What's the best packing advice you have for a long cruise?

sandgrace

DIS Veteran
We're going on the WB Repo 15 day cruise in May, and this is by far the longest trip that we've ever taken. We just found out that US Airways is charging $25 for taking an extra suitcase per person so I need to find a way to consolidate 16 days worth of clothes into only 3 suitcases for 3 people! I need all of the packing and organizing help that I can get. All help is much appreciated!:goodvibes

We did hte 14 day Transatlantic last May so I have a bit to offer here. One is bring a roll of quarters and plan on doign laundry once. It really wasn't as much hassle as I expected it to be.
Also, limit yourself to one or two pairs of shoes each that will coordinate with just about everything.
We had the kids wear clothes for dinner one night and then the slightly messy clothes could be reused for daytime another day.
I am heading out the door now but will try to think of a few more tips and post them later.

We're going on the WB Repo 15 day cruise in May, and this is by far the longest trip that we've ever taken. We just found out that US Airways is charging $25 for taking an extra suitcase per person so I need to find a way to consolidate 16 days worth of clothes into only 3 suitcases for 3 people! I need all of the packing and organizing help that I can get. All help is much appreciated!:goodvibes

Don't overpack! The 5 of us just went on a 7 day DCL cruise and also spent 5 days at WDW. We had 2 bags a person plus personal items, and that was WAY too much stuff! Utilize the on-board laundry. We did, as well a used the in-room washer/dryer in our DVC resort. Even with 1 formal night, 1 semi-formal night, 1 pirate night, 1 night at Palo, plus all the shore excursions and bathing suits we still had some clothes that we didn't even use.

Also, limit yourself to one or two pairs of shoes each that will coordinate with just about everything.

Could you please try to convince DD15 that this is a good idea. ;) Seriously, she has this "shoe thing" that I've never had. On our December back-to-backs I think she has 10 pair of shoes! For our upcoming Panama Canal cruise she is going to be limited to 5 pair...it won't be pretty! :lmao:

We also do laundry on long cruises. I'd rather do that than pack too much. My advice would be to pack what you think you need and then take out 1/3-1/2 of it. We had so many clothes that we never wore. This time it's one large suitcase per person - plus an extra one for formal/Pirate Night clothes - and that's it!

I agree with packing things up and taking out half. Even when I do that I end up bringing things I don't wear. How does that happen? :confused: LOL

We've been on several 2 week trips, and I always do laundry. Usually just a few loads is all I need to do...colors, darks, whites. That will get us through the second week. And it isn't a pain at all, especially on the cruise ship. Do it early in the AM or late at night, there will be less people down there doing the same.

The cruise is really very casual, and it is so easy to mix and match. A couple pair of shorts, capris and a skirt can get you through easily. I also have a couple of dresses that are jersey and pack well...they take up very little space and do not wrinkle...and they can be dressed up or down. The kids are easy, they wear many things 2 or 3 times, like PJs, dinner clothes, etc. Shoes are the hardest thing for us. It seems like we have never been able to bring less than 4 pair per person. I try to bring shoes that are small and pack easily, and the kids shoes are still small. It is my DH's size 13s that take up all the room. LOL

I'm curious...when did US Airways start to charge for checking a second bag? We flew with them last week and checked 2 bags pp and we weren't charged. I didn't know about this. I'll have to be sure to check next time we fly. That is ridiculous.

Packing up for your trip is much easier (and happier) than packing to leave. I always hate that task. :sad2:

I was on the 14 night Eastbound cruise in 2005, and also travel from Europe so have the luggage issue 'double' with transatlantic flights.

You have to be economical with what you take, plan in advance, often people take too many things.

Now the laundry's are very busy indeed, cruisers think with so many sea days it will be less of a problem, but as it is a long cruise, everyone thinks the same, cut the luggage and wash on ship, 2/3 times during the cruise.

All laundries were busy on Panama crossing day! we went to all at 6.30am, all full, people said it had been full all night?. Everyone thinks Panama day, all will be watching the transit, but actually lots of people were washing their smalls.

I would suggest keeping an eye on laundries, maybe port days if you get back early, this was successful for us in the Med on an 11 night cruise. We came back from Rome quicker than expected and was able to walk straight into the laundry and it was empty.

If staying anywhere before the cruise, IE Disneyland wash there on last night.

Use tux hire formal wear hire to help that cuts down on your luggage.

My DH and I were just talking about this last night, we're thinking about a 21 day trip to Italy and it occured to me that I would go nuts trying to pack for that! One of the tips you hear often is to pack your old underwear and then just throw it out leaving you extra room for souvineirs. Well is it just me or would that leave you a whole extra inch of space?:rotfl2: Just how big is your underwear? Now my DHs would leave a little more but not much! I'm sorry I just find that tip highly amusing.

Could you please try to convince DD15 that this is a good idea. ;) Seriously, she has this "shoe thing" that I've never had. On our December back-to-backs I think she has 10 pair of shoes! For our upcoming Panama Canal cruise she is going to be limited to 5 pair...it won't be pretty! :lmao:

Why is that - I have one of those too. I buy shoes I need and take as little as possible. DD13 has a "shoe thing" too. I tell my mom it is her fault because my mom has more shoes then she could ever possibly wear :rotfl:

I'm curious...when did US Airways start to charge for checking a second bag? We flew with them last week and checked 2 bags pp and we weren't charged. I didn't know about this. I'll have to be sure to check next time we fly. That is ridiculous.

The $25 fee for the second bag goes into effect May 5 for tickets purchased on or after Feb. 26. United was the first to institute the charge, announced at the beginning of February, and US Airways followed at the end of February. ITA that it's ridiculous.

My DH and I were just talking about this last night, we're thinking about a 21 day trip to Italy and it occured to me that I would go nuts trying to pack for that! One of the tips you hear often is to pack your old underwear and then just throw it out leaving you extra room for souvineirs. Well is it just me or would that leave you a whole extra inch of space?:rotfl2: Just how big is your underwear? Now my DHs would leave a little more but not much! I'm sorry I just find that tip highly amusing.

You will find laundromats in all large cities in Italy. The only problem you will have is if you are in a small town some where. We had no problems washing in Rome and Venice. We had the option to stay and do the wash ourselves or they have attendents that will do it for you for a couple of extra euros. There was also internet service at the ones we went to and I checked my email while the clothes were washing

Sicily was a different story as they only had cleaners not laundromats in one small town we visited and we wouldn't have gotten the clothes back in time. We did wash when we got to my relatives house in another part of Sicily so that was great and very easy. We packed for a 7 day vacation, becuase I always overpack anyway on those and then did wash every 6 days. Worked great

I am not one to wear ratty undies on vacation! I buy all new!!

I can't grasp the concept of lite packing and only having a couple pairs of shorts/capris/shoes getting me through!

Don't forget you can get DCL to do your laundry also...well worth the money! And if it is something that is not "really" dirty, you can just send it out to be pressed.

Anytime we have done laundry ourselves on the ship, either myself or DH will get up in the middle of the night (I don't set the alarm, just go on one of my "bathroom trips"), pull on some shorts and a tshirt, and run down to the laundry to put a load or two in.

I am not one to wear ratty undies on vacation! I buy all new!!

I can't grasp the concept of lite packing and only having a couple pairs of shorts/capris/shoes getting me through!
Glad to read that, you do not know when you will meet the captain!:rotfl2:

How about buy new locally before cruise and dump the old ones to avoid washing!?

Thanks for all of the great advice. Doing laundry onboard seems like a great idea, although I don't like the idea of doing laundry on vacation :sad1: ...it seems like it's the best way.

I can totally identify with the shoe problem because there will be so many different situations that require different shoes. Formal night, semi-formal night, walking shoes for sightseeing/excusions, shoes to wear to the pool/beach, shoes that go with different outfits for dinner....ugh.....now I need advice on finding just 2 pairs of shoes that will be for all of these situations! :scared:

Thanks for all of the great advice. Doing laundry onboard seems like a great idea, although I don't like the idea of doing laundry on vacation :sad1: ...it seems like it's the best way.

I can totally identify with the shoe problem because there will be so many different situations that require different shoes. Formal night, semi-formal night, walking shoes for sightseeing/excusions, shoes to wear to the pool/beach, shoes that go with different outfits for dinner....ugh.....now I need advice on finding just 2 pairs of shoes that will be for all of these situations! :scared:

On ship, I like to have a pair of beach shoes, ( other people have crocks), and use them all daytime, on shore trips, and then at Castaway, usually you damage shoes somehow, from sea water to walking on old ruins, so I use these cheap shoes saving my best ones for evenings and then dump them on the last day of the cruise.

I am going to send my DH to do laundry...or splurge and have DCL do it!!
I bought matching flip flops to alot of my girls outfits without thinking of the packing, and so they have a rolling bag of shoes only!

We did a 14 day Hawaii cruise last year and we never could solve the shoe thing. I had a small luggage piece just for all the shoes because I couldn't figure out how to get out of dress shoes, sandals, walking shoes, water socks... it just went on...

I also do not want to do laundry on vacation - so I budget in what it will cost me to have the laundry done for me. Yes it can be pricey, but for me - it's totally worth it. Throw the dirties in a bag, fill out the form and let the attendant take them and they come back awesome!

Doing laundry really isn't a big deal. Bring one of those pop up laundry bag/hamper type of things, I got one at Target or Walmart...it was a few dollars. There's handles on it, so I could take this down to the laundry with me and then bring back the clean laundry in it to fold in the room. It fit well in the closet, and we'd throw the dirty laundry in it and keep it out of the way.

And doing the laundry shouldn't take you away from things for too long. You can just throw a load in, go back to the pool or to get a drink or whatever and come back and throw in the dryer. The washers and dryers have the number of minutes for the load so it is easy to know when to be back. During busy times people will take out your laundry (wet or dry :scared1: ) and put it on the bench so they can flip their laundry....SO I suggest getting back in time, just in case. Usually you will need to add a couple of quarters to the dryer ( on top of the initial dollar). I often do it right away, it just adds the time to the dryer and saves me a trip down there.

I used to say, oh I'm not doing laundry on vacation! But it actually makes things easier, I bring less and feel more organized. It isn't the chore I thought it would be. I know it will be a bit harder on a 15 day cruise to get a washer, I'm sure there is a lot of competition. Try to find a time when everyone else is off the ship or an odd time, and just try to do several loads at one time. Maybe that is all you will need to do!

I usually bring a tide to go stick and some zout in a little travel bottle...the washers aren't the best and if you don't pretreat stains and get them mostly out, they will still be there after the wash. I know, that sounds like such a "mom" comment, LOL! What can I say? My kids are messy. :rotfl:

I don't mind doing laundry on vacation. I like coming home with some clean items. For a condo based vacation I wash everything So I don't have to spend my whole first day home.. Sad already that vacation is over..doing laundry.

I do try and keep my shoe options in selecting clothing. Do you remember what your table mates shoes looked like on your last cruise? I bet no one will remember yours either. I like a nice pair of beige Merrell sandles. At home I wear better matching shoes don't get me wrong, but on a cruise thats one way to cut down on bulk.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter