What's the latest you boarded ship and still got Palo Res's?

nuke

Life is Good
We are flying in the night before our 7 day cruise and will stay near the airport the first night. I don't want to be rushed the next day and I hate crowded rooms so I know that I don't want to be waiting in line to get on the ship. Also my mom has a back problem and can't be standing for a long time.
Therefore I was thinking of not leaving the hotel until 11am or 11:30am. Dropping off the car at Avis and then heading to the pier.
Do you think we will avoid the crowds at the terminal and still be able to get Palo reservations?
Thanks!

We sailed the Magic in Jan and had a late flight. We got on the ship at 2 or 2:30 and got Palo reservations. Not the exact times we wanted, but we were able to change them later on. There are always people canceling or changing their reservations.

sue

Nuke,

You are "asking" to stand in long lines if you wait that long.

Here is a recommendation based on our latest experience:

Drop your party and luggage off at the terminal at 10:15 A.M. You can drop them off just past the front door at the curb drop off area. If you choose, you can also drop them off under the tent in the day parking lot, but they will have a 100 yard walk to the terminal and at least one ID check along the way (the porters are also located under the tent).

The doors to the terminal open at 10:30 A.M. for check-in (all of your party does not have to be there to enter the terminal, but you need your cruise docs and adults need ID to get past security). If your whole party is in the terminal by 10:45, you will be very close to the first in boarding line at one of the dozen, or so open counters. Since only one person is required to drive the rental back to Avis (located at the Radisson), take the first Avis or Radisson shuttle back to the Port (if you are unburdened by luggage and solo, it is easy to get on a shuttle). Shuttles run every 20 minutes for the round trip.

Once inside the terminal, there is lots of seating if you are there early. Then, only one person needs to wait in the boarding line (and can sit on the floor). If your mother needs a wheelchair (even one temporarily), your party will board first (before the general boarding line).

Benefits:

o Less line waiting / standing
o Get to enjoy the use of the terminal before the masses (very useful for unobstructed picture taking)
o More upgrade opportunities the earlier you get there
o You will get seats in the atrium area of the terminal
o You will board the ship earlier
- you will get the reservation times (Palo / Spa) you want, not what's left over (ressie rush - no worries)
- you will get an opportunity to swim first (our kids were the very first in both the Mickey and Family pools - We've got some great pictures of their "exclusive use")
o If you don't want to swim, you can eat before the masses

Good luck

My dh and I and our 3 year old daughter went last Nov. We were not sure how she would do with the Oceaneer Club ( we were on the 4 day cruise) so we did not make Palo res. when we boarded the ship. She ended up loving the Club so we called on the 2nd night aboard around 5 pm and were told there had been some cancellations and 6:30 would be fine. So if you do not get what you want you can call and they will put you in if there are any cancellations. Good Luck.

my husband and i made our reservations around three and it looked like they were packing up for the day. we were the only crusiers besides cm's. so we avoided the long lines and didn't have to rush and get there extra early. a lot of days were booked however. we went on formal night which of course never is booked. but as others have said many people cancel and they'll fit you in if they can throughout the week. have fun.

Got to the ship at 3:45 (long story) and called that evening around 6pm for ressies on the last night of the 4-day Wonder. Got a call the next day that a res was available for the next night but turned it down because we wanted it on our anniversary. Got another call the next day stating that because of so many requests, they would open Palo 1/2 hour early and fit us in at 5:30 :) We jumped on it. Although, I don't know how true the story is that they told us because we were the only ones there until 6pm. That made us feel even more special:)

I'm not sure I understand how security works at the terminal. Here's my plan, please let me know if there are flaws with it. We'll be staying at the Radisson tomorrow night for our cruise on Sat (Yipee!). Anyhow, I planned to have hubby drop us off with all the luggage and he would go back and then return with the shuttle. I was planning to check us all in at the desk while he was gone. He would still have his drivers license, but i'd be holding all his docs and his US passport. Will I be able to check us all in with him not being present and will he be able to get into the terminal if I'm holding his docs. Please advise quickly....we leave early tomorrow morning! Thanks much!!!!!

I would also like to know the answer to JeanneG's question about checking in at Port Canaveral while her husband returns the car to the Radisson. Please help, I don't leave until next May, so I can wait longer than Jeanne for a reply. Thanks.

jeanneg-

Last August we checked in just as you have planned and it worked out great! But, I'm not sure if things have changed since then. Maybe a more recent cruiser knows for sure.

JeanneG, yes, you can do as you plan BUT your husband will still need to show his face with his photo ID after returning to the port. You should be able to check him in but they will need to see the face and ID, which shouldn't take that long.

Nuke, we tend to arrive LATER now and have found absolutely ZERO boarding lines between 12:30 and 1:30, and that's still plenty of time to get Palo, at least in our experience. We used to arrive super early but have since discovered that we can board MUCH quicker by arriving after boarding has started. Check in takes maybe 10 minutes max and we walk right on the ship, without having to wait in a long boarding line.

Good luck deciding. :)

Jeanneg -

See my reply earlier in this post. We cruised June 7th and needed picture ID <u>AND</u> cruise docs to get into the terminal (pre-cruise). The security is right at the door where you enter (before the escalator). One in our party (who parked at the port rather than the Radisson) needed to dump some stuff in his car and re-enter the terminal after check-in, and had to show his KTTY card and picture ID to get back in.

Regarding check-in, our whole party had to be at the desk at check-in (brother-in-law was wandering around taking pictures, and had to come to the counter to present ID / proof of Florida residence).

Another option that will work is to park in the day parking lot across from the terminal (FREE) near the porters/luggage/ shuttle tent. Then the whole party enter and check-in together. Then, the driver can exit to move the car and ride the Radisson shuttle back. If you are in the terminal at 10:30, you should be able to check-in, and have your driver do the drop off and return before 11:15 A.M. Sign up for the 11:00 shuttle at the Radisson (Shuttles run every 20 minutes). While your driver is parking and shuttling back, the rest of the party (already checked-in) can enjoy the terminal. Also, many people leave a carry-on in the boarding line to hold their place, so they don't have to have someone physically standing/sitting there.

Good luck!

P.S. - boarding started at Noon for our sailing.

Thanks for the suggestions everyone! :)

I think we will take Michelle's advice and try to arrive between 12:30 and 1pm. I will drop off everyone and return the car and take the shuttle back myself (unless someone wants to tag along with me).

Now I need to decide what day to try for Palo and if we want to do the brunch as well as a dinner.
:p

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter