What's the scariest movie you have ever watched?

There's this old black and white movie called "Kingdom of the Spiders". I watched it when I was in elementary school. My parents were out and I had a babysitter. I thought from the title that it would be a documentary (I liked documentaries). It was not. It is, to this day, the only movie which has ever kept me up at night.

The Haunting -- this is the first horror movie I ever saw when I was a kid in the 60's. It's probably why I love the Haunted Mansion so much!!

Halloween. My heart was racing for about an hour after we saw that! That music and how Michael Meyers could just pop back up??!! :scared1:

I tend to avoid scary movies, but my husband's good friend from college, wrote and directed one called "With You". It's been 9 years, and there are parts from it that still haunt me.

I believe it's still available to purchase on Amazon, and there is a IMDb page.

The one scary movie everyone thought was terrifying and I didn't even flinch -- Blair Witch Project.

Back before we were married, dh wanted to see it so I begrudgingly agreed. From what I heard I expected to leap out of my seat in fright. Nope. It wasn't scary to me.
:upsidedow

Yeah, I found Blair Witch Project exceedingly boring and poorly made....where are the scary parts????? But perhaps like another poster said, it needed to be seen in a theatre. Ex-H rented it one night and both of us were like "we wasted $3 to rent this crap?"

Jaws was scary when I saw it while in High School.

The Omen was pretty scary as well. I saw that in my college theatre about 4 years after its first run. As for The Exorcist, I also saw that in college, and found many of the so-called scary parts to be funny, they were so ridiculous.

In general, though, I'm not a scary movie fan, and I've never seen a slasher film.

That movie is 100% about the atmosphere in which you watch it. It needed to be 100% silent, not a single person talking or taking a bathroom break etc.. Plus seeing while it was still plausibly real found footage (great PR campaign around that one) added to it. I recall being quite freaked out by that movie the first time I saw it. The 2nd time was meh.

Saw it in the theaters when it first released during all the hype. No bathroom breaks, but no way that packed theater was silent. They were screaming ... and all I kept thinking was this is so stupid! :sad2:

Yeah, I found Blair Witch Project exceedingly boring and poorly made....where are the scary parts????? But perhaps like another poster said, it needed to be seen in a theatre. Ex-H rented it one night and both of us were like "we wasted $3 to rent this crap?"

Nope, theater made zero difference to me.

You just saved a lot more money than we did! :P

I love love love scary movies! Scarier the better. I finally watched Blair Witch a few months ago on Netflix. Wow, I was soooooooooooooo bored! I kept waiting for the good part, but it never came.

Saw it in the theaters when it first released during all the hype. No bathroom breaks, but no way that packed theater was silent. They were screaming ... and all I kept thinking was this is so stupid! :sad2:

Whelp I knew I was in the minority on this one anyway. But to each his own.

There's this old black and white movie called "Kingdom of the Spiders". I watched it when I was in elementary school. My parents were out and I had a babysitter. I thought from the title that it would be a documentary (I liked documentaries). It was not. It is, to this day, the only movie which has ever kept me up at night.

LOL....I always loved that movie. I have it on VHS

I remember that one-the zuni fetish doll running around after her with the little spear.

You know, I remember seeing some movie when I was a young teen about a little zuni doll that came to life, I can still picture it in my head, but I never knew what it was from. I was thinking Twilight Zone or something like that. Thank you both!!! You have solved a 30 year mystery. :)

I can't believe that nobody said "Paranormal Activity" (the first one)

Maybe it was because I had absolutely no idea what it was about before I watched it, or my unsetting fear that spirits can really harass people physically, but the thought of having what happened to that girl happen to me freaked me out to no end. For a VERY long time, I would not go into the basement by myself, or my attic - I swear I would have literally died on the spot from a massive heart attack if I was in either of those places and the wind blew the door shut. DH was working out of state at the time I saw that movie, so I used to make my (then) 5 and 3 year olds come with me when changing laundry loads for protection LOL

To this day if I wake up in the middle of the night anywhere around 3am, I cannot get out of bed or turn over - I have to be facign the bedroom door and feel DH behind me. If he is on a trip overnight, I sleep on the couch or have one of the kids sleep with me!

That movie seriously messed me up for life!

Oh, I'm going to add The Strangers to my list. We watched it at our cabin in Western MD so maybe that's why it was so scary to me.

And I'll put PA on the list too. The first and second one were uber creepy.

Jeepers Creepers. Halloween--the first one. The music still gets me. When I was about 11, my stepbrother made me watch The Fun House. I saw it on cable not too long ago--still scared me.

I keep forgetting the Exorcist, too. Poltergeist was pretty scary, also. To be honest with you guys I've never seen the true hack and whack scary movies. :scared:

The Original "Halloween" with Michael Myers is my # 1 scary movie for its day for sure. The music, the way the scenes were shot....very creepy. I loved Cabin in the Woods, very original. I was totally freaked out by the first Zombie movie I ever saw, which was Dawn of the Dead. It's not that gory by today's standards but back then I was terrified! I've never seen "The Eye" but heard it's a must see...it's on most lists. Has anyone seen "The Human Centipede"? This was truly disgusting....hard to watch....but had to see what folks were talking about. Yes, the Exorcist was really awesome for it's time as well. I enjoyed "The Last House on the Left"....the remake....well done. The "Texas Chainsaw Massacre"...every version...is super, edge of your seat, creepy. What about "American Werewolf in London"? Great special effects for it time as well. There are just too many to remember. And there are so many newer ones that are really good. I'd have to look at a list of best horror movies of all time to remember them all but I've most likely seen them all. HUGH HORROR FAN! Love M. Knight Shamalyn's stuff. Saw his latest....loved it!

There was a movie called Sometimes They Come Back that really scared me when it came out. Haven't seen it since then so I'm not sure how scary it would be to watch it now. Also, Dead and Buried - again haven't seen it in years but it really scared me.

I'll also agree with someone who posted Salem's Lot and the original Night of the Living Dead.

I saw one of the Paranormal Activities when my son and his friend couldn't get into the movies. I went in with them but sat by myself. I had nightmares that night. I think it was the 2nd or 3rd one. lol

Too many good scary movies out there, but the scariest single moment for me was when I heard "the call is coming from inside the house".
Agreed, the original with Carol Kane is truly a terrifying film!!! So much better than the dumb remake.

Too many good scary movies out there, but the scariest single moment for me was when I heard "the call is coming from inside the house".

What was the name of that movie? I'm thinking it was Dial M for Murder but not sure.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter