What's The Deal With The Crowds In June??

AndyMcV

DIS Veteran
Hi Gang

We stayed at WDW from May 29th to June 9th. We have a DS5 and a DD1. We went to the MK 3 times during our stay. Every day was unbelievably busy. I remember my DS asking again and again... when are we going to go on some rides (spending most of our day waiting in line)?? We walked into Stiches Great Escape and the posted sign said 25 minute wait. Hmmm... not sure what that meant because we stood in line for an hour and 10 minutes. Not very magical. :sad2:

On our last night on the 8th we did the MK EMH and it was nuts (and I'm not exaggerating). We were in the park when it closed and it was very busy. I figured the crowds would die down. Then when the EMH started it seemed to get really busy. We didn't get on any rides except my DW took our DS on Astro Orbiter which took a 45 minute wait in line. All the other rides were easily an hour wait!! I remember walking from Astro Orbiter to Splash Mountain (as I heard that it should have been not so busy) and walking in a sea of people. It got so bad that I grabbed my son's hand just in fear that he'd get lost in the crowd. When we got there the posted wait time was 65 minutes. After that we just left and went back to our resort a bit deflated. We were hoping to go on a bunch of rides a few times. Isn't the idea of the EMH to be for resort only guests and thus a LOT less people??

I am also very aware of Fastpass but I figured we wouldn't have to use it for EMH. Unfortunately the return times for most rides were late, late, late.

I remember thinking they should have attendance caps for EMH given the crowd we experienced. Is this the norm for June? We went in June 2003 and it was not this bad at all.

Regards,
A.

We were there from June 10 to June 16, 2005. There were a lot more crowds than in past years. We have gone 8 times in the last 10 years and this year has been the most crowded, by far. The EMH at Magic Kingdom were very crowded and not as enjoyable as E-ticket nights in the past. Although, E-ticket nights were getting more crowded than when they first started too. We are hoping that a lot of it is due to the celebration and that next year, the crowds are back to normal.

After 9/11 attendance was down and took a looong time to bounce back... now Disney is making a big push for more attendance with the tie-ins to DL's 50th... there is an advertising blitz all over the country... and you went over Memorial Day (BIG holiday weekend) as well as right when school let out for most kids.

We went at the end of last month, and every time we go, the crowds have gotten bigger. While EMH seems like it would keep crowds down... there is only one EMH park each day... factor in something like 6000 rooms on disney property (maybe even more, times the number of guests!) and in theory, you have everyone descending on the same park at the same time. So we avoided the EMH park on purpose, took full advantage of Fastpass during the day (as they do run out at night) and last week we did not wait more than 20 minutes for anything.

Please don't let your experience last month discourage you! Every time we go we learn a few more tricks and tips and this past time was our smoothest at the parks!

Although the EMH are for a limited crowd, there are also fewer operating rides, so all those people are trying to get on the same rides. We were there during the same time and the lines were crazy. We were able to walk right on Pirates of the Carribean (never a line during EMH). There was literally no one in line, we had a boat to ourselves. However, the Astro Orbiter was another story. The sign said 25 minutes and it took over an hour. We figured if we waited for 1 more ride then EMH would be pretty much over and then we'd be waiting in line to get on the bus to head back to the resort... so we beat the crowd to the buses and skipped the rest of the EMH at MK.

We usually tried to avoid parks that had EMH scheduled and figured we would try MK evening EMH and were totally suprised by the lines. Avoiding the EMH parks was universally the best idea and worked out pretty good for us. We took advantage of using Fast Passes and were able to do pretty much everything we wanted.

The 50th Anniversary and special promotions have really upped the crowds this summer season. June was very crowded and I'm sure July is as well. But May crowds were higher too, so across the board the attendance rates seem to be off the charts.

I was there until the 11th & it was very crowded. I think a lot had to do with the rains. The weather was really bad. It wasn't our normal Fl rains, it was a rain that lastly nearly all day. Out of 13 days, I had 4 that were good. Therefore when the rains went away, everyone came out to play! It was the worst trip I ever had & I go often.

I think we were there for EMH the same night! It was really crowded. But I think you should know that Space mountain had some kind of mechanical failure late that night. My son and DH were stuck in line there. Also Astro Orbiter has the slllllllowest moving line - it took them over 45 minutes to get on!

On the other hand, younger DS and I got on the tea cups in record time. Also got to ride some other things quickly. Was a pretty hectic night and then on top of everything, Haunted Mansion got closed down due to mechanical difficulties - very disappointing! Still had a good time though.

Speaking of rain, because of the weather a cool front moved in that Friday. Went to AK and had the best time ever! It was overcast and pleasant most of the day. Got more done there than ever before. Go figure!

Attendance is up at all theme parks in Central Florida. Estimates are that they're up at least 12%. But I think with the 50th celebration and the new package deals that Disney is up much more than that. I also believe that we're seeing the effects of the non-hopping tickets and people going to one park for an entire day.

That is so weird because we thought it was awesome crowd wise and weather wise. It rained almost the whole week and it wasnt too hot. We did MK all day and night on June 9 and the longest wait we had all day was about 15 minutes.We got there at 9 and left about 2 and came back around 6 until close. We walked on Pirates and Big Thunder. We also went on the evening of June 11 and it was pretty good too. The posted wait time at Splash was 35 minutes but we were only in line for maybe 10 minutes. We only used fast pass one time and that was for Peter Pan.

As stated travel to Disney has really been off since 9/11 but is rebounding. Resorts are full and parks are packed and many are avoiding August due to last years hurricanes and going earlier in the summer.

Also as stated Disney doing a huge marketing promotion with the Celebration and packages. Business is good right now for them and crowds are up. :flower:

As to EMH you can't really cap it as it is open to all Disney resort guests and right now all the resorts are just really full.

I think it must be the 50th celebration and the post 9/11 travel rebound. My SIL just returned from her first WDW trip. She was there June 12-19 and was soooo disappointed. She said she would never go back. She had a melt down in MK on her first day there because she spent so much money to fight crowds and heat. I told her she has to give it another try in off season. She had planned for so long and her kids had waited for years for a Disney trip and it was nothing she had imagined. Her 4 year old didn't even get to ride Dumbo! :earseek:

To top it off the heat was unbearable she said so they never even stayed long enough to enjoy Wishes or Spectro. She missed out on all the magic. Hopefully she'll give it another shot, in a different month.

dvcgirl, that's a very good point about non-hopping tickets affecting the crowds in the parks!

Next time, if you will get to each park 30 minutes before it opens, have a "touring plan" (consider the Unofficial Guide or Tour Guide Mike) and use Fast Pass, you will have an entirely different experience.

We were in the parks from May 27-June 5 (four days at the Magic Kingdom). The longest we waited for a ride was 17 minutes, in the middle of the afternoon, on a non-Fast Pass attraction. We used Tour Guide Mike's suggestions, and it was like being in an alternate reality. Thousands of people all around us were waiting in long lines...and we just weren't!!!

If you don't want to invest money in the UG, or TGM, use these two tips next time:
1. Arrive before the park opens.
2. Always have a Fast Pass going.

Please give it another chance!

kizmac said:
I think it must be the 50th celebration and the post 9/11 travel rebound. My SIL just returned from her first WDW trip. She was there June 12-19 and was soooo disappointed. She said she would never go back. She had a melt down in MK on her first day there because she spent so much money to fight crowds and heat. I told her she has to give it another try in off season. She had planned for so long and her kids had waited for years for a Disney trip and it was nothing she had imagined. Her 4 year old didn't even get to ride Dumbo! :earseek:

To top it off the heat was unbearable she said so they never even stayed long enough to enjoy Wishes or Spectro. She missed out on all the magic. Hopefully she'll give it another shot, in a different month.

I was there the exact same time as you SIL, and with the exception of MK (which I think is always busy) we found the crowds to be good. EMH at MK was bad (I think it was Monday), so since it was only our second day, we just left and knew we would come back. However, at Epcot, MGM and Animal Kingdom, we barely used FP at all (soarin, TT, RnR)...even on the Sat of Star Wars weekend, the crowd seemed light.
However, it wasn't my first time and I didn't have little kids to worry about - my baby is 17 -
And boy was it hot....really needed that afternoon break at the resort this trip....
Hope she tries it again.

We were there from June 18-26 and found it to be pretty busy. I've been in late August, late Oct, Thanksgiving and mid-Dec and this trip was crowded! Thanksgiving week-end was bad but at least it wasn't hot/humid then. We've been many times so didn't feel the need to 'do it all'. We could pick and choose what things we wanted to see/do. There were some days, especially in MK, that by 10:30 we had had it and just left. If it was sunny, it was just too darn hot and there were too many people jostling each other. After about 3 days in the parks, I tend to lose my Disney magic when it comes to getting walked into, shoved and pushed around by people who are in a huge rush to get someplace or getting behind those families that insist on walking 4 or 5 abreast at a nice leisurely pace right down the center of the path. So, when the magic starts to leave, I leave the parks. Spend some time at the pool or whatever.

I really think that with 9/11 being a 'distant memory' now, more are traveling. The resorts seemed to be really full. Now, they've added the 50th birthday party to the mix and stopped E-Nights and added EMH at night. But, if you know what you're doing and you take some time to plan ahead, you should be able to get the things done that you want to do. Will I go in June again? Nope.....think I'll stick to late August and take my chances with the hurricanes. Charley didn't hamper my visit last August too much!

Kizmac- We were there on the 18th of June and the crowds were horrible. Anything worth going on had 50 minute plus wait time with 3 hour fastpass. We too said never again. lots of people have suggested to me that we should have gotten a touring plan, researched more, etc. heck- Its an amusement park what happened to just enjoying your day..I guess thats my age speaking..if I'm going on vacation it should be that not more work.

I was there from June 17 until June 22 and my experience was the same as Missypie's. We had a wonderful time, rode all the rides with zero wait time, rode most of the thrillers twice, managed to relax and see all the nightime fireworks and shows, DH even got me to Pleasure Island for an evening with no kids.

For anyone going during the busy, crowded, hot months, I highly recommend Tourguide Mike. This was my family's first trip and it would not have worked out as well if we were not using Mike's plans.

CarolB said:
I was there the exact same time as you SIL, and with the exception of MK (which I think is always busy) we found the crowds to be good. EMH at MK was bad (I think it was Monday), so since it was only our second day, we just left and knew we would come back. However, at Epcot, MGM and Animal Kingdom, we barely used FP at all (soarin, TT, RnR)...even on the Sat of Star Wars weekend, the crowd seemed light.
However, it wasn't my first time and I didn't have little kids to worry about - my baby is 17 -
And boy was it hot....really needed that afternoon break at the resort this trip....
Hope she tries it again.

She was at MK on Monday so if that was EMH then that explains her dispair...added to the fact if was her very first day in Disney it was probably just overwhelming. She did Tour Guide Mike before she left, but it must of all went out the window once she got there. I also don't think they are theme park people and don't really get our love of Disney. They would rather kick back at the rental house.

shelby_36 said:
Kizmac- We were there on the 18th of June and the crowds were horrible. Anything worth going on had 50 minute plus wait time with 3 hour fastpass. We too said never again. lots of people have suggested to me that we should have gotten a touring plan, researched more, etc. heck- Its an amusement park what happened to just enjoying your day..I guess thats my age speaking..if I'm going on vacation it should be that not more work.

Shelby_36, I'm so sorry to hear you had the same experience as my SIL. Believe me, she did TGMike and it didn't help much. She said she would use it again though because now that she has seen the parks and knows more what he is talkin about it would be easier. She was was very disillusioned. She thought the parks were really close together and you could just trot on over to another park in an instant. Paid for hoppers and didn't hop once so she was mad she wasted money on that. She obviously needed to talk to me more before her trip. I tried to get her to read these boards, but she is not a board person. I just feel the info on here is priceless!

Anyhow, do give it another chance in off season! You will enjoy it so much more, I promise!

Tinkssister. I'm sorry but I find it hard to believe you were there the same time I was and walked on every ride! We had less than 15 minutes on a handful but there is no way you can walk on everyride ..esp if you were the same time I was.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter