What's the difference between these 2 hard drives?

They look like the same drive and have the same size HDDs inside. The Premium has a 1 year warranty and the Pro has a 3 year warranty. Also looks like the Pro has more advanced software (EMC Retrospect versus WD Backup).
HTH.
---Ritch

One difference is that apparently (if you read the fine print here, that the Pro is formatted in HPS+ for use with a Mac. It would need to be reformatted for use on a PC, presumably with NTFS if you're using Windows.

The dual drive external hard drives ship with either an NTFS (My Book Premium II) or HPS+ (My Book Pro II) partition.

They do a lousy job of explaining it... I also found some horror stories here, the original blog posting is not something I'd take seriously (one single bad experience with hard drives is nothing to go by - especially if, as the comments imply, the guy wasn't bright enough to bother checking the partitioning) but there are a fair number of comments with a range of experiences.

Considering the steep cost of this device, I'd definitely lean towards a single-drive setup, or a pair of them if you need more (you can get a 750g single drive nowadays.) Or some kind of NAS.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter