• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

What's the best age to bring you child to Disney?

Here's an answer that recommends that kids be at least 8:
http://**************.net/planning-your-first-family-trip/how-oldtall-your-children-should-be/

However when we first went our kids were 7 and 9, and I wished that I'd brought them when they were younger. On my first trip I was 5 and still remember being impressed by the animals in the Jungle Cruise.

We've taken ours since they were just turning one ~ all ages are great!!

IF someone asked me this question and it was a once in a lifetime trip ~ I would probably say 5-6. They wouldn't need a stroller, no naps, but still young enough for the magic.

Took my DD for her 3rd birthday, then at 4, 6, 8, 9, 11 and on our surprise January 2nd trip, she'll be 13.

Every trip was a different kind of awesome, a different kind of magic. For our upcoming trip, I look forward to a few days where I'm cool mom again and not just the chauffeur.

Before our first trip, I told her that when she was a big girl and could go on the potty, I would call Mickey Mouse and we would go visit. Wouldn't you know, the very next day, no more diapers or pull ups! It was great being diaper-free, and I remember saying to myself "thank God she's out of diapers and done with naps." She walked at DHS and MK, but we got a stroller at Epcot and AK.

So I agree with most of the PPs. If you're going to go frequently, enjoy early and often. If it's a once in a lifetime trip, by 5 or 6 they'll have some memories of the trip and be tall enough for some or all of the height requirement rides, and you won't have to deal with the diapers, nap schedule or strollers.

I think that trying to plan a trip around when a child will remember it can be a bit tricky. My parents took me when I was five, and again again at age 13. For some strange reason, I have far more memories of the first trip! Everything was so magical and of course every minute of it was shared as a family. The second trip was wonderful too, and I'm very grateful to my parents for taking me, but, I don't know, my head was somewhere else most of the time.

We've now gone with our kids at age 2 and 3 and will be going again in February when they're 4 and 2 years 11 months (a totally awesome age to go, by the way!) My older daughter talks about our last trip all the time and even the two year old will sometimes bring up something that reminds him of the trip six months ago. Will they remember when they're 13? Who knows, but I do know that if I wait too long I may end with a kid that would rather go skiing, or sit on the beach, or hang out with friends rather than go to Disney with mom and dad. (Even if they do end up appreciating it years later!)

It depends. If you are only going once, go when the child will be 48 inches so he or she can get on all of the rides.

If you will be doing multiple times, anytime after they are potty trained and can either walk by themselves or are small enough to carry. No strollers for me.

I waited until my twins were 5.

Before then, I wasn't keen on vacationing with my kids (DH and I would travel without them, however). It wouldn't have been a vacation, it would have been caring for my children in an unsecured location. Much later, I think we would have missed the Magic feeling.

So, for us, 5 was the perfect age. I'm sure each family has their own perfect ages, and I'm sure in 10 years, I'll look back and think that age 5 wasn't so perfect after all, LOL.

I'd personally say whatever age YOU are comfortable with. I went the first time not long after WDW opened. I was young. Honestly, I cannot say I remember it, but my mother died shortly after the trip. I have pictures of her and I at WDW. I cherish those pictures because I never had a chance to have any more taken with her. So, take your kids when you are comfortable with them going.

Age 2 right before they turn 3 because they are free and believe in it all, they may not remember but you will.
Age 5 because its the perfect age, everything is magical!!
and Age 10 because they can do everything, and remember everything!!

and any age after that is just a bonus!!

We're taking our 1st family trip - grandparents, siblings and nieces and nephews. Our rule when we started thinking about it 3 or 4 years ago was once they can walk all day without needing a stroller. The youngest is now 5 and we think she can handle it. We'll see. :rotfl2: Of course we have a slush fund for a stroller if we need to get one and of course shorter days if she goes bonkers. But we think she will hang as long as her older two boy cousins are having a good time. She does whatever they do.

First time we took DD, she was a little over 4 years old and while some said she was too young as she didn't know who half the characters were, it made it even that much more special seeing her reaction to them all. She's now 6 and knows each and every one of them -- so it'll be interesting to see how she reacts now.

Remember where you are asking.:lmao::lmao:

While a lot of people bring infants, my opinion is any time after they are able to walk well, maybe from 2 and older. The diaper thing and bringing a carriage never bothered us. DS and DD keep asking when we are going back and they are 10 and 12. I enjoyed it when I was a teenager with only the two parks, EPCOT ad MK.

I'm not sure I agree with this... I haven't been to Disney with the kids yet, but I'd much rather change a diaper than have someone suddenly decide they need to go RIGHT NOW just as we're getting to the front of the line. DS has been potty trained for a year and a half and he still does that and he has to go whenever he's somewhere he's never been. We've decided to not even try to potty train the 2 year old before we go to avoid some of that. The downfall is that you have to carry stuff around, but we'll be using a stroller, so it won't be a big deal.

You just have to be diligent about taking them to use the bathroom and telling them it's potty time. You don't ask them and you don't wait for them to tell you they have to go, but you don't go get in a along line (like you wouldn't take a long drive) without using the bathroom first.

But, whether they are potty trained or not didn't make a difference to us. Either way, we're still taking the kids to the bathroom and were still bringing a diaper bag and a stroller.

Whenever the child is old enough to meet your expectations of their enjoying the experience. Don't bring a two year old if your expectations are they enjoy riding ToT.

The experience is different at every age. On our first trip to WDW, my younger brothers were 1 and 3, and my older brother and I were 11 and 9. (See avatar photo to the left). So we pretty much covered the entire age range that might be considered. My younger brothers had an entirely different experience than my older brother and I, but it was a blast for all of us. And for our parents too. Learning from this, we took our DD at age 9 mo., and pretty much every year since, with just a few skips along the way. She's now 14. I can't say that there was any single trip that was better for her, or for us. Everyone was great.

In responding to the age-old question: "Why take a child who is too young to remember?" Well....for the same reason that you pull out all the stops for "baby's first Christmas", and for the same reason that you have a big birthday party for her and invite all the relatives, put a silly hat on her and place a cake with a single candle in front of her. Do you think that your child will remember the first visit to Santa, or opening her first Christmas presents, or that first birthday party? Of couse she won't. But you will!! :goodvibes

If you want the full experience, you have to take them at every age. :)

Age 3 - 5 is magical. All the characters are real. It's like meeting celebrities who want to give you hugs.

Depends on what you feel is important and IMO the time of year you go.

We took my 2 DD's at ages 3 and 7. My 7 yr old could go on everything. My 3 yr old couldn't, but we had friends with us with kids the same age so the 3 yr old always had a friend. HOWEVER, seeing my 3 yr old with tears in her eyes as she met Tink and her asking me (as we walked thru the castle in the morning) if Cinderella was awake yet if she knew we were there...PRICELESS.

We are going again ONE MONTH from today! My girls are now 10, almost 7, and almost 2. We are paying Disney adult rate for my 10 yr old for park ticket AND dining plan, but my 2 year old is free and can eat off the 10 yr olds meal. We are doing diapers for the 1st time. BUT we are also going in January. We also now have 3 children..our last time we are ever able to stay in a standard value room with all of us. Next time, resorts will be more expensive, we will need park tickets for all as well. Someone posted that you need to have bathroom times for the very young who are potty trained. ITA, BUT we went during Thanksgiving week 2009. Dont care when or where you were, the bathrooms were nuts!! Looking forward to lower crowds this time around, taking my oldest on the Aerosmith coaster, my middle child on all the mountains she couldn't go on before and watching my youngest take it all in. I CAN'T WAIT!!!!:goodvibes

Kecia

ANY age! If I have kids they're deffo going to experience growing up with Disney.

I've never lost the magic despite being a adult now.

Age 2 right before they turn 3 because they are free and believe in it all, they may not remember but you will.
Age 5 because its the perfect age, everything is magical!!
and Age 10 because they can do everything, and remember everything!!

and any age after that is just a bonus!!

Totally agree with this!!! :-)

I think any age is great but it really depends on personal preference and whether you will be able to return. We've been taking my niece and nephew to Disneyland since they were babies and took them to Disney World for the first time when the were 1 and 3. Even my adult children still love Disney World. It's a different experience depending on the age, but all wonderful memories.

We took our youngest when she was 3.5 and we'll return for our next visit next Dec...She will be 5.5 and the twins will be 3.5 (It'll be the babies' first visit).

IMO, it's just to expensive to go before they can really enjoy it and you'll enjoy it more, too if they are potty trained and aren't taking naps any longer.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter