Whats the best time for little one's first Disney visit?

I can only say that I was glad I waited til my kids were 4 years old. I didn't want to deal with diapers or bed wetting on vacation. My boys were fine to go without a nap, so no cranky meltdowns. I also think parents need to remember that the little ones do not handle the heat like we do. Those little ones don't even have functioning sweat glands!

There was a previous post last week about taking twin newborns in August. Really? Who's going to have a good time? You can't put sunscreen on newborns and how often are they going to need to eat? And let's not even mention the hours of screaming that newborns do all night every night.

That's just my 2 cents. Isn't it nice that we live in a country where we can make our own choices??:)

Kerri

I always find it strange when people say you shouldn't take your child to WDW when they're "X" years old because they won't remember it. It's still an experience that they and you will most likely be enjoying no matter who remembers it. I have a few friends and a husband who have both said this, so no flames please. It's just an observation and I think it's weird.

I agree. Heck, we took our daughters to the Smithsonian Natural History Museum and the National Zoo yesterday. Our youngest had a blast at both places and she's not quite 2.5. She won't remember it, but we will!

We took our oldest days before her third birthday. She had a wonderful time and was, "go go go" the whole 10 days. We were exhausted by the end of the trip. Our middle dd was 6 months on her first trip. She had a great time looking at the lights and listening to the music. Again, we remember it. She gets a kick out of looking at the pictures! Same child went again at 14 months (difficult due to her wanting to be out of the stroller) and at 3. She was positively beastly on that trip! We're taking the youngest on her first trip shortly before her third birthday. We're hoping she'll be more like her oldest sister! The problem with waiting for the perfect time is the complete lack thereof. The other problem is if you have older children. If we waited to take the youngest until 5 or 6, the older two would be 12 or 13, and 7 or 8, respectively. I don't want my oldest dd waiting until she's a teenager to go to WDW! We're a family and we'll slow down when one of us needs a break, but we're certainly not going to plan everything around one member for any reason. JMHO.

We took my daughter last year and she was just shy of 3. I have to say she enjoyed the MK and the Resort pool, but not much else. The highlight of her trip however was pushing the buttons on the elevator. $7000.00 later, I'M STILL LAUGHING ABOUT IT!!!!!!!!!

I brought my dd when she was 7 months old. We were only there for a weekend, and stayed with a good friend of mine. We went to MVMCP the first night, and then did a commando day of EPCOT and MK the next day. She was happy go lucky for the most of the day. Being said, we went at the end of November, crowds were low, and the weather was perfect. I don't think I would bring a baby in the heat of summer, but that is just me. We went agian last year when dd had just turned 2. She had a blast. We are going agian, and she just turned 3. She is so excited! Being said, if I only planned on taking my kids to Disney once, or twice in thier childhood, I would take them about 5 or 6. They are tall enough to ride the rides, but young enough that they still beleive that when they meet Cinderella, she is the really Cinderella.

We took our son for the first time when he was about 18 months, then our daughter when she was about 14 months. Both times were great! We knew how to read when they were getting tired, and to avoid the proverbial meltdown, we just packed up and went back to the room. Had a blast both trips! :goodvibes

exactly. My DD5 has been to Disney since she was 1. Planning is the key. At 5 she knows her way around every park and loves going every 3 months.

My DD is 5 and is going for her 8th trip to WDW in 2 weeks. It never mattered to us if she remembered it. What mattered was the smile in her eyes and the MANY memories made during our vacations. She went crazy over the ducks in EPCOT and the lights along Main street when she was young. Now it's all about the Yeti ride, Coke slushies and talking to a real princess!

'Our first trip DS 1 .was just 3. Was this the best time to take him? Well from a " FOR the Parents memory" is was. All the magic was real to him. The characters were real, not pple. in costumes. DS introduced his younger cousin to pooh and tigger at the 1900's char. bk . Yes, " Anna this is pooh, pooh this is my Anna" . I will never forget it. and the look on his face when he meet pooh for the first time was amazing. He even cozied up with Cinderella. It was fantastic for us the parents but DS remembers nothing. DS 2 first trip he was 5. Being a second child the innocence was leaving him earlier about all things. The true magic was not there. Did he have a fantastic time? Yes Did he remember much no. The next time they were 6 and 10 again had a good time. Love the theming, the rides but The only thing they both believed in was the spirit of Disney and Santa.

So a very long reply later. Is the trip for the parents to remember the joy and magic of their child's first experience at Disney or is it the best age for the child to remember their experience?

We will see how the experience is at 12 and 8 yrs of age this year. They were given the choice universal or Disney or both (even showed them all the universal rides on u-tube and harry potter stuff). They chose WDW hands down. We have wonderful family time there is something fro everyone and everyone is HAPPY. No matter what age!!!!

We just returned from our trip with DS who is 5 1/2 & our DD who is just about 18 months. It was very hard! But I would do it all over again, just maybe a little different this time. Like others have said, I think it depends on the children. Had it have been reversed & my DS was 18 months, things would have been much easier (he was a much more mellow toddler) but DD wanted no part of anything the whole trip. She was terrified of all characters, wouldn't eat, hardly napped & pretty much had a tantrum at every meal (also on the plane, monorail, buses & waiting for any sort of ride!!) She was just over tired & had an ear infection, so that doesn't really equal magic! I just hope I can convince DH to go back again. I kept trying to tell him that it was just DD, not Disney!
Nicole

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter