What's the Sitch? The Great Disney D-Tour! (12/19 Lego Tribute)

Hi! I love all the pics from All Star Movies. I'll be staying there next month and requested the Toy Story building. From your pics, it looks fantastic. Looking forward to seeing it in person.

I had no idea all of that was in there! WOW!

I personally like the resorts with soft landscaping (ie. plants), but I can really see now how this would appeal to families with younger kids! They were obviously having a major blast in there.

Very, very fun start!

HA! I totally laughed at MomCapell's remarks about how angry DS was! Glad he was able to get over it and have a fun time!

Hmm... ressies? at DTD?? Fultons? I remember you guys liked seafood from Cap'n Jacks last time.

And that's just the Toy Story building!
I know there is some other fun theming in the other buildings as well.
But our guys are Toy Story addicts so this was the place for us.
And you can see how much fun they had!

As for dinner, nice guess but it's actually easier than that.
I'll post the update in a minute...

Hi! I love all the pics from All Star Movies. I'll be staying there next month and requested the Toy Story building. From your pics, it looks fantastic. Looking forward to seeing it in person.

It was a blast!
You will definitely enjoy it!

After changing into our formal dinner attire :goodvibes, we headed to the bus stop.
Disney2009044.jpg

40 minutes later (with a half an hour left before our ADR), we gave up.
We saw buses to every park (plus the water parks) go by but nothing to Downtown Disney.
The line had gotten pretty long and still no CM’s called in a bus for us.
I’ve heard this could be a problem at the All-Stars with the same bus servicing all 3 resorts, but this was insane.
Luckily, we had a Plan B.

We hopped into the minivan and told our GPS to find Planet Hollywood.
I love using a GPS in Disney – it makes the navigation soooo much easier.
We arrived without a hitch and then wandered around looking for a parking spot.
And wandered.
And wandered.
Annnnnd wandered...

Ugh – maybe the car wasn’t the best idea in the world after all.
I mean it was only 4:40 and Downtown Disney was packed!!
Finally, we found something and had about 5 minutes for our ADR.
And apparently we were a parking lot over from where we should have been.
I grabbed the kids and started off at a pretty fast pace.
Disney2009084.jpg

Finally we arrived and I saw that our friends had already checked us in (that was a relief).
Any guesses where we ended up?

Here’s your hint:
Disney2009085.jpg

:banana:

Yup, we were headed back to one of the kids’ Top Two restaurants in all of Walt Disney World.
(For the record, DD’s other favorite is Coral Reef while DS loves Sci-Fi Diner).
But this time, we had reservations for 8 as we were joining another family.
It turns out a friend of DS’ is a DVC owner and happened to be finishing off their trip as we were starting ours.
They had never been to T-Rex and we raved about it last year so we decided to meet up!
As usual, it was loud but soooo much fun.
I know people usually give it horrible reviews but if you’re going just to sit back and enjoy, we still love it.
Here’s a video which gives you an idea of the noise level as well as the awesome look of the place:

I requested the Ice Cave once again but they didn’t have a large enough table in there.
Instead, they took us to the Shark Bar.
Disney2009050.jpg

This is a fun section but the best part is that we got to sit in the Jellyfish Booth!
Disney2009052.jpg

We saw this on our last trip and thought it would be a blast to sit here!
Basically, there’s a HUGE jellyfish hanging above you and it acts as a light.
Gotta love the creativity there!
Here’s a promo pic I snagged off a website to give you the idea (I forgot to take one):
TRexJellyfish.jpg

And, to top if off, there was a nice little Stegasaurus staring at us
Disney2009047.jpg

The food was good – Mom and I split the appetizer sampler again and it was plenty.
The kids had their chicken nuggets again.
All the food was above average and, yes, we will definitely be coming here again.
The only bad things about this place are that yes, it is loud (but we think in a good way), and the service is usually slow.
But the atmosphere more than makes up for it!
When we had the inevitable restroom breaks, I brought the camera to capture the restaurant once again.
I love these signs:
Disney2009053.jpg
Disney2009054.jpg

Another shot of the Ice Cave
Disney2009056.jpg

Then it was off into the Forest Room where an Apatosaurus was waiting for us
Disney2009058.jpg

Along with his friends
Disney2009059a.jpg

And don’t forget Mama Triceratops
Disney2009062.jpg

With her little baby
Disney2009063.jpg

Next stop – The Kitchen of Fire
Disney2009064.jpg

This room had the grill (obviously) with Pteradactyls flying overhead.
Disney2009065a.jpg

Disney2009066.jpg

In between rooms stood the Woolly Mammoth
Disney2009068.jpg

And its baby
Disney2009067.jpg

Disney2009069.jpg

Lastly, here’s DD after dinner.
She was a little uneasy sitting in front of the baby T-Rex while it was roaring...
Disney2009070.jpg

After dinner we headed to The Paleo Zone.
Next to the gift shop and Build-A-Dino store, there’s a little, almost hidden area where kids can dig for fossils.
It’s exactly like the Boneyard in Animal Kingdom’s Dinoland so we knew it would be a hit.
Disney2009077.jpg

The kids popped off their shoes, grabbed some brushes, and went to work
Disney2009073.jpg

Even X had a blast!
Disney2009075.jpg

Disney2009078.jpg

And here’s some dinos keeping a watchful eye on our little diggers
Disney2009074.jpg

Outside the restaurant is a huge T-Rex exoskeleton
Disney2009083.jpg

Lastly, I’ll leave you with one more look (and listen) of the restaurant’s namesake in a video from another angle:

Stay tuned for a whirlwind tour of the Downtown Disney Highlights - Capell Style!

Wow that place is cool. Can't make it on our very fast trip in 2 weeks but planning a week or so in May. Think I'll talk DH into going there. How is the food? I wish mine were small enough to play in that area. Oh well G-babies one day. Great pictures.

Wow that place is cool. Can't make it on our very fast trip in 2 weeks but planning a week or so in May. Think I'll talk DH into going there. How is the food? I wish mine were small enough to play in that area. Oh well G-babies one day. Great pictures.

Suprisingly, we really like the food.
I figured it would be like chain restaurant food but we enjoyed it much more than that.
And while its overpriced, they give you plenty.
We've been there twice now and both times split the Supersaurus Sampler.
(We love appetizier platters - no decisions!!)
It consists of ribs (for an extra couple of bucks), Spinach and Pepper Jack Queso & Chips, Brachiosaurus Bruschetta, T-Rexadillas, and Onion Rings.
Very tasty and ALOT of food.
We were extremely tempted to follow it up with the Chocolate Extinction
(an ice cream fudge cake volcano that spews smoke) but decided to grab something later.
We were pretty stuffed from the sampler.

Keep in mind that reservations are directly through T-Rex Cafe and not WDW-DINE.
And it's not on the Disney Dining Plan since it's privately owned.
But it was worth paying for an extra meal in our opinion!!

Awesome T-Rex pictures !:thumbsup2 How cool that you got to sit in the jellyfish booth , I bet the kids loved it :) That's neat that they have a little place outside for the kids to dig , I didn't even know that . I will have to let my kiddies do that next time we are at DTD .

Awesome T-Rex pictures !:thumbsup2 How cool that you got to sit in the jellyfish booth , I bet the kids loved it :) That's neat that they have a little place outside for the kids to dig , I didn't even know that . I will have to let my kiddies do that next time we are at DTD .

Yeah, the jellyfish booth was fun and we had a blast with our friends.
It was our first planned meet while at Walt Disney World!

As for the play area, it is a lot of fun and a place for the kids to get their wiggles out.
Especially since this was a short trip and no Animal Kingdom was scheduled, this was a perfect fit.

Awesome update ! Loved all of the T Rex pictures !
I have a couple of questions.
Do you know if I can get that appetizer sampler in the bar? It sounds yummy but I don't have an ADR for this time around.

Also when you use your GPS at Disney do you have addresses or are you able to find everything by searching by catagory? We don't usually drive down but this time we are, we pretty much know where everything is but it's fun to use the GPS.

Awesome update ! Loved all of the T Rex pictures !
I have a couple of questions.
Do you know if I can get that appetizer sampler in the bar? It sounds yummy but I don't have an ADR for this time around.

Also when you use your GPS at Disney do you have addresses or are you able to find everything by searching by catagory? We don't usually drive down but this time we are, we pretty much know where everything is but it's fun to use the GPS.

Unfortunately I don't know about getting the appetizers at the bar but I imagine you can.

As for the GPS, we used the resort and park names.
They are located in Lake Buena Vista and our GPS knew things like Planet Hollywood, Pop Century, Epcot, and All Star Movies.
However, sometimes you have to preface with "Disney's" like "Disney's Animal Kingdom Lodge."
Hope that helps!

BTW, you can easily test it by just plugging in those names now and see if your GPS recognizes them...

Another great update. We ate at T-Rex in August and thought not only was the atmosphere cool but the food was really good too.

Oh gosh! Duh! Of course you'd end up there! So much for fun for the kids. Your pictures are fabulous, and while the food isn't California Grill quality, you sure look like you're having a wonderful time!

I can see X is really getting big- there's even a big difference between this and the last trip. Fun to watch them grow up :)

Another great update. We ate at T-Rex in August and thought not only was the atmosphere cool but the food was really good too.

I'm actually surprised when I hear bad things about it.
We really enjoy it.

Oh gosh! Duh! Of course you'd end up there! So much for fun for the kids. Your pictures are fabulous, and while the food isn't California Grill quality, you sure look like you're having a wonderful time!

I can see X is really getting big- there's even a big difference between this and the last trip. Fun to watch them grow up :)

X is definitely a little person now.
And the kids definitely had a blast this time around.
Speaking of which, it's about time to get back to it!

We finally exited T-Rex after several hours of fun and catching up with our friends.
It was getting late already so they headed back to Saratoga Springs.
We, on the other hand, had some more exploring to do.
And with a certified LEGO Brickmaster on hand, it was a pretty easy decision where we were headed next - The LEGO Imagination Center.
And Mom even had made sure that the boys were in their LEGO Star Wars shirts.

Outside the store, X found a cool shark
Disney2009086.jpg

And then we checked out the LEGO version of T-Rex - slightly different than inside the Cafe...
Disney2009087.jpg

DS examined each construct and you can see him trying to think whether or not he could reconstitute it at home.
But by now he was busting so we headed inside.
The Bionicle section caught his eye as he’s just starting to get into those.
Disney2009088.jpg

And then we saw something that we couldn’t quite figure out.
It was like a cross between Medusa and the melting witch from Wizard of Oz
Disney2009089.jpg

We also spotted a robot complete with LEGO not-so-mini figure.
Disney2009090.jpg

In between each photo op, DS was combing the store for new sets and trying to figure out what to buy.
We ended up with the minifig sale (3 make-your-own minifigs for $10) so both DS and DD built their own and Mom made one for X.
And since I couldn’t resist, I grabbed a small LEGO City set for DS as well.
We were going light on souvenirs this trip but it was hard to leave his favorite store without getting him something – he’s a pretty good kid and deserves it!

We headed out (and had to almost drag DS out) and over to World of Disney.
It was getting late but we wanted to get some shirts.
So Mom went shopping as I hung out with the kids in the center of the store as they watched the big screen TV.
We basically were right next to this (which in itself was pretty cool)
Disney2009092.jpg

And then I noticed the Fab Five were “Celebrating Today” so I had to grab some pics:
Disney2009097.jpg

Disney2009094.jpg

Disney2009095.jpg

Disney2009093.jpg

I’m not even sure what we ended up buying but it wasn’t much.
And by now it was getting dark and we had a long day in store for us tomorrow.
We started to head back to the parking lot but but I had to snag some nighttime photos of T-Rex before finally leaving Downtown Disney:
Disney2009103.jpg

Disney2009109.jpg

In the parking lot, we got all settled in, stowed our souvenirs, and noticed this guy staring at us:
Disney2009110a.jpg

Very random so I had to grab a shot.
Then we followed our trusty GPS and headed to our new home – All Star Movies.
The kids were pretty tired and everyone all but fell asleep on the way home.
But me – I was wide awake and tired of sitting.
Stay tuned as I stretch my legs and go exploring a bit on my own…

Great update :thumbsup2 The Lego store pictures are great , my DS is also in love with that store , we are up to our noses in Lego's at this house ! LOL Beautiful night time picture of T-Rex ! Can't wait to see your exploring pictures , I need to do more of that the next time we go :)

Great reports! Can't wait for more. You also have me pondering a quick little stop when we go to FL in February to visit relatives. Hmmm can I squeeze it in?

Great update :thumbsup2 The Lego store pictures are great , my DS is also in love with that store , we are up to our noses in Lego's at this house ! LOL Beautiful night time picture of T-Rex ! Can't wait to see your exploring pictures , I need to do more of that the next time we go :)

I know the feeling - DS' floor is covered in LEGO and you can barely step without feeling one underneath your foot!

Great reports! Can't wait for more. You also have me pondering a quick little stop when we go to FL in February to visit relatives. Hmmm can I squeeze it in?

DEFINITELY!!! :thumbsup2
Even the quick detour was totally worth it (as you'll soon find out!)

The Lego store is our hands down favorite!! There are so many picture opportunities there, and everything is done so creatively!!!It is one of my very first memories of WDW from back in 2000. You know that sea monster/dragon thing in the water. Love it!

You've already had a long, full day, but there's more??!!!

You must have gone a wandering around the resort!! Yippee, more pix!

I'm back from WDW and all caught up! :) The pics from TRex and DTD are great! The colors are gorgeous! I love Rayna's All-Star themed outfit! :thumbsup2

The Lego store is our hands down favorite!! There are so many picture opportunities there, and everything is done so creatively!!!It is one of my very first memories of WDW from back in 2000. You know that sea monster/dragon thing in the water. Love it!

You've already had a long, full day, but there's more??!!!

You must have gone a wandering around the resort!! Yippee, more pix!

I opted not to take the same pics we did last time like the sea serpent and the LEGO family and the robot.
You'll have to go the previous trip report for those! :)

But we love all that stuff!
And more pics are definitely on the way!
I wouldn't have it any other way!

I'm back from WDW and all caught up! :) The pics from TRex and DTD are great! The colors are gorgeous! I love Rayna's All-Star themed outfit! :thumbsup2

How was your trip?
Send me a link when you start your trip report!
As for the outfit, that was all Mom's doing.
But I thought it was perfect as well!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter