• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

What's the point of checking in online so early?

Lights_Out

"With the lights out, it's less dangerous"
I can check in online right now, but is there a reason I shouldn't (or should)?

Thanks

I do it becaue it gets me excited:cool1::cool1::cool1:

Also for the last two trips I have checked in 10 days before letting them know I would be there at 9AM. Both trips I had a room waiting for me ready for me. Most likely it's coincidence, but even the smallest chance to extend my vacation will ahve me checking in as early as possible.

I do it becaue it gets me excited:cool1::cool1::cool1:

Also for the last two trips I have checked in 10 days before letting them know I would be there at 9AM. Both trips I had a room waiting for me ready for me. Most likely it's coincidence, but even the smallest chance to extend my vacation will ahve me checking in as early as possible.

ME TOO!! I got so excited the last time I went and did online check in. I felt like I was one step closer to vacation!...And I too, had my room waiting for me at about 11 am...
That and I didnt have to wait in that HUGE line that was at the front desk....:goodvibes

Alrighty! Thanks :)

I was just wondering if there was a reason not to.

I guess I'll just go ahead and do it!!! :goodvibes:

That and I didnt have to wait in that HUGE line that was at the front desk....:goodvibes

I never checked in online, so please excuse this possibly silly question, but where/how do you check in at the hotel when you've checked-in online? I mean, don't you still have to go to the desk for the room number and keycards? Thanks for the info!

I never checked in online, so please excuse this possibly silly question, but where/how do you check in at the hotel when you've checked-in online? I mean, don't you still have to go to the desk for the room number and keycards? Thanks for the info!

At the front desk you will see a sign with a computer on it. That is the online check in desk. You will get your KTTW card, park maps and other info in a folder. They have the KTTW cards ready to go and you hardly spend any time at the desk.

If it's your first visit and you aren't arriving early in the morning, I would probably not do the online check in. The CM's don't tell you much as they figure you have already been to WDW before.

I also received a room early in the morning when I used online check in. We had a red-eye flight. We however did not get the one room request-not 50's section. I had them move us the next evening.

It is supposed to be a faster check-in when you arrive.

IME, it was (more often than not) a longer wait than regular check-in.

We always stay at a home away from home resort(BWV) and I love check-in. The welcome home speech always kicks our trip off perfectly. Do you miss getting that when you check in online? I like the idea of potientially having a room waiting for me when I get there but don't want to miss it.

We always stay at a home away from home resort(BWV) and I love check-in. The welcome home speech always kicks our trip off perfectly. Do you miss getting that when you check in online? I like the idea of potientially having a room waiting for me when I get there but don't want to miss it.
They'll still say, "Welcome Home" when you pick up your keys.

I wouldn't miss it because I don't like it. I'm not at home. I just left home. I'm really glad to NOT be at home and to be at Disney World. It seems forced, phony and very insincere. I'd much rather they said, "Welcome to Saratoga Springs!" or whatever. When they say, "Welcome home!" to me, I have to do the weak-smile thing.

But they still say it, which is good news for people who DO like it, like you! :)

Are you able to choose where you want your room? We stay at POP & I like being on the top floor. No pitter patter of feet over head:). We also like being near the computer pool. We've never had a problem getting what we want when we check in at the resort but PP I like the feeling like the vacation is that much closer & I'm organizer freak

You know, I think online checkin has its merits in its time. I usually do online checkin, because I know whatever room they give me, I'll be happy with it. If you plan on taking the room they give you (provided they assign you the one you paid for--there are reports of people paying for preferred and getting standard), then online checkin is great. But if you have a request that you must have, then online checkin is not for you. You are best off with regular checkin.

Are you able to choose where you want your room? We stay at POP & I like being on the top floor. No pitter patter of feet over head:). We also like being near the computer pool. We've never had a problem getting what we want when we check in at the resort but PP I like the feeling like the vacation is that much closer & I'm organizer freak

You cannot make a room request with online checkin. To make a room request, you need to call Disney and talk to a cast member.

You know, I think online checkin has its merits in its time. I usually do online checkin, because I know whatever room they give me, I'll be happy with it. If you plan on taking the room they give you (provided they assign you the one you paid for--there are reports of people paying for preferred and getting standard), then online checkin is great. But if you have a request that you must have, then online checkin is not for you. You are best off with regular checkin.

I agree with the regular check in if you have a special request(esp. for rooms), I usually do the family suite at ASMu. I don't care how far from the food court or busses it is as long as I have a place for my head at night.:)

It is supposed to be a faster check-in when you arrive.

IME, it was (more often than not) a longer wait than regular check-in.

I'll add an example to this. Last year we checked into the Poly around 9:15 a.m., and went thru regular check-in. I noticed another family at the online check-in desk at the same time. We got checked in, told our room was ready and our requests were met. We received our card keys, brochures, etc., leis around our necks, and were all done in just a few minutes. As we were leaving I noticed the other family was still at online checking, with another family now waiting behind them.

This is a little OT, but when I click online check in on the Disney World Resort site it takes me to my DINING reservations! :confused3 I am a bit annoyed with this. Anyone know what is up?

Thanks!

We have done online check in at least twice. The first time we used the service was right after it was made available.

We like it because we have done all of the registration before we get to WDW and all we have to do is to get our "stuff" from the desk. It is a big step in getting to vacation. :) It is MUCH faster. The only "problem" we have had was the first time and the CM at the desk did not know how to handle online check in. The CMs asked us if it was our first visit was well as "Welcome Home" which we like. :thumbsup2 Tis true too since we are DVC owners. :lmao:

Online check in is not a guarantee to get you in faster. There can always be a problem with your reservation or the group in front of you. We had a problem with one of our room keys at check in. I think it was missing or had a name misspelled and it took a few minutes to resolve. It still was far quicker than being in the regular check in line.

I noticed in our last stay that there was always a long line for regular check in vs online. There no guarantee that when YOU get to the online check in line that there are not 20 other DISers in front of you and the regular line is empty. :lmao:

Later,
Dan

Problems we had were split reservations. Our DP on day of checkout quit working and we were stranded. We had to cut our park day short, go to our new resort, check in and use the new KTTW cards for our lunch that day. I had checked in online for both places before our trip, and their computers upon checkout automatically transferred the dining plan from our old cards to the new cards.

That ruined our day- had to eat lunch 2 hrs later at the resort which forced me to cancel and change our ADR's for a later dinner, our group decided to just unpack at that point so we missed park time.

The idea is that the documents and your keys are waiting for you when you arrive, there is a separate line, and it should take less time at the front desk. In practice, sometimes that results in less time waiting, sometimes it doesn't. Most of the resorts I have been to will take some regular check-in guests in the separate line, and they do sometimes have to explain things to guests who have done online check-in or there may be a problem. Nor does online check-in guarantee that your room will be ready early.

In theory the online check-in is suppose to eleviate having to wait in line for a long time. IF you have done online check-in , your welcome package will be ready and you just "grab & go". Delays result when guest have questions that the CM must take the time to answer or if the guest has special requests and holds up the line trying to have these requests that were not met when the room was assigned.

So if you will be happy with any room you happen to be assigned to,and you have no special requests or you have no questions about the layout of the resort etc. then by all means do the online check-in and grab your welcome packet and go......other wise wait and check-in once you arrive at the resort and not hold up the online check-in line.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter