Whats so magic about 18?? I dont get this from parents POV?

mudnuri

<font color=deeppink>I HATE it when I miss somethi
The thread about spring breaks makes me wonder-

What so magically happens when they turn 18?

The certainly don't turn into an adult in 1 day...they dont learn to make better choices because they're 18 and not 17

Take my 2 DD's DD8 will be 18 her senior year
DD7 will be 17 her senior year

So if I believed what some of you believe, I'd let DD8 go, but not DD7? Because ones 18 and ones not? huh??

Or they cant' use a tanning booth until they're 18? 1 day? they could be 17 and 364 days old and cant but by golly 24 hours later its okay? HUH?

Someone fill me in on this please

Brandy

As a parent, it means nothing. As a person turning 18 it is everything. It is the point in his/her life whre s/he can take matters into their own hands and you have nothing to say about it. NOTHING. That is the long and short of it.

everythings great about 18. i cannot wait until i turn 18. i can stay out past the town curfew, i can go to over 18 concerts, i can dolots of stuff. its gonna be awesome being 18, finally being an "adult".

Yes, it is a date, but they have to set a limit somewhere.

As a society we have decided that 18 is the age one leaves childhood and begins the journey toward adulthood. I don't recall any great revelation upon awakening for my 18th b-day; its just a point in time.

tlgoblue said:
The reason for the date is simple...Litigation.
-----------------

I have to agree with this answer.. For the most part they are considered "adults" at that point and with the status of being an "adult" comes all of the rights and responsibilities..

I got my ears double pierced when I turned 18---I quit having mom sign my straight A report cards (with her permission), I was old enough to buy her cigarettes--that was one privilege I didn't want to have.

It was exciting to be 18--it was one more step on my way out to college :)

It's just a handy place to draw the line. Some 18 year olds are more immature than some 16 year olds but there has to be a place to draw the line both legally and morally.

oh yeah, and im getting my nose pierced when i turn 18. my mom wouldnt have it, cant wait till i can do it on my own.

I responded on that thread that I would let my kids go on SB when they are 18. I'm more concerned about legalities. I would feel better having my son travel without guardian if he was 18--a legal adult. However, I then realized that my son will not be 18 by SB his senior year (birthday in mid-April). So, I probably would make an exception in this case.

18 is the time my parents couldn't stop me from doing what I wanted to do. Let me tell you, I warned them it was coming. For a while, I was hell on wheels. Just because I was 18. :confused3 Prior to that, I never got into any trouble, had good grades, worked through school.

Then I turned 19 and grew up really fast. Made lots of mistakes, my Dad died. Things changed.

I hope my kids never tell me I can't stop them when I turn 18. I know I'll be in trouble. :guilty:

I'm 18. My parents dont treat me any differently then when I was 17. Oh, wait, my dad's pressuring me to vote in the town elections tomorrow, to help pass his planning board warants. The other difference? I forgot to get my transcript request forms signed when I was turning in college apps at school. But then I realized it was my 18th birthday and at 18 I didn't have to have them signed; for me it was a help.
But things are no different in my parents eyes. I'm not entitled to anything I wasn't before I turned 18. Most people don't even believe I'm 18. My parents just see it as she's a senior, going to college next year. That's the way they view my age-by the grade and school I'm in, if that makes any sense. Yeah I'm legal to go get piercings if I want them, be in a car without a seatbelt, smoke, etc. I don't do any of those things.

18 = legal adult. All of my siblings and I had graduated prior to age 18, but my children will be 18 when they are seniors. It sort of freaks me out that I'll have an "adult" living in my home as an undergrad. To me 18 is no longer the criteria for independence - graduation is. (My kids won't be doing anything like Spring Break anyway until they are financially independent - I can't even fathom letting a high school child do it!)

The excitment about being 18 senior year spring break is that if you go somewhere like Cancun your legal to drink alcohol... that where many people in my hs went for that one reason. Its sad, but very true.

Going to be interesting to see what happens with my son. He's going to be 16 when he graduates HS- turns 17 a month before he starts college.

He's a level headed kid and I'm not really concerned except I think he might be legally excluded from some things his friends are doing. I've got people telling me I should force him to commute to college or go to community college for 2 years or take a year off before starting college- all are options still on the table! But they're his options to choose from, not mine.

I agree there has to be a line drawn somewhere, it's just that because of circumstances the line will really affect him (already is as far as driving- in NJ you can't get a license till 17 so next year all his friends will be driving while he'll still be calling mom...)

I know my students think 18 means you can do whatever you want and your parents can't stop you. True, but for me it would mean that if you live under my roof you still follow my rules unless you want to pay rent.
I saw a new 18 year old today who went and got himself a credit-card sized confederate flag tattoo on his forearm. I'm sure most parents would go ballistic if their son came home with one of those, 18 or not. Even his friends are disgusted.
Robin M.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter