• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

What's the worst part about a DVC/Disney vacation?

I guess I am alone but I think, for me, it is not having daily housekeeping (yes, I know you can pay for it if you wish). It is more to do with having to make my son's bed (he seems incapable of tucking in a sheet and making his bed properly) than my own. The cleaning side fo things doesn't bother me, I would just love to have somebody come in and make the beds.

Its actually been proven scientifically that it is better from a cleanliness perspective not to make your bed (especially not in the morning) when you make the bed, you trap moisture and encourage mites and other microscopic fellow to grow and multiply.

Its actually been proven scientifically that it is better from a cleanliness perspective not to make your bed (especially not in the morning) when you make the bed, you trap moisture and encourage mites and other microscopic fellow to grow and multiply.
I read that, too, but an unmade bed just looks so bad. I'll let it sit open for a while, then make the bed.

Took years to get used to the pace of change in the DVC program, but I'm mostly now ok w/knowing that procedures will change...

One change, tho, remains a definite negative for me--the new restrictions on swimming during hours when the pools are not officially open. I now make the resorts w/quiet pools that aren't restricted (except during actual cleaning) a priority, but I find I miss the places where I can't swim--And the swimming situation "killed" one resort (WLV) for me completely...those CMs were so nasty to me I simply will not ever go back to that resort...

By and large I agree w/previous posters who say "leaving" or "I wouldn't go if there were negatives"...but the loss of swimming for exercise was a real blow for me. And, BLT's not-so-good internet access is a big enough problem for me that BLT is often not a place I can/will choose to stay.

So...as negatives go, not so bad...but you asked and for me they are negatives...
I think all the pools, including the leisure pools, have posted hours. I also think the various drownings around the complex necessitated the change in rules. Sad, but sometimes things change.

Sure leaving to go back home is tough but to us on a more serious note is the perks that matter or lack of perks that matter. Sure I know DVC is there to make a profit or at least carry their weigh within the Disney empire but come on. As a person(s) we have shown our support and love of Disney by investing big time and spending big time there. We are to them a cash cow! I still think it is asking not to much to have better perks for us. Some I would like to see are for us at least the non-expire park tickets return, we loved them and for returnee's they were great. How about a better discount on tickets all the time and not just occasionally. One I would love is the ability to ensure ADR's for us, say 200 days out not the 180. I am sure as soon as I hit enter I will think of others but this will due for now. Oh real quick also better Fastpass access. I know as an IT guy all this can be achieved if the IT department had not been so decimated and outsourced and has the backing of upper Disney management...smjj

Buses. I hate the buses. We rent a car every trip which is an added expense, but thank God, it saves me from the buses. I repeat...I hate the buses. :sad2:

So I know we all have something that we just don't look forward to when going to Disney world.

Personally mine is the bus system I don't know why but I really can't stand using it. Things that always seem to happen to me is delays in loading and unloading or when your waiting for one bus but 3 other buses for the same place show up causing a massive line and or over crowding suitation and then my favorite sharing your bus with another resort espically when it's already full add on nesscary evils like strollers and sometimes scoters it can get really packed. I know they do they best they can and most of the time it's fine but boy I can't stand them!!!!!

I have to agree with others --- leaving is the worse part! I even asked my DS9 this evening and without any prompting, that was his response. We have generally been pretty lucky with transportation, although there have been a couple of times that they have let us down. Of course, one thing I don't look forward to is packing the Owner's Locker! It is one reason why we are steering away from split stays. I probably spend at least a half an hour taking inventory and trying to get everything back in it's place. Despite that challenge, I can't imagine DVC vacations without the OL!:thumbsup2

The decisions! Which resort/unit to book? Did I book the best one -- should I rebook?? Dining ADRs? FP+? Which park on each day? Can I move the dining ADRs and FP+? Oh, my!
(I'm in the "should I rebook?" phase right now ... ugh!)

UPDATED to change my mind: Nix the earlier thought, the worst part: dropping off the dog at the kennel. Such a sad face -- breaks my heart every time.

Your last update reminded me of two other bad things about a DVC/WDW vacation: getting home and paying for 10-12 days of airport parking and 10-12 days of kenneling the dog!:crazy2:

Moving luggage/items due to a split stay, in order to avoid frequent use of the bus system. OR moving luggage because I had to change room types because we foolishly used too many points previously. On the topic of moving luggage- paying tips twice, to have the stuff put in holding then to have it moved to the room. I suppose that is due to wanting to tip well and not gyp anyone.

No kenneling of the dog- at home sitter because we can't even inconvenience the dog because we are going to Disney.

For me it would have to be waiting for the magical express bus (not necessarily the ride) and why does it always seem my resort is always the last drop off?

Crowds and cost. The rate at which we're paying more to deal with more people is becoming a turn off. Not cost of DVC as we're locked in, but the cost of admission, cost of dining, etc. It's just escalating way too fast.

It's a great place, but there are FOR sure annoying aspects of a Disney trip
  • Everything about the buses (waiting for them, the other people on them, having to frequently stand on them)
  • No daily housekeeping in DVC (I am not going to pay extra for it, but man do I LOVE housekeeping)
  • CROWDS, by the time I am in a security line at MCO I am close to losing it with always being surrounded and pushed by people
  • The Pace- in my everyday life I am not on the go quite as much as I am in WDW
  • of course paying the bill and leaving is the worst of all

I don't know if this is true, but I had a CM tell me, on our first DVC vacation "Now that you're in DVC, a tub is a request, not a guarantee" and so refusing to move us unless we paid the moving fee (and this was after only a couple minutes in the room, but I digress). So I guess the worst part is wondering if we'll get a tub, and knowing we'll probably be unable to change it without the fee. Yet, when we've stayed at non-DVC resorts, we've been moved without question or charge when I say "I have arthritis. I really would prefer a tub for soaking my muscles."

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter