• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

What's there to do on Castaway Cay when the water is chilly?

luv2sleep

DIS Veteran
I am sailing out of PC next January. I've read a few posts that say the water at CC is on the colder side at that time of year. I haven't been to CC yet. What else is there to do? I had hoped to hang out in the water for much of the day but considering I am a cool water wimp I probably won't.

Bike, lay in the sun, walk, rent a boat, read a book, drink...

Sent from my Nexus 7 using DISBoards

We were just there, the water is chilly but not freezing.

Don't rush off the boat, have leisurely breakfast, play mini golf, wait for it to get a bit warmer, we left boat around 10am.

Then we rode bikes, they have bikes of all sizes and that was a lot of fun and safe.

We hit the beach around a 11. We paddled, but not swam, though a lot of people were swimming, my husband went snorkeling for around 30 minutes. We built sandcastles.

We hired tubes and floating mats and that was so relaxing, just floating on top of water.

You have lunch and then return to boat mid afternoon and use pool and slide.

It's not that cold, so long as the weather is kind.

Doing the 5k makes you want to jump in the water no matter how cold it is.

We were there on a pouring rainy day in April. The kids swam but Dh and I didn't. The kids went into the clubs and DH and I walked down to the lookout tower. Great view up there. Walked to the adult area. Enjoyed that. Had a long leisurely lunch trying out everything. Lingered in the shops. Walked all the paths checking it all out. Sat under umbrellas and enjoyed the view. Sat under a tiki bar and enjoyed some drinks.

It was a great day.

Two cruises ago on our stop at CC the temp was high 50s/low 60s with a strong breeze [wind]. We wore layers including sweatshirts with jean shorts. No one swam that I saw. My family still had a fun & relaxing day. DH & DS went out in a kayak, the four of us used a paddleboat, the kids & DH rode bikes and of course we enjoyed lunch. I set up on a lounger right where they start on the family beach -- no point in going further down that trip. I read and played Angry Birds for a bit on my iTouch and enjoyed the peace and quiet with the towels covering my legs. It was still better than being stuck at home in January during a snowstorm. ;)

we play volleyball, check out the different stores, build sandcastles,
take the tram and see the island.

We have been in January and found that the water was cool when we first got in, but was then alright. We are from Maryland and the water at Castaway is warmer in January then Maryland beaches are in the summer. The water temperature doesn't go below 72 degrees.

[T]he water was cool when we first got in, but was then alright.

We were at CC about 10 days ago and this was my family's experience as well. Of course it didn't hurt that the high that day reached nearly 80 degrees F!

We were there a couple weeks ago and my girls and I got off the ship around 9:15 and were some of the first people to Serenity Bay. The girls got in the water in the afternoon for awhile, but it was too cold for me. We chilled in the hammocks and enjoyed the sun until about 2:30 when we headed back to the ship.

I'm more of a beach than a water person.

I am sailing out of PC next January. I've read a few posts that say the water at CC is on the colder side at that time of year. I haven't been to CC yet. What else is there to do? I had hoped to hang out in the water for much of the day but considering I am a cool water wimp I probably won't.

We almost always go in January. Out of the 11 times we've been to CC, there have only been 2 days where it was too chilly to go in the water. Don't fret; there's a far better chance that you'll have great weather. And, if not, there's still so much to do there and back on the boat.

buy used shorty wetsuits from ebay!
Seriously, DH said "we're paying so much $$$ for the cruise, I'm getting shorty wetsuits to enjoy CC." We just bought our tweens 2 wetsuits for under $25 each from ebay. They looked brand new (probably bought for a trip). Make sure to buy at least 1-2 sizes bigger, as they fit very tight.

We were there last Friday and it was exactly as you described. Temps only expected to be in the upper 60's. We were cruising without kids, so we enjoyed a nice long walk from the ship all the way to the farthest point on the other side of the island past Serenity Bay. This is a path typically accessed by bike riders, but it is perfectly fine to walk. We never would have been able to do this on a typical hot day, so we took advantage of it. Then we had lunch at the Serenity Bay Cookies, and walked back to the ship.

DH grabbed a hammock and slept while I took pictures and then snorkeled, we then ate, drank, took another nap on the hammocks, then biked around the island, and ended the day Jet-skiing.

We just left CC 3 weeks ago. The water was a little chilly, but once you were in, it was very comfortable. We got the extreme package @ CC. We got floats, snorkel gear, bike rentals and the Stingray adventure. My family, DW, DD (21), DS (18) and I had a fantastic time. I would definitely say that CC was the highlight of the cruise. After we did everything, we just relaxed at the adult beach and enjoyed the day. I believe we may have been the very last people back on the boat before she sailed. We are hooked and will absolutely cruise again with Disney.

We bought kites at Dollar Tree. They fit in our suitcases and everyone had a good time. There's usually enough wind to get them up. Smaller pocket kites can be bought at toy stores or outdoor rec stores.

My parents, who won't swim regardless of the water temperature, are planning on trying to find the geocache that is on the island.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter