We're going to my brother's for T-day. He's making:
Turkey
mashed potatoes
turnip
green bean casserole
sweet potato casserole
rolls
chocolate pie
I'm bringing spinach dip, hot corn dip, deviled eggs, key lime pie, death by chocolate and 7 layer bars.
They also have a couple extra people come over who don't have any place to go, so I'm not sure if they're bringing anything or not.

Turkey
Dressing
Mashed potatoes
Sweet potato casserole
Green bean casserole
Cranberry relish
Rolls
Pecan tarts

I don't know what we are doing for apps yet. Probably my bacon blue cheese dip. I envy those of you having Brussels aloud. My favorite winter vegetable and no one will eat them but me. Sigh.

Appetizers: Guacamole with blue tortilla and home-made pita chips, Bruschetta, Savory Palmiers (Ina Garten), cheese and cracker tray with fruit, cashews.

Dinner: Boneless Brined Turkey, Sausage Stuffing, Mashed Potatoes (Anne Burrell), Gravy, Squash, Green Bean Casserole, Cranberry Sauce, Cornbread Muffins.

Dessert: Pumpkin Pie and Whipped Cream, Apple Pie and Vanilla Ice Cream.

Just bought some nice red and white wine for the day. :)

Has anyone started a thanksgiving menu thread yet? I searched but nothing came up for this year. I always enjoy reading them to get some new ideas.
I'm having
Turkey
Dressing
Mashed potatoes
baked sweet potatoes
Gravy
butternut Squash
Turnip
rolls and butter
pickles and olives
My Mother will be bringing green bean casserole, a fruit salad and assorted pies.
So lets hear what everyone else is planning!

Lori, that's almost exactly what we have every year! I'm a New England girl, and that's our traditional meal, except for the green bean casserole and fruit salad, but those were incorporated into our meal as they are traditional in my DH's family. For pies, I make pecan, mixed berry, and "another" (chocolate cream, banana cream, or lemon meringue, usually), as well as an apple crisp (my brother's favorite dessert). We also have cider and eggnog. Last year I made brussels sprouts with bacon and walnuts to take to a friend's home- first time I actually every enjoyed brussels sprouts, so they may have to become a "thing" for us!

ETA: Ooops, I forgot the appetizers (like we need 'em, right?). Brie in phyllo with Stonewall Kitchen Farmhouse Chutney, clam dip, onion dip, peanut butter stuffed dates, chips, a veggie tray (straight from Sam's). I basically ask everyone what they like and then I make it all! Lots of work and planning, but then I don't have to cook for about a week! (and I don't do dishes...)

Last edited:
roasted brussels sprouts with creamy dijon sauce

. Last year I made brussels sprouts with bacon and walnuts to take t a friend's home- first time I actually every enjoyed brussels sprouts, so they may have to become a "thing" for us!

Thanks for spelling brussels sprouts correctly. A pet peeve of mine. And thanks for the recipe from them with the creamy mustard sauce. I'll have to try it sometime.

aMy family is very attached to our traditional Thanksgiving dinner. I have tried to change things up a few times, introduce a few new sides, but they will just not play along. I guess the only unusual thing about my menu is that everything except the ham, turkey & turkey gravy is vegetarian. DD22 is vegetarian, so I try to make it so that she doesn't have to ask, "Is this veg? is this? how about this?" It's aaaaaalll veg, dear.
Lord, isn't that the truth...no point even BOTHERING to vary our menu. "Turkey Dinner" (capitol T, capitol D :lmao:) in our family is an actual thing - to be served complete as a unit, nothing added and for sure nothing taken away. ::yes::

Lord, isn't that the truth...no point even BOTHERING to vary our menu. "Turkey Dinner" (capitol T, capitol D :lmao:) in our family is an actual thing - to be served complete as a unit, nothing added and for sure nothing taken away. ::yes::

LOL, I have the same problem. Thanksgiving dinner is specific set of turkey + sides, with no deviation allowed. I have tried switching things up a few times--adding broccoli or asparagus or mac & cheese, cabbage instead of collards. No deal. You won't believe the two items that are mandatory....

Celery stuffed with squirt cheese and a jar of olives :rotfl2:

Turkey, Ham, Gravy, Stuffing, Rolls, Deviled Eggs, Sausage Balls, Mashed Potatoes, Baked Macaroni and Cheese, Broccoli and Cheese Rice Casserole, Green Bean Casserole, Fried Corn, Pecan Pie, Apple Pie, Oatmeal Butterscotch Cookies, Pineapple

LOL, I have the same problem. Thanksgiving dinner is specific set of turkey + sides, with no deviation allowed. I have tried switching things up a few times--adding broccoli or asparagus or mac & cheese, cabbage instead of collards. No deal. You won't believe the two items that are mandatory....

Celery stuffed with squirt cheese and a jar of olives
:rotfl2:
::yes:: Oh, yeah - I believe it. In fact I'll see it and raise you mashed rutabaga and green jellied salad! :lmao:

We are going completely non traditional and having rigatoni with meat sauce, salad, bread, various appetizers and desserts. I work retail and while I am lucky our store is not open Thanksgiving, I do work very late the night before and early the next day.

Hahahaha I neglected to mention that IT'S ME that insists on the rutabaga! ;)

What I call turnip is actually rutabaga, so I'm with you there! Love it!!

One thing I forgot to mention on the relish tray is celery filled with cream cheese that has chopped green olives in it. I love this... especially when there's extra cream cheese and I can use it to make grilled cream cheese sandwiches when I get sick of turkey sandwiches!

PSA...

I just checked the Butterball website and it is time to take the 20lb turkey out of the freezer to thaw.:thumbsup2

I am hosting and having the usual, turkey, sage sausage stuffing, m. potatoes, homemade turkey gravy made with homemade turkey broth (so good), green beans, rolls, sweet potatoes, pumpkin pie, cranberries canned and homemade.

We have scaled back apps and sides these days. I will probably do a veggie tray and something else. I will have to scan this thread for ideas!!! :goodvibes

My mom is making a chocolate cake as well.

Last edited:
I host and never know how many I will have so I make a ton of food.

Apps:
Jalapeno chicken dip w/ Scoops chips
Meatballs in grape jelly/chili sauce mix
Lil Smokies in BBQ sauce
meat and cheese tray
crackers
goat cheese/cream cheese/salsa spread w/ homemade baguette
deviled eggs
spinach and artichoke dip
veggie tray w/ ranch and hummus
cream cheese w/ Boar's Head ham glaze and pecans over it

Dinner:
roast turkey (trying out Alton Brown's romancing the bird this year)
fried turkey
homemade mashed potatoes
homemade turkey gravy
homemade dressing
sweet potato casserole (w/ the pecans not marshmallows)
corn souffle
cranberry sauce (jelly and whole)
green bean casserole
homemade yeast rolls
homemade brown and serve rolls
mac and cheese

Desserts:
pumpkin pie bites
Dutch apple pie
some gross marshmallow/jello/fruit cocktail/whipped cream concoction (my son's only request)

Drinks:
Fizzy punch for the kids
An adult punch for the grown ups

And whatever other random things the other wives bring. Last year there were 23 people on top of the 5 of us.

20-25 people

Turkey - brined in beer and apple cider (Emeril's recipe)
Ham
Stuffing
mashed potatoes
giblet gravy (also Emeril's recipe)
creamed corn
honey maple glazed carrots
salad
rolls

Guests are bringing appetizers, sweet potatoes, cranberry sauce, another potato casserole, and dessert.

We usually host at our house, brothers and their various families bring the side dishes and we usually do a smoked turkey and smoked pork of some sort. My son has had a tough year this year so we've decided it will just be the 3 of us and the family are all going over to one of the brother's houses. Originally we thought we'd smoke some pork but were talking today and decided we might just throw some steak on the grill and maybe throw a turkey breast in the oven for me cause I love me some turkey. If we do that, I'll probably cheat and buy boxed stuffing and throw some veggies in the oven to roast. There will be banana pudding for my son cause that's his favorite dessert and we are really trying to make him smile. Since I have about 80 bottles of wine in my wine cellar (basement) I'll probably open a bottle of wine as well. I will run over to the brother's early in the afternoon for appys and to taste a bottle of sparkling Shirah we bought today just because I'd never heard of it and thought it would be interesting.

My parents are living an hour away so they just come for the day. My sister didn't think she'd be able to come for the week (she's a teacher and her school district takes the week off) but she found a last minute deal on an airline ticket. My kids were disappointed when they found out she wasn't coming this year so we plan to surprise them. We also have another family coming. They're British ex pats whose kids go to our older son's school. They celebrated Thanksgiving for the first time ever at our house last year and it was a blast. All told, we will have 7 adults and 4 kids.

dinner:
-turkey. We splurged on an organic, free range heirloom turkey from a local farm. My dh loves to cook Gordon's Ramsey's Christmas turkey and gravy recipe. It made me like turkey for the first time ever.
-sweet potato casserole with marshmallows on top. I can't stand it but the rest of the family expects it.
-my signature cranberry, grape, pomegranate and ginger sauce recipe. It's a recipe I invented. Perfect balance of sweet and tart
-green bean casserole. I made it one year from scratch and it was amazing but everyone else expects it to come from a can. :crazy2:
-Epicurius's New England sausage, apple and dried cranberry stuffing Lots of work but totally worth it.
-creamy pearl onions recipe from William Sonoma. Usually I make mashed potatoes but decided to try something new. Hopefully the family won't revolt
-rolls

drinks:
-iced tea
-mulled cider recipe from Pioneer Woman
-wine. not sure what my dh selected
-apple cider for the kids

dessert
-trifle. My British friends are bringing that
-pecan pie
-pumpkin pie

I really wanted to make Bobby Flay's pumpkin bread pudding but my dh was concerned that I wouldn't have time to make it since it's a very time consuming recipe.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter