• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

What's Stopping Them?

joey8544

Earning My Ears
What guarantee do we have that the resorts will maintain their high level of quality? Once all the timeshares are sold, everybody will be locked in and Disney could let the quality slide by not keeping up with maintenance and the like.
What do you think???

I doubt it. We purchased DVC because of the Disney reputation. While our resort has been sold out for some time, we certainly are not seeing get run down. In fact, they are constantly refurbing units all the time.

I guess I see the point but OKW was built what 14 years or so ago and its not lagging behind. A couple more will shortly be closing in on the decade mark I think soon.

I'm not worried about it, WDW is a huge draw, we arent talking about some resort sitting in the middle of no where with nothing else to fall back on.

This isn't a fly by night timeshare operator. The DVC resorts are incorporated into the "regular" Disney resorts. The average Joe/Jane doesn't really know the difference when they book a resort. Disney doesnt' want its name associated with something that is less than first and certainly don't want it located on WDW property.

Look at the Polynesian and the Contemporary.....they've been there going on what 35 years or so? They are still in great shape. OKW opened at the end of 1992 -- looks pretty much the same as Day 1. No worries on that account.

What is stopping them...well, the only thing I can think of is financial gain.

Let me explain. First, I do not see a halt to building new resorts for the near future. Discussions on here have even expressed an idea that there are at least four more in discussion. These could be on WDW property or in California, Tokyo, Hong Kong, Paris, etc. If DVC lets their current properties slide into disrepair, they would be hard pressed to sell any new ones. Thus, it is in their near future interest to maintain their resorts.

Secondly, Disney owns part of each resort and rents the rooms to cash paying guests. To do this, they will need to maintain the exterior and amenities anyway. Plus, there are no designated rooms for DVC owners and those staying on cash. It is in Disney's current interest to maintain the resorts and bring in cash gusets at a very high rate.

Third, at the end of our contracts, Disney can either resell the contracts or rebuild on the site for somethign new (another DVC site, possibly). If they maintain the resorts, they could be in great shape in 50 years, thus can be resold at a premium (either back to the current owners at a discount or new ones). Thus, it is in DVC's long term interest to keep the resorts nice.

Lastly, we as owners foot most of the maintenance bill! Disney has no reason not to keep the places in good condition, since the bulk of the cost probably comes from you and me and not the company. They would be happy to handle this for us, especially since they get a management fee for doing so. Also, we would sue the crap out of them if they took our maintenance dues and the places fell apart. They would need to cough up cash and gain a bad reputation along with it. It is easier and cheaper to spend our money to keep the place up.

Just my thoughts on the matter. What are yours?

Thanks everybody for the excellent, informative replies!! They helped put my mind at ease in regard to purchasing DVC points.

THANKS!!!!

Joey I thought the same when i was considering purchasing. We made it a point to visit OKW unannouced, just stopped by to tour. (It was very slow season and in the middle of the day). They were absolutely wonderful to us and assigned a CM to show us the units. We were purchasing BCV, but I wanted to see how well maintained the oldest DVC was and it was impeccable!! Touring OKW immediately put our minds at ease and we immediately did an add-on there before closing on BCV. We felt if OKW was maintained to those standards for 15 years we knew BCV and SSR would be too.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter