What's so special about Castaway Cay?

Keyser

DIS Veteran
I know the question is titled provocatively, but I mean the question seriously. I'm wondering what it is about Castaway Cay that people find particularly attractive as a port of call.

My one trip on DCL, I only had a couple of hours free on CC, so I basically just got to walk around the island (I saw most of it but didn't really do anything on it except get some food). It was pretty, and the beaches were nice, but I didn't see anything (from this quick look at it) that made me understand why some people love the island so much. To me, I didn't see what separated it to such a degree from any of dozens of beaches on the U.S. coast.

So, please help me understand - what is it that I've missed that makes Castaway Cay so special?

To me, its one of the most beautiful places I have ever seen. The minute I stepped off the ship and started walking, I looked to my left, and I was literally blown away with its beauty. At one point in the afternoon, my DH and I found a hammock and just laid there staring at the ship. Where else can you do that? And the great food, just there for the taking...and the service coming around for drink orders, just everything I love about this island. But the sheer beauty of it, its just gorgeous.

After going to Nassau the day before where the kids didn't like the sales pressure from the locals, we all found CC to be the best part of the cruise. We were going to go parasailing but it got cancelled due to the wind. We headed over to do the wave runners and the "non-Disney" employees that run the rentals for the wave runners, banana boats, etc. were just as wonderful as the real Disney employees. It was a fun day at the beach where we also rented bikes to check out the island. Just a wonderful day for our family! We spent the day doing everything together.

We enjoy CC for a few reasons. Our first cruise the kids were 3 and 5. They could play in the water and we didn't have to worry about riptides or waves on the family beach. The bathrooms and food were very closeby. It was just peaceful and relaxing. :) I do not love going to the beach because of everything that you normally need to take with you in order to be comfy for a few hours. At CC you just get off the ship and it is all there for you to enjoy.

I hate beaches, but for some reason I adore Castaway Cay. I'm not quite sure what it is about it, perhaps the atmosphere? But I will gladly get all sandy and wet on CC where I would normally rather sit in the car at a "normal" beach.

I think a lot of what separates CC from my local beaches in my mind is the water. I will not hesitate to get in the water at CC. It's so clear and beautiful. Here on the Gulf (and in most of the US) the water is a gunky brownish green. :crazy2: Also, CC sand, to my recollection, is not filled with piles of seaweed and rotting fish corpses.

Next time you get a chance, grab an inner tube and just float around in the perfectly calm, crystal clear water and you'll know exactly why we all love CC. :cloud9:

I think there is too much to do at CC. :) Last time we had every intention of putting the kids in the club and venturing over to the adult side.
We all were having so much playing in the water, building sandcastles, etc etc. We ended up having lunch, playing some more.
We did all take the tram over to the adult side, just so the kids could see it. then it was time to go back to the ship.

then we walked back and took a bunch of pics of the ship etc.

I cant wait to have 2 days there.

It's true - Castaway Cay is not the most beautiful place in the world and you can get better beaches and even better service in other places. That said - it comes pretty darned close to being one of the best places I've visited on a cruise - ever!

There are no pressure sellers wandering the beach (unless you count the VERY welcomed drink servers), the water is clear without big waves that scare my young girls, everything is within reach - and if you need to head back to the ship for a bit (say you forgot and extra swimmy diaper :scared: ) - the ship is right there - not an hour or so away. The food is free and better than any cruise excursion food I've had. And if I need to escape - serenity bay is only a tram-ride away.

If I didn't have to applaud Disney for trying to preserve a little of the natural environment, then I'd probably say that I'd prefer that there weren't any sea grass on the family beach or sea urchins in serenity bay. But it's their home - not mine - so I'll cope and wear beach shoes. There aren't many better places except maybe Trunk Bay on St. John and Koh Samui in Thailand that I've visited. And at Trunk Bay - there are no servers with Konk Koolers. :cool1:

To me the beauty of Castaway Cay is that it is just you and your shipmates and crew. No locals pushing things on you, no hassle to find food, and you can come and go as you please. I love heading over to Serenity Bay. I look up from my lounge chair and all I see is blue sky and beautiful blue water! Love it!

I agree with the other posters -- you don't have to walk the gauntlet of sellers, taxi drivers, etc, that you do in other ports!

It's also beautifully clean. You can walk on sidewalks until you get to the point of the beach that you like, instead of slogging through the sand the whole way. Nice restrooms. Great food, I don't have to pack my own or fear eating at eat-at-your-own-risk restaraunt. Good chairs and plenty of shade umbrellas! If you go to the far end of the family beach, there isn't even a crowd. Fun photo stops scattered around the island. Bumping into new friends from the ship. A sea net keeping out larger sharks. I have heard of sightings of nurse sharks and we spotted a stingray and a baraccuda right near the edge of the beach. We thought that was exciting and fun, not a minus at all! :banana: Gentle waves since it is a protected inlet, not open ocean. I didn't have to worry about frightening undertows or sneaker waves.

Shall I keep going? Hammocks? Adult-only areas? Childcare if you want it? :thumbsup2

Plus, we live in Oregon. Our coast is gorgeous, but always cool and windy. We love to go walk the beach, look through the tidepools and dig in the sand. But it never seems warm enough to swim and the currents are tricky for little ones. So for us it was just INCREDIBLE to be able to swim in the ocean. Of course, we did that at Cozumel and Grand Caymen, too. But Castaway Cay was better by far! :cool1:

Karen :cloud9:

My kids are 7 and 9. When we got off the ship we found a great spot with a hammock and just relaxed. The kids could swim without worries of waves or riptides. They could go and get their own drinks and snacks. We went to do the Stingray adventure and my DH accidently left his $1200 camera on the beach chair. It was still there when we got back. I'm sure that wouldn't have been the case anywhere else!

I'm wondering what it is about Castaway Cay that people find particularly attractive as a port of call...So, please help me understand - what is it that I've missed that makes Castaway Cay so special?
Okay, so call me lazy, but I can cut and paste a lot of my response...

The bathrooms and food were very closeby...At CC you just get off the ship and it is all there for you to enjoy.

I agree with the other posters -- you don't have to walk the gauntlet of sellers, taxi drivers, etc, that you do in other ports!

It's also beautifully clean. You can walk on sidewalks until you get to the point of the beach that you like, instead of slogging through the sand the whole way. Nice restrooms... Good chairs and plenty of shade umbrellas!..Fun photo stops scattered around the island. Bumping into new friends from the ship...Hammocks...Childcare if you want it...:thumbsup2

In short, it's a typical beach in the abacos with Disney there to care for it and try and make sure you have that ideal experience while you're there - plus you get the benefit of not needing to carry cash for anything you want to purchase along the way...so, count me among those that love it, but all that being said, Gorda Cay (aka Castaway Cay) is still not my favorite in the abacos...(mainly because you have all of those other people from the boat), so I like to get a few more miles away and miss the crowds....:woohoo:

DSCN3375.thumb.jpg
DSCN3196.thumb.jpg
DSCN3251.thumb.jpg
DSCN3259.thumb.jpg
DSCN3266.thumb.jpg

I know the question is titled provocatively, but I mean the question seriously. I'm wondering what it is about Castaway Cay that people find particularly attractive as a port of call.

My one trip on DCL, I only had a couple of hours free on CC, so I basically just got to walk around the island (I saw most of it but didn't really do anything on it except get some food). It was pretty, and the beaches were nice, but I didn't see anything (from this quick look at it) that made me understand why some people love the island so much. To me, I didn't see what separated it to such a degree from any of dozens of beaches on the U.S. coast.

So, please help me understand - what is it that I've missed that makes Castaway Cay so special?

Let me be the first to agree with you %100. I don't see what the big deal with CC is myself. I have 4 cruises with DCL under my belt, and if the next two did not go there I could not even care. On the last cruise I got off with my wife for lunch, grab a drink at the bar, and then went back to the ship as like you said, it is just a beach and I live a mile from the beach. Next time I do not think I will be even getting off for lunch. I will just stay on the ship and enjoy the empty ship. That is my new new thing while the ship is in port.

I am another who is not a "beach person" but LOVED CC. I think it was the combination of the gorgeous beach (which I can appreciate) and having everything so conveniently located. For instance, when I've been on a typical "beach" vacation you are lugging a million things you need for the day. Want shade? Gotta rent a $30 beach chair and umbrella. Get hungry? Gotta hike off the beach and find food. It's just so much work. I'm not one to just want to lay in the sun or splash for hours, so a regular beach is a lot of work to just hang out a little while.

At CC, everything you need is at hand. No need to lug a million things..bring a small beach bag and you're good to go. There's shade and hammocks, wagons to haul the kids in. Food and drink stations just yards away, and then lots of activities for those of us who don't just want to loaf in the sun (water activities, biking, characters, and fun kid stuff like the whale dig).

I didn't think I'd be that thrilled with CC - wanted to see a beautiful beach but thought I'd bore fast. We ended being there all day and never feeling bored, and actually wanted to do a bunch of other stuff but the kids pulled us different directions.
I'm booked for the special 5 day cruise in Sept - the reason I wanted this one? TWO stops at CC! :banana:

I agree whole heartedly with the previous posts about the day at the beach without having to lug everything you would need or want. Everything was soooo convenient it was the best day at the beach I've experienced.

Looking back at the pictures we took on Castaway Cay, my impression is of the colorful details. From the beautiful variety of flowering plants, to the blues of the sky and sea, to the delightful splashes of color of the beach umbrellas.

Castaway Cay is an extremely well thought out island retreat. Successfully designed to provide for the enjoyment and comfort of the guests.

I echo the sentiments of everyone else...and I am not a beach person. Serenity is the most quiet beach I've ever been to and it's a nice change from say Florida, California, or any Caribbean resorts where there are always children and teens on those beaches.

And for a cruise line with it's own island, I believe Disney is the only one whose guests do not have to tender...you have it easy to just walk on and off the ship as you wish.

Has anybody been to the game room area at CC? I heard they have pool tables, foosball tables, etc . . .

We have done 2 Disney Cruises' and I am sorry, but I have to disagree with people you say that they live close to beaches so no big deal, I live in Florida and grew up going to the beach no less than 3 times per week I have seen the beaches in LA and there is no way you can compare the two. Now if you are not a beach person then I can understand, but we love the clear blue water, the white sand, and the net to keep the critters out, but to each his own.

Has anybody been to the game room area at CC? I heard they have pool tables, foosball tables, etc . . .

I'd never heard of this one! :confused3 Though I can't imagine wanting to choose that over the beach unless it was cold and rainy! :rotfl: I'd still like to hear more.

Karen :cloud9:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter