What's The Deal With The Crowds In June??

Well Shelby,

You can have a hard time believing me if you like, but it's the truth. I wouldn't even answer your challenge to my truthfulness because, frankly I couldn't care less, but I hope people reading this will give TGM a try. We waited in no lines, none. We also did everything worth doing in all four parks.

Tinkssister- I wasn't questioning your truthfulness, or trying to be mean..I just find it hard to believe..this guide guy must be amazing because we had to stand in line for EVERYTHING..including the bathroom and the water fountain.

i just think it is a bit misleading when people like me and others newbies ask how crowds were and I know I saw posts similar to yours..little lines...rode everything... that possibly could be true with years of experience and planning..but MOST people don't have that kind of time, money, or patience.. I just think it is misleading....

OK Shelby,

I'm not trying to be misleading. It really is the truth. I can't explain it either because Mike's plans are copywrited and you have to pay the fee(20 bucks). But, really, I didn't wait in any lines. Maybe a bathroom line or two, but actually not even really those because I was in the right park on the right day at the right time.

Really folks, give this TGM guy a try. For 20 bucks it's really worth it.

tinkssister said:
OK Shelby,

I'm not trying to be misleading. It really is the truth. I can't explain it either because Mike's plans are copywrited and you have to pay the fee(20 bucks). But, really, I didn't wait in any lines. Maybe a bathroom line or two, but actually not even really those because I was in the right park on the right day at the right time.

Really folks, give this TGM guy a try. For 20 bucks it's really worth it.

I'm glad TGM worked for you! I am gonna try it myself this time for the heck of it. I've never had a problem without it but am curious........like I said, SIL did TGM and she still was frustrated at the MK, but she wasn't flexible on what days she went there and they most likely weren't the ones TGM suggested. That does make a HUGE difference. She did follow his info for the other parks and it helped. I think it was just MK that was the nightmare.

I posted before about this. We were there June12-24, stayed at BCV. Universally, the crowds were bigger than any other June trip we've taken. Since we were there for an extended period we didn't feel the need to stand in line and took advantage of some morning EMHs and primarily Fastpasses to minimize waits. I found evening EMH to be a waste at all parks for different reasons but for the most part I think it was because attendance is just way up. I would say all the most popular attractions had the longest waits I've seen in over 12 trips to WDW. We got spoiled for few years by short lines and especialy E-Ride night in MK. I've never really used a touring plan but I'm sure they would be advantageous for folks who have limited time to visit the parks. The best simple advice I would give is get there early if possible, stay late if you can, plan out your Fastpasses, take breaks in the middle of the day, when parades fireworks are going on try a ride then. But most of all take advantage of the opportunities you see to get on an attraction when the line looks short even if it wasn't something you wanted to do at that moment. We're going back in mid-August for 7 nights so I'll be interested in comparing the crowd situation then.

Chances are it wouldn't have worked in our case because we were also visiting friends on our trip and b/c of their work schedule we had to do MK on EMH.

I think we may try Busch Gardens in Virginia next time..a little sloser to home.

We were there the same time as Tinkster (sp) and I'm in total agreement with him/her.
The lines were unbelievable. Epcot was the only park that wasn't crowded - if you didn't do the big ticket rides by 10 - the fast passes were for way later in the day or sold out.
I have 3 children from 3 to 14 and sometimes you just can't get up early. Everyone will be in a bad mood and that can squash a happy vacation pretty darn quick.
The combination of heat and crowds - well, I will never do Disney this time of year again.

Laura

I'm curious as to what Tour Guide Mike actually brings to the table. Almost everybody realizes that if you don't want to wait in line, you have to be there at rope drop, and it seems generally accepted that EMH is a complete waste of time during this time of year. What could he possibly have to say that is worth $20 - besides "use Fastpass and get up early?" I understand that they are detailed touring plans, but how can they really have a significant impact this time of year?

The part that is deceiving is that you don't have a comparison on how many rides you rode compared to other years. We have been to WDW 8 times in the past 10 years. I get the Unofficial Guide book almost every year. We are also very familiar with the parks and how to manuever them to get the most of our time. And yes, while we were there the begining of June, we rode everything we wanted to and most of what we wanted to more than once. And, we usually weren't spending more than 20 minutes in a line. But, when I compare this trip to other trips, we didn't do near as many rides and we spent more time outside of the parks than we normally do because of the crowds. We always get to the parks before opening and take an afternoon break and then go back to the parks in the evening. If we hadn't done Soarin' and Test Track at EPCOT first thing in the morning and used the Fast Pass, we would have had a 45 minute wait, at a minimum for either of these rides. Same for Splash Mountain and Space Mountain at MK and Tower of Terror and Rockin' Rollercoaster at Disney Studios.

That is where it is deceiving. Sure, I can tell people that I didn't wait for more than 20 minutes for anything we rode and it would be correct. But, I also know that in prior years, we could ride all of the big rides almost anytime of day without waits longer than 20 minutes, not just in the morning. We could also utilize Fast Pass to ride more rides. This year, we had to utilize Fast Pass just so that we could get to ride some of the rides just once. We left the parks in the afternoon and there were several days that we didn't even go back in the evening because of the crowds. We've never done that in the past.

I can see why someone on their first trip would be overwelmed even if they had done a ton of research and planning. The only reason we got to do as much as we did is because we are so familiar with the parks. I hope they do give it a second chance, but if I were them, I would wait until attendance drops again. Even as seasoned WDW travelers as we are, we probably won't go back until attendance drops again. We enjoyed our trip, but I don't feel we got our money's worth in enjoyment this year. Not when I compare them to prior trips.

We were there June 13-23rd and I think the majority of people must have been turned off by the pretty big (if not huge?) crowds right when EMH first started. We quickly learned (after our first mistake of leaving an hour early at AK's EMH and finding everyone ELSE was doing the same thing- never seen such a line for a bus in my LIFE) that it's best to stay until close... after the first few hours of EMH (into the last 1-2hrs of EMH) was the BEST. Apparently everyone got annoyed by the crowds and left... we had the best time EVER at each park the last 1-2hrs just running from rides to rides- especially at MK Fantasyland. :)

My advice, if you are like us and prefer evening EMH over mornings and like to sleep in -in the mornings... is to just wait it out. It gets better later and later into the EMH nights. :) And then if you are in line right at the last minute- you still get to ride it even if the line takes you 30min or whatever. Then you walk out and NO LINES for the bus even if you are staying at All-Star resorts. That was our experience. :)

Oh and btw- whoever said that going to the evening EMH park all day is probably going to be busy because of people with non-hopping tickets (namely probably from purchasing atleast 1 day ticket with their room just to get the dining plan? That's what we did! But the rest of our tickets were leftover hoppers) there ALL day. I would imagine that by the time you get to evening EMH if you have been at that park all day and it's busy because of EMH and people without parkhopping abilities... it's going to seem frustrating to you. You're already tired from being in a park that was crowded all day!
What we did was go to ANOTHER park -then go over to the evening EMH park shortly before it started. So maybe that's why the crowd didn't seem so huge to us- we hadn't been there at that park all day with a huge crowd. That and staying until it thinned out.... that's my suggestion and what we'll do again on our next trip. :)

jerbroni said:
I'm curious as to what Tour Guide Mike actually brings to the table. Almost everybody realizes that if you don't want to wait in line, you have to be there at rope drop, and it seems generally accepted that EMH is a complete waste of time during this time of year. What could he possibly have to say that is worth $20 - besides "use Fastpass and get up early?" I understand that they are detailed touring plans, but how can they really have a significant impact this time of year?

Good question jerbroni! I would like to hear also before I plunk down the money. Although, I did see he offered a money back guarantee, and there was a link to $3.00 some where on here.

I agree with Tinkssister. We have been there during peak times :earseek: Huge crowds, wall to wall people, but it can be done with no wait. My DH was also skeptical. He is a believer now! We used UG's touring plans during Spring Break, Easter and late June and we did not wait more than 10 mins for anything. Follow the tips in UG or TGM (we prefer UG) arrive 45mins early and avoid EMH. We are going back in Aug and I'm not at all worried about crowds. I'll have my touring plans in hand and I'll be up bright and early. :flower:

I think it has a lot to do with the Magic Express and the ticket.
I was going to rent a car but since I had Magic express and it only costed $3 to add 7th day on hoppers I did not causing us to pass on day at Universal. I scheduled a very late flight for return which allowed me one more day in the park.
If a number of people did what I did, those 2 things would add quite a bit to crowds.

I think in june you had Gay pride week this I bet was the cause of all the extra people. It is the first week in June I think or the second one.

Dan-tot

snowy76 said:
After 9/11 attendance was down and took a looong time to bounce back... now Disney is making a big push for more attendance with the tie-ins to DL's 50th... there is an advertising blitz all over the country... and you went over Memorial Day (BIG holiday weekend) as well as right when school let out for most kids.

We went at the end of last month, and every time we go, the crowds have gotten bigger. While EMH seems like it would keep crowds down... there is only one EMH park each day... factor in something like 6000 rooms on disney property (maybe even more, times the number of guests!) and in theory, you have everyone descending on the same park at the same time. So we avoided the EMH park on purpose, took full advantage of Fastpass during the day (as they do run out at night) and last week we did not wait more than 20 minutes for anything.

Please don't let your experience last month discourage you! Every time we go we learn a few more tricks and tips and this past time was our smoothest at the parks!

Actually there are over 28,000 rooms (All Stars alone have 5760) plus the campsites + Swan + Dolphin hotels and that all adds up to lots of Guests. :earseek:
I also think Disney should have EMH nights offered at 2 parks during the same night so the crowds are more manageable.
Linda ::MinnieMo
89 more days :banana:

For any future visitors to WDW in June, it is Hot, very hot and very humid. Please know that before you come. It always amazes me that people come to Central Florida in the summer, and go Man it was hot. Not sure what they expected.

It is also very crowded in the parks from Memorial Day to Labor Day. It is peak time for summer crowds especially the middle of June to the middle of August.

I agree why not have 2 parks open. It would definately make things more managable. I'm sure they are not losing to much money keeping them open, and it would increase the EMH value to a person deciding to stay at Disney or not. THE EMHs were a big factor in me going to a Disney hotel, but now I'm starting to think I may be better off saving the money.

CarolB said:
I was there the exact same time as you SIL, and with the exception of MK (which I think is always busy) we found the crowds to be good. EMH at MK was bad (I think it was Monday), so since it was only our second day, we just left and knew we would come back. However, at Epcot, MGM and Animal Kingdom, we barely used FP at all (soarin, TT, RnR)...even on the Sat of Star Wars weekend, the crowd seemed light.
However, it wasn't my first time and I didn't have little kids to worry about - my baby is 17 -
And boy was it hot....really needed that afternoon break at the resort this trip....
Hope she tries it again.
What atreat to read a positive slant!! We went last Augusut for the first time and the crowds were fine - we thought!! Apparently it was busy. So if our trip this July is like that, we'll be laughing! And if they're busier, we'll still be laughing ... because we'll be in WDW!! ::MinnieMo

20 days to POP!!!! :hourglass

shelby_36 said:
Tinkssister. I'm sorry but I find it hard to believe you were there the same time I was and walked on every ride! We had less than 15 minutes on a handful but there is no way you can walk on everyride ..esp if you were the same time I was.

We were there from June 4th to the 13th and had the exact same experience as Tinkssister. We followed TGM's advice to a tee and had a wonderful time, never waiting any longer than 10-15 minutes for the rides. We rode and saw everything we wanted to see. The crowds were insane :earseek: but the way we planned our days, we didn't wait in long lines for any rides OR counter service restaurants, and we avoided all the crowds on the resort buses. Whoever said it was like being in an alternate universe is right. There were thousands and thousands of hot, sweaty, grouchy people there waiting in lines that were hours long and we were so relaxed and happy.

Oh, and this was our first trip to WDW.

ksjayhawkfan said:
That is so weird because we thought it was awesome crowd wise and weather wise. It rained almost the whole week and it wasnt too hot. We did MK all day and night on June 9 and the longest wait we had all day was about 15 minutes.We got there at 9 and left about 2 and came back around 6 until close. We walked on Pirates and Big Thunder. We also went on the evening of June 11 and it was pretty good too. The posted wait time at Splash was 35 minutes but we were only in line for maybe 10 minutes. We only used fast pass one time and that was for Peter Pan.

That's how it was for us. For the most part, we had a lot of luck...BUT, we were heading out leaving the EMH on the night of the 8th, too! I haven't been since May 1997, but to me it seemed less crowded overall than when I went before. My DH kept asking me over and over again...you didn't ride that? Nope. I was there for 8 days before and probably didn't get half of what I got done this time around - and that was me in college with no kids so we were at the parks from the crack of dawn until late in the evenings! Maybe because it was before 9/11? Who knows?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter