 hours), they can complete the park from 8:00 a.m. to 3:00 p.m. (7 hours). The latter definitely describes us at DHS now. We don't make dinner ADRs there anymore because the last few times we did, we found ourselves trying to find ways to kill time between 4:00-7:00 having done everything we wanted and not wanting to endure hour long lines for the few things that we might want to do one more time. Now, we hit the exit by 4:00 which to us is pretty much a half day.

Good point! For my family, that is a full day, so 1/2 day is getting out right after lunch. RD to park close would kill me! LOL! We either go early in the day and leave around 3, or go later and stay til close, and consider that our full day.

For many shows that hover around 30 minutes long (Frozen, Indy, Beauty and the Beast) you have to commit another 20 minutes in line ahead of showtime if you want a good seat. That's an hour each. Other shows include Muppets, Mermaid, One Man's Dream, and Disney Jr. JTA is a 20 min show. Then because there are so few rides, riding standby can eat up a lot of time (TSMM, RnR, ST, ToT, GMR). There seem to be lots of character meet opportunities and Launch Bay. Those can also be a time sink. Riding headliners pretty much require rope drop if you want to do them all. Add a meal or 2, shopping, and the 1 1/2 hour commitment that is Fantasmic and another 40 minutes after F! to see fireworks. That long day makes an afternoon break basically a requirement for us and we are having trouble finding the time.

Now, DDs have only been to HS once and the youngest doesn't remember it. We are skipping a few things, but more out of necessity than because we don't want to see them all. I think most families like us who don't visit every year will find it hard to see everything. If you have only one age demographic in your family, ymmv. You could easily cut out a big chunk by focusing on just the preschool set or thrill rides. But our kids sort of straddle the line. They both still love the Disney Jr stuff, but they're into SW and the big kid stuff too. We'll be committing a whole day and are looking forward to it.

Here is the most up-to-date closure list (source:wdwinfo):

• Pizza Planet closed 1/11/2016- Late 2016
  • Lights, Motors, Action! Extreme Stunt Show closes permanently 04/03/16
  • Honey, I Shrunk the Kids Movie Set Adventure closes permanently 04/03/16
  • Meet and Greet: Mike and Sulley at Street of America closes permanently 04/03/16
  • Prop Shop- closes permanently 04/03/16
  • Studio Catering Co. closes permanently 04/03/16
  • The Writer's Shop closes permanently 04/03/16
  • Watto's Grotto closes permanently 04/03/16
  • High Octane Refresshments closes permanently 04/03/16
  • New York News closes permanently 04/03/16
  • Youse Guys Moychindise closes permanently 04/03/16
Permanently closed rides and attractions:

• American Idol Experience closed. Last day was 8/30/2014.
  • Backlot Tour closed permanently 9/27/2014
  • American Film Institute Showcase at the end of the Backlot Tour closed permanently 8/17/2014.
  • Legend of Jack Sparrow closed
  • Phineas & Ferb Meet and Greet- closing permanently 1/5/2016
  • Lightning McQueen & Mater Meet and Greet- closing permanently 1/5/2016
  • Joffrey's coffee kiosk will also be closing at the end of the day 1/4/2016

DHS has always been a half day park for me, even to the point that I have never seen Fantasmic because I get done so early and then don't want to wait or travel back later. What I usually do is schedule a lunch ADR at Brown Derby for around noon. I hit the park hard in the morning, go to lunch, and maybe a couple more things after lunch before heading out.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter