What's the most horrible...

I was abused in my childhood, and I'm not going to share any of that here because no one wants to read about that even though that's the first thing that pops into my mind when you ask the question. So I'm going to go with a more lighthearted answer:

My oldest child was very large at birth, 10 lb 12 oz. Coupled with that, he was turned the wrong way (not breech, I can't remember the proper name for it, but he was facing up instead of down). I believe it's cheerily referred to as "sunny-side up", but what it means for mom is potentially hours of miserable pain and pushing. It took me 4 hours to push him out, and his head was visible for that whole time. My husband got excited when he first saw the head and kept coaching me, "you're almost there, you're doing so good, you're almost there". After the first half-hour or so I realized what a horrible lie that was. Yet he continued to say it for the entire 4 hours and I never told him to shut up, which I think shows remarkable restraint on my part.

When I was in grade school, the "popular girls" told me I was the "short, boring girl with orange hair and eyes like a snake." I was devastated. Well, I'm short, I'll give you that. Boring, eh, at times. I have strawberry blond hair and green eyes. It took me years to get over that. The first man to tell me I had beautiful eyes, I thought was being mean. Turns out, he really meant it.

I hate that most liars appear believable. Especially under those kind of circumstances.
I think that is because they believe their lives. My mother is a chronic liar. She truly believes her rewriting of history. She tells everyone that I ruined the family and stopped talking to them when in fact my parents disowned me and my dh and three kids because I would not lie for my brother or turn my back on our family's faith to support my brother in his association with a cult. She tells all our mutual acquaintances that I've lost my mind. Not a lie told to me but quite a zinger.

Last edited:
I met a friend, and we later became roommates.

She was in grad school and was a bartender at night. She graduated, but could only get 2 tickets to her graduation, so I couldn't go. Her parents flew in for the graduation, but had to fly back home that same night, so I never got to meet them. A few friends took her out to celebrate that night. She told me her parents gave her a trip for 2 to Paris for graduation, and she wanted me to come with her. She also had received a job offer from a major airline and was going to move across the country to take the job.

Long story short....she was never in college and her job as a bartender was really as a stripper. She also had an outstanding warrant for stealing a car in another state. I later found out many, many, many, more lies that she had told, and I'm sure there are many more that I never found out about. I assume she has some kind of mental illness. Watching the lies unravel was strange to say the least! I chose not to call her out on it, and just let the friendship fade away.

So DH and I share a mutual best friend. He was going through a time in his life where he didn't have a whole lot of money. He met a guy at work and they became roommates. We obviously met this guy because we were over at our friend's place a lot. He may have come to our apartment a couple of times too. We all thought he was a nice guy and we all shared similar interests. We, of course, were Disney fanatics then as well as now. We were planning a trip, but were looking for some folks to share room costs with us. We had one friend signed up already, and this guy expressed interest as well. We were stoked. We arranged rooms, flights, and tickets. The day before we were all set to leave, he called and said his aunt was terminally ill and he had to go visit her. We were obviously disappointed, but told him it was okay. We got Disney to cancel his tickets, but had to pony up the flight and room costs ourselves (we were certainly not rich then, either). He promised he'd pay us back.

Well, obviously, there was no aunt. Shortly thereafter he disappeared from our friend's apartment with most of his stuff, sticking our friend with the rent (which he could not afford on his own). We, of course, never got our money back, and had to help our friend move to an apartment with another of our mutual friends (who had an extra room and was willing to let him stay for cheap/free). We never heard form this guy again.

Mine doesn't compare to most of these, but my brother-in-law "embellishes" everything to the point of ridiculousness... the great deal he got on something he bought, the praise that the coach heaped on his son -- promising college scholarships and beyond (even though I was standing right next to him when the coach came by and all the coach said was "[nephew] had a great game!")

It's all ridiculous, stupid stuff -- stuff nobody even asked him about, so there's no reason to even bring it up if you feel you "need" to lie. But it's small enough stuff that if I confront him about the lies, he'll turn it around and I'll end up looking like the one who's making a big deal out of nothing. It's an insult to my intelligence though. I want to say "Do I look *that* stupid to you?" I've mentioned it to my husband and he just brushes it off as "fishing stories", but it really bothers me.
That's annoying, especially when you cannot avoid the creator of the tall tales!

Last edited:

That my Aunt who I live with was in a horrible car accident. I kept calling and no one picked up the phone. I literally had to leave a party to go home and make sure she was okay. Yup it was a "friend" who liked me and was angry I didn't like him back. I think I was 18/19 at the time.

Someone knew I thought she was despicable and a horrible person, told me -- during an argument when I was calling her on her latest heinous behavior -- that she'd been sexually abused by her father as an excuse for her behavior. It was a lie, a horrible lie, which she admitted. Worse of all, her father was the one person who always stuck by her no matter what she did. Although I know she told that lie about him because she knew he would forgive her for it, the fact that she would so horribly defame that one person who loved her unconditionally as an excuse for her behavior really cemented my belief that she was pure evil.

"Cheaters never prosper."
Wish I could believe that, but I think it's a saying that those of us who do not cheat say to make us feel better. My ex, who cheated and lied for a majority of his life, is now retired in another state, and had quite a prosperous business, so is living a really nice life. I don't harbor ill will to him, but I can't forget all the lies he told.

There isn't really just one horrible lie, but a few that impacted me, or could have if I believed them.
Lies said to me from my exhusband:
  • Ex-dh told me that loved me -- pretty much the same that others have expressed
  • Ex-dh used to drive a Mercedes that he said was his. When we were engaged I asked where it was since I hadn't seen it in a while, and he said it was in the shop. It wasn't until after we were married that I found out it belonged to his mother, and she had lent it to him.
  • Ex-dh said he had inherited copper mines from his dad - not only told me, but had told people at the place where we worked -- not true
  • Ex-dh had a catamaran that we had in our backyard for years, until his father took it back
  • Ex-dh told me that he sold his van to a friend and the friend was making $10 payments - I never confronted him, but am sure he lost it in a game of poker
  • After ex-dh and I became exes, he used to threaten to take the kids away from me (they were 2 & 3 at the time). I was terrified, and used to stay on the phone trembling while he ranted and raved at me. One time, (he had been drinking or never would have admitted it) I asked him why he threatened me, and he said it was to get me to do what he wanted - that was my first ticket from living in hell. He lost power over me, and I got a backbone and my self-respect back, and he was never able to bully and lie to me again without me calling him on it.
  • My ex used to call on Friday afternoons and tell me he couldn't get the kids (he lived 2 hours away) because he had to work on the weekend. This happened time and again. I would not make any plans with the kids on 'his' weekends, and they would be waiting for him by the door for him to show up, and he wouldn't. I later found out from his sister (who I was still friends with) that he told his family that I had made other plans with the kids, and so he couldn't get them. Then he'd go to Vegas for the weekend. I figured that that was my release, and from then on, if there were plans for one of 'his' weekends, we'd go ahead and do them. He now had to work around my schedule. One time he told me that he was four hours late to pick them up because there was a storm where he lived. He told his family that there was a storm where I live. I found this out by accident that he had told them that same lie - we had blue skies, no clouds at both locations. He later told me he wished I wouldn't talk to his sister. :rotfl2:
  • (side note - the fact that he pretended he had more money, when he literally had none, was not the issue with me - it was the lies. I come from a family that has worked for everything we have, so I wasn't looking for an easy way out. So, there was no reason for him to tell me these lies, especially when we were supposed to be building a life together)
Another set of lies - from my brother
  • Told me that he had cancer and was given six months to live unless he had surgery that would cost $48k, and could he borrow that from me. I then didn't hear from him for about 3 months. He then told me that he had had surgery, but that the doctor had removed polyps. I looked up these surgeries online, and saw they were more like $8k instead of $48k, and told him I wanted to see the invoice. He told me he didn't have it any longer. So, I told him I wanted to see the doctor because they would have a copy. I didn't hear from him for another 2 months. When I did see him again he admitted it was a lie - just to get money from me. He was desperate, and there are other things that were going on.
  • He told me that he got a job in another state and was going to go there and would live out of his car until the first paycheck. I gave him money to help him (yes, he's a liar, but still my brother), and a few hours after he left a cousin called me because he had called her to ask if he could crash on her couch - this was in another state and he had no job. He stayed away for three years, and I was so happy.
  • He came back 'home' and asked if we could start over (last year). I've always been there for him, but since I do not believe a word he says he wanted to have a good relationship with me. So, I said sure. It worked for awhile, but last lie happened the weekend before Mothers Day, and I told him I'm done. It makes me incredibly sad, because my parents are gone, and he and I share our childhood memories. Now I have no one, and feel very alone in my generation (kind of hard to explain). I'm comfortable with my decision, but still sad.
This is another lie, not mine, but in the category of whoppers it is one of the biggest I've heard
  • I have a friend who's mother is very narcissistic. She was insulted that her daughter, who was getting married, had her stay in a hotel instead of at the daughter's house ( but she had a good reason ). The night before the wedding, the mother of the bride told the mother of the groom that the bride was cheating on the groom with the best man. After the wedding ceremony and reception, that night - there was a huge blowout between both sets of parents and the bride & groom. They didn't talk to their parents for about three years after that. Their relationship was mended, but not totally, if you know what I mean.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter