Whats the reasoning behind January weekend pricing?

SelfEmployedDebtFree

DIS Veteran
OK, let me explain... I got an email from Disney for a special price for AP holders. It listed certain dates (below) as being eligible for a reduced price room. I was just wondering if anyone knew why they left that one weekend out of the deal? I checked the WDW schedule on AllEars, and it dont show anything happening that weekend. It looks to be a very low attendance weekend. why would they block it? I didnt see any conferences, and sporting events, or marathons. I could understand them blocking that weekend if it were a big event weekend, but it doesnt look to be one. :confused3

Here is what it said:
Save $23 per night!†
We’re offering this special rate to Passholders like you—a day ahead of the general public!
*Available most nights 1/1–1/11/07 & 1/15–2/14/07, at select Disney Value Resorts in a standard room.
See important details below.

The weekend they have exempt is the same weekend we are planning to be there. I'm sure theres some simple explanation... I just want to know what it is!!! I dont want to be there if its going to be crazy that week! :grouphug:

Yep, thats Martin Luther King weekend. It never USED to be excluded from the AP rates, because we have been there before over that weekend, and I know lots of people go that weekend. Isnt it true, that if you CHECK in on a value day, you get the value price for your entire stay?? Call them and see if you check in on the 11th or before, what your total stay would cost you. I know last year, I check in the Wednesday before Pres. Day Weekend. The rates go from value on Wednesday, to PEAK on Thursday. I checked in on wednesday and got the AP rate for value season for my entire stay.

It could also be that all the rooms are already booked and there are not any available for those dates. Since it is a holiday, I have a feeling there will be more people than normal there.

Darn, I guess there is NO slow season anymore. We did Cancun till it got too crowded and too expensive. (6 years straight) and it looks like this will be our last year of Disney. Crowds and an autistic angry child dont mix. I guess our little secret destination isnt a secret anymore.
Guess I'll get an RV and see the country!

Isnt it true, that if you CHECK in on a value day, you get the value price for your entire stay??
That part I'm sure of. Its true. It dont help the crowds though. My son lags waaaay behind and refuses to keep up with us, the slower we walk, the slower he walks. He gets lost when its crowded. It only takes a second. Its happened 3 times and theyve had to do the castmember/security hunts. Weve tried wheelchairs too, but that dont work either because he insists on steering it himself, and hes not too coordinated, and he runs over people. :happytv:
Until now, weve had a flexible schedule on our side, but now; this year; theres NO slow times. It seems its booked solid whenever you call, REGUARDLESS of the dates.
Hmmm. Wonder what Disney stocks are doing!

SelfEmployedDebtFree said:
Until now, weve had a flexible schedule on our side, but now; this year; theres NO slow times. It seems its booked solid whenever you call, REGUARDLESS of the dates.
Hmmm. Wonder what Disney stocks are doing!

Unfortunately, that's pretty much true. Disney has pretty much tried to market promotions (free dining, toddler months, room discounts)during slow months so they are no longer slow. Many people are also willing to flex the schedules. We use to always go the last week in October, now its creeping up there attendance wise. It's still a whole lot less packed then in middle July. ;)

Ok, sorry to hijack but HOW IN THE WORLD do you register your email address on the AP site so they can send you things. I have yet to figure it out.

Go to the official walt disney world website, and set up an account as an annual passholder. Voila! done.
I have bought my tickets online through Disney too, so that might have something to do with it.
Heck, Im registered at about 8-10 different disney fan websites too! The more the merrier! (Though I will say that at least one of them isnt what it used to be.)
If I remember correctly; they also asked us for our email when we bought our APs at the park, but I could be wrong about that.

Holiday weekend = time off for the schools. Park attendance is above value season populations.

SelfEmployedDebtFree said:
Weve tried wheelchairs too, but that dont work either because he insists on steering it himself, and hes not too coordinated, and he runs over people.
Try a transport chair. It's a wheelchair, but all four wheels are the small ones you usually find on just the front of a wheelchair. He can't reach them, he can't steer himself, voila!

kaytieeldr said:
Try a transport chair. It's a wheelchair, but all four wheels are the small ones you usually find on just the front of a wheelchair. He can't reach them, he can't steer himself, voila!
::yes::
Transport chairs work very well in those kinds of situations. Besides that, they are lighter weight (so less to push) and because they have 4 small wheels, they are easier to fit into a car trunk.
There are some pictures of transport chairs on this webpage. If you search on google for "transport wheelchairs", you will find a lot.
Here is one of the local Orlando places that rent transport wheelchairs:
Mobility Wheelchair Rentals
I don't know anything about them other than that they do rent these. The companies that are listed in the disABILITIES FAQs thread near the top of the disABILITIES Board are companies that many DIS posters have reported good experiences with in the past. None of them have transport wheelchairs listen on their websites that I could see.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter