• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

What's the next "must haves" in houses?

Randi

<font color=purple>Don't you dare dangle my meat i
So what do you think will be the new trends in home decor?

I think granite countertops & stainless steel apps. will become "dated" like all other trends, not to mention "open concept".

Stained cement floors seem to be getting popular-although I think they work in a store or restaurant better than they would in a house.

Wood covered ceilings

Huge center islands in kitchens

Oversized refrigerators

Oversized laundry rooms with granite and full sized cabinets

Outdoor kitchens

Stone fireplaces

Home theatres

Over sized appliances. People only want stainless steel because they want to think of themselves as an Iron Chef. It only makes sense they take the next step. And I see over sized appliances starting to hit the stores. The irony is, it will be over sized appliances they'll hardly ever use (except for the fridge)

I have seen the new finish on appliances called White Ice and it is really pretty.
Someday my kitchen will be redone and I will have that finish. :lovestruc

Stained cement floors seem to be getting popular-although I think they work in a store or restaurant better than they would in a house.

Wood covered ceilings

Oversized refrigerators

Outdoor kitchens

Stone fireplaces

Home theaters

Other than the cement floors and the wood on the ceiling (hardwood floors in the entire house), my house is over ten years old and has all these things.

Whether stainless is a fad or not, I think it looks a lot nicer than white or black. I had white and it looked cheap even though it wasn't.

I love our endless current pool. More and more of our neighbors are installing the after they build.

Now you tell me, we just bought a stainless oven. I'm always years behind anyway. :rotfl:

I have seen the new finish on appliances called White Ice and it is really pretty.
Someday my kitchen will be redone and I will have that finish. :lovestruc

I saw those new finishes in a magazine but have yet to see them in person. I think that will be the new appliance finish.

I don't believe granite is a fad. They might change it up or use is differently, maybe cut it differently but that stuff is great. It is a must have for me and I have yet to see anything out there that matches its durability, ease and functionality.

I also think backyard living will continue to grow and be "big"

Wood covered ceilings

Oversized refrigerators

Outdoor kitchens

Stone fireplaces

Home theatres

Had a girlfriend that wanted female company as she looked over floor plans and model home mock ups.

We looked at one home that had a island that was bigger than my king sized bed. It was huge and all I could think was what a waste of storage space, as I would be afraid that things would get lost in there, so I would limit what I put in there.

The oversized friges - I would love one, but I highly doubt I will ever have a house that will have a kitchen big enough to hold one. If you have a larger family or host a lot of guests, I can see it's usefullness.

It also amazed me at the number of houses that had dual laudry rooms. One directly on the master and one adjoining to the rest of the bedrooms. The ones that we looked that were attached to the masters, were a closet/laundry combo. All of those were bigger than a lot of bedrooms.

With an outdoor kitchen, if we lived down south, I could see looking for a house with that feature. I would love to be able to just take everything outside and fix a full dinner, but here it wouldn't work. We might get full use out of it for 5 months out of the year.

Stainless was a fad.

Granite is a classis.

So what do you think will be the new trends in home decor?

I think granite countertops & stainless steel apps. will become "dated" like all other trends, not to mention "open concept".

I do not think stainless steel appl are a fad. They are pretty neutral. The new colored appl are more fad. They will someday soon be the avacado green appl of the 70's.

I think granite could be on the way out but I think any countertop that has a strong design or is trendy has the potential to be outdated.

The fad now is hardwood floors. When I was a kid, everyone had hardwood and wanted carpet. Someday, that trend will return. They always do.

I think granite and stainless steel are pretty classic looks, so I'm not thinking they will be on their way out any time soon. I wouldn't replace my stainless with anything, and the same goes for my granite.

I think a big trend that I am seeing is mudroom lockers/cabinets. Our mudroom has lockers with benches and the works and it is seven years old. When we built, it wasn't an unusual custom touch, but it wasn't huge either. I think mudroom lockers/storage have become a must-have for many families. I would never own a home without them.

I'm also big on a huge island in the kitchen. Ours is very large, but it is also the workcenter of the house. Homework is done there. Meals are prepared and eaten there. There are bookshelves on the ends, so cookbooks are housed there as well. Overall, an kitchen without a decent size island is pretty useless to me. Of course, I have three fairly young kids. Ask me again when my husband and I are empty-nesters.

The fad now is hardwood floors. When I was a kid, everyone had hardwood and wanted carpet. Someday, that trend will return. They always do.

What I'm seeing on those home decorating shows (and with some friends) is different types of woods for flooring. Reclaimed wood for flooring seems to be a new thing.

We are looking into redoing our floors and countertops throughout the whole house (very old carpet and laminate counters, blech!). I would love to be able to use some reclaimed wood for the floors. We still aren't sure what we'll do with countertops. I can't imagine what we would use if we didn't go with some type of solid surface.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter