What's the tiniest thing about your home that hate?

The warped laminate flooring under the refrigerator damaged when the ice maker leaked. Not visible, so not worth fixing, but annoying.

Ok, brag coming up here. We did a lot of DIY fixes during COVID and also had some contracted work on a bathroom and front patio. I started to answer with all my little pet peeves, and kept coming up with "oh, that's fixed, ..." I still have lots of things I'd fix if I won the lottery or something, but I think I'm down to those and out of the little things I hate! I would have said, the shower door, the sticky kitchen table, my crumbling rock wall out front, the water stain on my bedroom ceiling, etc. but we fixed those things!

It makes me wonder why I'm grousing around my house today because things still need cleaning. Can the fact that I need to do a better job maintaining it be the thing I hate?

Last edited:
lack of separate AC zones - to cool the upstairs bedrooms to a comfortable sleeping temperature, we have to make the main floor downright chilly

Having such a small kitchen, but as I've been inspired by Japan lately, I took some ideas from Japanese kitchens and began implementing some tricks.

A couple scratches on my wood floor that I only see when I'm vacuuming. I always think it's something I can pick up.

To many things, but if I had to pick just one it would be a stain on the ceiling above the front door - it looks like someone spilled coffee on the ceiling. How does this happen you ask? The attic had condensation which made the items in the attic wet, which caused the ceiling to be wet, which caused the stain - it looks awful! Once DD18 goes to college it will be at the top of the list to fix

I have a laundry list of deferred maintenance items we need to address at our house, but I can pick one thing.

My dad built our huge wood deck for us 22 years ago. We’ve been very good about maintaining it, but over the last couple of years a few boards in the sunny part of the deck have warped. Those boards need to be replaced. My dad didn’t nail the deck boards down; he screwed them all down with wood screws thinking it’d be easy to pop damaged boards in and out later. Well all the screws have now rusted.

We have a couple of boards that are cracking and a couple that are warped and sticking up about an inch (a bad tripping hazard). When my dad was visiting a few months ago, he spent a whole day trying to get the worst warped board up, but he could not do it. So we have to hire someone with better tools to remove and replace the damaged boards.

From the main family room sofa, the worst warped board sticking up is perfectly framed by the French doors to our deck. Perfectly framed, as if it’s mocking me every day!

My late uncle years ago wanted to help me out by 'fixing' my squeaky desk chair, so he rubbed some kind of black oil on it. I sat on the chair and it had stopped squeaking...it had also leaked this black oil onto my bedroom carpet-which is beige. It resisted all efforts to clean it up so now I have this black stain on my carpet forever.

Our powder room counter has a purple stain on it courtesy of the former owners. The only way to get rid of it is to put in a new counter. I hide with a candle when guests come over.

I think I'd have to say that our bedroom is always hotter than the rest of the house in the summer and colder in the winter. I imagine it's because it's above the garage.

My ceiling height after we built the house with nine foot ceilings our contractor informed me...could've been ten with no extra cost. It would've been much easier to buy a Christmas tree....

My washer and dryer in the "wrong" order. The washer is on the right side and the dryer on the left. This is the opposite of every house I've ever lived in. I can't change it unless I have the pluming and gas moved.

This one is my sisters: The washer and dryer( both doors open in front) and they are set up in a closet facing each other. So when you open the washer door, you are trapped behind it until you take out the clothes, and you can't open the dryer door until you close the washer door, so you have to put the wet clothes on top of the dryer first, close the washer door, then open the dryer. Whose stupid idea was that?

This one is mine. The hot water heater, also in a closet, is turned so the pilot light is furthest away from you on the side facing the back wall. To light it, you have to get down on the floor, use a mirror placed up against the wall to see it, then, still lying down, reach over and light it by looking in the mirror. Whose stupid idea was that?

My washer and dryer in the "wrong" order. The washer is on the right side and the dryer on the left. This is the opposite of every house I've ever lived in. I can't change it unless I have the pluming and gas moved.
I think you win the “tiniest thing”. This is inconsequential and matters not at all, but would drive me batty every single time I did laundry. I never have given a single thought to there being a correct order, but there definitely is.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter