What's the best packing advice you have for a long cruise?

I can totally identify with the shoe problem because there will be so many different situations that require different shoes. Formal night, semi-formal night, walking shoes for sightseeing/excusions, shoes to wear to the pool/beach, shoes that go with different outfits for dinner....ugh.....now I need advice on finding just 2 pairs of shoes that will be for all of these situations! :scared:

I usually bring a pair of black heels, a pair of black flats, a pair of sandals and a pair of sneakers. One of these I am wearing when I board so I only have to pack 3 pair. Sure, other shoes might look better with an outfit than the black ones, but black goes with everything so that's what I bring.

Oh, and the shoe thing...I have never found a way to bring less than 4 pair. Even for the kids. For me, I need flip flops, strappy dress shoes (I usually bring a black pair that can be dressed up or down), my running shoes, and my comfy walking sandals (Keens, love em). The kids usually bring sandals, crocs, a pair of "dress" shoes for dinner, and their sneakers. Then DH brings running shoes, beach shoes (usually crocs), sandals, and dress shoes.

This just seems to be the absolute minimum, unfortunately. 16 pair for all of us. :confused3 Heck, it is hard enough for me to not bring my 3 fave pair of flip flops, sandals that match each outfit, etc etc...:)

I wouldn't worry about it too much, just try to bring "light" shoes if you can. Shoes can add weight to your bag real quick, and with the tight weight limits on the luggage these days, you gotta watch that you don't go over. But flip flops are very light!! ;)

Chronic over packer here , but I find black, black and more black works especially fot the bottom half of my dinner outfits.Black capris and a black skirt with an assortment of coloured tops that will go with both also count on doing laundry at least once.

I am really worried about the shoe issue - especially as I have 2 teenage girls.
I can see us needing lots of shoes: trainers for exercising, beach shoes, sandals for walking about on ship, evening shoes, formal evening strappy sandals, pirate boots for the pirate costumes. The men / boys should be easier: formal shoes, trainers, sandals/ deck shoes, beach shoes and for pirate night they are faking it with boot covers over formal shoes. We will need one suitcase just for shoes!
I just don't see how this two pairs of shoes to fit all occasions can work on a cruise!

Shoes are the killer for ANY trip I pack for, even if we wear the tennis shoes down, his dress shoes and our water shoes always put our bag over 50 lbs. Since we both can take a carry on and I use a small backpack for my purse, I usually put the shoes, meds, and anything that seems heavy and not containing liquids over 3 oz in one of the carry ons to help eleviate the weight overage problem. We can always put a change of cloths or each and other items in the second carry on, other documents, a book, small pocketbook etc in the back pack. Has worked for us for the last two trips.

Oh, and the shoe thing...I have never found a way to bring less than 4 pair. Even for the kids. For me, I need flip flops, strappy dress shoes (I usually bring a black pair that can be dressed up or down), my running shoes, and my comfy walking sandals (Keens, love em). The kids usually bring sandals, crocs, a pair of "dress" shoes for dinner, and their sneakers. Then DH brings running shoes, beach shoes (usually crocs), sandals, and dress shoes.

This just seems to be the absolute minimum, unfortunately. 16 pair for all of us. :confused3 Heck, it is hard enough for me to not bring my 3 fave pair of flip flops, sandals that match each outfit, etc etc...:)

I wouldn't worry about it too much, just try to bring "light" shoes if you can. Shoes can add weight to your bag real quick, and with the tight weight limits on the luggage these days, you gotta watch that you don't go over. But flip flops are very light!! ;)

That is exactly what our family brings in terms of shoes. We always wear our sneakers on the plane since they are usually our heaviest shoes. I also have to add in my love of Keens too. Each of my DDs have a pair in a fun color that goes well with sundresses, skorts, shorts and capris. They can also be worn as beach shoes since they are water proof. I wear Keen Mary Janes and clogs in the winter and Keen slip ons in the summer.

For our 14 night T/A cruise last August, I packed with the intention of doing laundry during the cruise. I also packed alot of basics that could be mixed and matched and worn more than once. DD and I ended up with 2 large and 1 medium suitcase between us. Since we were flying Lufthansa the weight limit was 47lbs (IIRC), it was less than the 50lbs US airlines allow. We aalso each carried on a backpack and I had a medium sized purse.

On our cruise last month, a few days into the cruise, DH asked me - have you seen my blue and black dress pants - I think I may have forgotten to pack them.....

He learned, the hard way, that you can get by with two pairs of khakis and 1 pair of suit pants - and guess what, no one came up to him and said - "aren't those the same pants you wore 3 days ago?".

We used DCL laundry service for 2 pairs of pants and he is now a firm believer in bringing just a few pair of pants.

I also learned that the clothes you wear for 2 hours to dinner and the show can be repeats a few days later, or even the next morning, for day wear - especially the shirts...

Mix and match, and don't pack anything that you aren't certain when and where you are packing it for...

Okay, I am home again. We did the transatlantic (plus 4 days in Barcelona) with one suitcase each (on the large size, but still queeked by even the European flight restrictions) plus one garmet bag wich had all of our formals in it (yes we took tuxes for DH and DS, two gowns for me and also for DD and even several sports jackets for DS. We LIKE to dress.) This for a family which insists on dressing for dinner every night:rotfl: It can be done.

Shoes: We usually have 3-4 pair for a long trip. For us girls: nicer leather flip flops that work well with dressier dresses but can also be worn with shorts, sports style sandals (something very comfortable to wear walking, on the beach, to the pool, etc.), tennis shoes (these are the bulkiest so we wear them on the planes) and MAYBE a pair of strappy heels. The boys take sports sandals, tennis shoes and one pair of dressy shoes. (We pack DH's size 13 dressy shoes full of socks and then put them upside down (in plastic bags) above the "shoulders" of the items in the garmnet bag (filling those corners out all the way). Other shoes get crammed in wherever there is space. Pairs do not need to be packed together nor even in the same bag :-) Also, if you cannot squish a shoe flat it should be filled with socks, ties, something.

Pants: men and boys can usually wear the same pants 2-3 times for the evening before they need laundered. 3 pair is plenty (and one can be worn on the flight). Bring a Tide pen for spot cleaning.

Dress shirts: Again, men and boys can probably wear these twice in the evening between washings. If you have a dressier group, changing the ties can make the look change dramatically without using much of your packing space. Or wear short sleave button downs (even Hawaiian shirts to Parrot Cay) and hten wear them again durign the day later on.

Girls: We tend to wear sundresses and tank tops with capris. Everything is pretty small and light weight and you can fit A LOT in a suitcase.

Tolietries: We don't bring much. A brush, toothbrushes and paste, saline solution and spare contacts/glasses, sunscreen, etc. . But NO SHAMPOO, SOAP, etc. We use what DCL provides. I also pare down my make-up bag to the minimum. Also, no hair dryer (okay, I don't even own one--my hair is so long and thick it takes for ever to dry it so I never bother:rotfl: )

Jackets: One cardigan or sweater for us girls which will go allright with everything. Boys tend to wear a sports jacket if they are chilly (generally only in the evening anyway when a jacket looks appropritae)

Pirate Clothes: We just insist on making those fit:lmao: Yes, even the foam swords.

Jewlry does not need it's own bulky case or bag. Put individual peices in various pockets and pack as normal. Do not take anythign valuable obviously.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter