• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

What's the deal with parents letting their kids run amok??

Another reason I think people and businesses don't speak up more is because of how people react.

How many posts have we seen from people whose kids were called out by another adult. Its never your child should have been behaving, its always about the mean person who had the nerve to say something.

I very rarely say anything, but it always seems like when I do, I am the bad guy. I should have ducked when the kid threw the BASKETBALL in the hotel pool and it hit me in the face according to his mother. I should have walked around the child laying on the stairs at the theater instead of asking him to move so I didn't trip over him. Who cares that I was walking with a cane and needed the handrail.

I really think the parents whose kids are the worst are the most clueless.

You make excellent points. I can recall many many threads about the 'mean old lady' who told a kid to be quiet, or the person who wouldn't talk to the kid who was just trying to be friendly, or the clerk in the store who asked that a kid not play with the balls. Imagine being a restaurant manager in this tough economy. You would love to tell parents to control the kids, but you might get told off or they might never come back. And if you do nothing, you might alienate the customer who is annoyed by the out of control kids.

It's typical "add alcohol" parenting. Some people just think that once it's party time, the kids will be magically watched by other people and ignore the fact the little brats are in the way and screaming around unsupervised.

Doesn't even take alcohol. Some are just born rude and it trickles down to their brats.

Here is one of these posts

http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2332855&highlight=mean+old+woman

Me and DS went shopping today and went to McD's for lunch. We sit down and an old lady sits next to us. We're eating and I notice he gave the lady's handbag a flick with his finger. I told him how its rude to touch people's things. I know he's expecting this old lady to smile at him or something.HE then taps on the bench next to his leg. The lady says to him rather meanly can you stop that it's annoying. Now my DS asks her what her name is. She tells him it's none of your business. Poor DS looked so shocked. I was thinking not so nice things but didn't say anything. After he finished I took him to the pet store where the poor barking puppies took his mind off the rudeness.

And here is one of the replies

I love it when kids are friendly like that.... but not everyone does. She just wasn't a friendly person. I'm sure she was expecting a quiet peaceful meal... UM SHE WAS AT MCDONALDS! LOL

She was an unfriendly old hag, nothing you can do about it.

Anyone who dares to not like it when someone's adorable little brat is misbehaving is being an old hag.

I do understand what you're saying though... well-behaved children have loving, attentive parents that take an active role in their lives. That doesn't mean though that the parents have to be home with them full-time.

Thank you.

My kids have either been home with me or DH for the most part, but they have been in daycare/preschool programs since they were very young because I work. My kids do not run amok. Ever. I'm known as the strict parent in our circle, but then people compliment me on how well behaved my kids are. :) Of course they have their moments, but we deal with it strictly and quickly.

I just hate when my kids are lumped in with kids who get whatever they want, or get by with misbehavior because I work. For me, I'm a better parent because I work because I enjoy the adult conversations, the responsibility etc. I work at a church, so you know I'm not in it for the money :lol:

I really dont think this has anything to do with working vs nonworking parents.

I have seen tons of kids from both camps who are well behaved and one who are complete hellions.

I will say that I think some kids act out and do all these things because they do crave the attention of their parents...even negative attention.

When you have kids nothing is better then letting them run amok, wears them out and they have so much fun. There should be safe places to let your kids run amok

Yes,at your house.
;)

Ugh... I hate it. I have good kids.. Its not just me talking, I get it all the time.. I am super strict. and then I had twins. andnow I have two year old twins. O.M.G. They are horrid, horrid little beasts. We dont eat out.. I dont even like taking them out of the house.
We were at walmart, and I was grocery shopping with the twins with me, and my husband had the older kids in the toy section.. Why didnt he have the twins you ask? Because they dont like him. They dont like anyone but me. Both of them.. all the time. I am all they want. So I think.. No problem, I got this. We hit the produce section, I start getting some bananas and I hear from behind me.. BALL!!! BALL-BALL mommy!! ANd what do I see flying past me?? A tomato. :scared1: Then the little beast went running past me and grabbed for cabbage saying... BALL!! NO. NOT BALL. FOOD.

So if you happened to be at my walmart the other day.. I do apologize. I had temporarily lost my mind and thought the little beasts could be out in public again. I was WRONG. So if you saw one torn up lookin mama with a screaming toddler under each arm stalking through walmart looking for someone.. It was me. Next time I go shopping Ill bring the duct tape.

But seriously. I am working on it.. But for now.. we eat at home. I shop alone, or with my older kids.. and the twins only get out when we go to the park. Or Grandmas house.. and even she is glad to see us go!

DING! DING! DING! We have a winner!!!!! This is hilarious!!!!!

And FTR, as a PP said, you took the kids and left when they started acting up, and I am going to assume gave them a good talking to as well. You didn't continue to let them throw food around, all the while standing there smiling inanely at "how cute" they were. Had I been at WalMart that day, I'd have applauded you!

Here is one of these posts

http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2332855&highlight=mean+old+woman

Me and DS went shopping today and went to McD's for lunch. We sit down and an old lady sits next to us. We're eating and I notice he gave the lady's handbag a flick with his finger. I told him how its rude to touch people's things. I know he's expecting this old lady to smile at him or something.HE then taps on the bench next to his leg. The lady says to him rather meanly can you stop that it's annoying. Now my DS asks her what her name is. She tells him it's none of your business. Poor DS looked so shocked. I was thinking not so nice things but didn't say anything. After he finished I took him to the pet store where the poor barking puppies took his mind off the rudeness.

And here is one of the replies

I love it when kids are friendly like that.... but not everyone does. She just wasn't a friendly person. I'm sure she was expecting a quiet peaceful meal... UM SHE WAS AT MCDONALDS! LOL

She was an unfriendly old hag, nothing you can do about it.

Anyone who dares to not like it when someone's adorable little brat is misbehaving is being an old hag.

That was one of the ones I was thinking of!

In our neighborhood they run amok from sun up to past sun down. I have had my doorbell rang at least once a week by a parent or sibling looking for a kid who had reportedly "headed for" our house. Erm... ok, well they aren't here.

Maybe I have a different mentality or I watch too much news, but I can't just simply shove my kids outside and then send for them at 8 pm. (Like when I was a child). The world may not be anymore dangerous, but it sure feels like it.

Ohhh, yeah.... about 'summer'... sun-up to sun-down.

The VERY first day that school was out, on a dark, rainy, morning, when I least expected it, when I happened to be in very bad shape, was just attempting to get dressed and go out and find a Dr. that could see me... I walk by my foyer, at 8:30 a.m. and right there with his face in my doorway is my son's buddy from up around the corner...

Now, he is a good kid... my son and he are close... But, just to be honest, this kid (let's call him Johnny) is like a five year old in a six foot teen body.... And, I am just NOT prepared or able, in any way, to deal with Johnny 24/7..... I had to tell my husband and my son that it was just not gonna be "ALL Johnny, ALL the time...." I cannot endure a Johnny marathon all summer long. Knowing how I am not well, when my husband got home that evening, my husband was actually a bit rude and stated to this kid that the rule around here for the summer is that nobody comes over before noon... :rotfl2::rotfl2::rotfl2::rotfl2:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter