• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

What's the biggest upgrade you have gotten?

Love your moniker and I don't even know what it means...!:sunny:
Evil Dr. Porkchop? Toy Story! haha
latest

It seems like lately they have been filling the ships at the end with florida, military and interline rates.

That's what I've been seeing too. It would be a darn lucky day to upgrade at the port. Always worth a try.

I am hoping to upgrade to a royal at port. Since there is only one available I know it's a long shot. Would love to hear more about your experience sarahandgreg

I am hoping to upgrade to a royal at port. Since there is only one available I know it's a long shot. Would love to hear more about your experience sarahandgreg
Haven't done it myself but I have read that you have to be one of the first people at the port.

I would be willing to pay something for the upgrade. One would think that DCL would take less than full price or too close to it as they had the potential to leave port with no one in the room.

They do... at the port. If they offered discounted upgrades ahead of time, then they risk devaluing the perceived value of the higher categories and less people would be willing to pay the asking price. So I totally understand why they do it the way they do.

Here's another thing that I believe happens sometimes with GTY rooms. Let's say that for a particular sailing, they have all inside and ocean view rooms sold out, but lots of verandah rooms open. In addition to offering verandah GTY rates, they may also offer ocean view and inside room GTY rates, under the thought that there won't be enough people willing to pay for verandah to fill them up, or more specifically that they'd get more money by selling 80% at verandah GTY rates and 20% at inside GTY rates, than if they lowered the verandah GTY rate to a point where they'd sell all of them. Then, they just surprise the inside GTY's with an upgrade to verandah and (hopefully) everyone is happy.

on 4 cruises upgraded twice....cant remember all the details but remember going from a small porthole to a large one...

second time not sure if you call it an upgrade but, they moved us to a disabled person room... those rooms are huge and the bathrooms are setup completely different...

They do... at the port. If they offered discounted upgrades ahead of time, then they risk devaluing the perceived value of the higher categories and less people would be willing to pay the asking price. So I totally understand why they do it the way they do.

Yeah thats what I was thinking too. I wouldn't expect them to actually discount anything until the absolute last minute. I know that there are always times when upgrade happens - hotels, rental cars, etc. - just want to have the knowledge to leverage myself into being able to work into one at port. Its always a crap shoot really - we really want to sail during very specific events like Merrytime and the Panama Canal - so those times would be out of the question.

I wonder if longer cruises would have a greater opportunity for a port upgrade than their shorter counterparts.

Thoughts?

Here's another thing that I believe happens sometimes with GTY rooms. Let's say that for a particular sailing, they have all inside and ocean view rooms sold out, but lots of verandah rooms open. In addition to offering verandah GTY rates, they may also offer ocean view and inside room GTY rates, under the thought that there won't be enough people willing to pay for verandah to fill them up, or more specifically that they'd get more money by selling 80% at verandah GTY rates and 20% at inside GTY rates, than if they lowered the verandah GTY rate to a point where they'd sell all of them. Then, they just surprise the inside GTY's with an upgrade to verandah and (hopefully) everyone is happy.

On my upcoming sailing, it was the same thing. There were no Oceanview rooms left that you could book (other than GTY), but there were some verandahs. I figured if I booked an Oceanview GTY, I would have a good chance of actually getting a verandah. nope. I got a 9C Oceanview, exactly what I paid for. Somehow they found a room.

We have been on 5 cruises on all the ships during low times and the ships have always had the no upgrades avaliable sign up. We cruise in Oct and maybe this will be the time!

We have been on 5 cruises on all the ships during low times and the ships have always had the no upgrades avaliable sign up. We cruise in Oct and maybe this will be the time!

Where would one look for that NO UPGRADES AVAILABLE sign?

Where would one look for that NO UPGRADES AVAILABLE sign?

It's generally right up there on the counter where you check in. If it's not on that exact one, it would be on the supervisor's desk (though the CM checking you in will probably know before you even go down there if they have any available when you ask). And once on board it's on the Guest Services desk - at the far right if not in another place or two.

We often upgrade 480 days out. :p

Some of the best fundamental advice ever learned from these boards.
Always book a cabin you will be satisfied with initially.

Peace of mind, and a Visa Moment, a year out.

Priceless :charac2:

JMO

ETA; PSA; The second best advice garnered here. Sail while the kids are young. They grow fast.
And prices only grow up too.

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter