What's On Your Menu For Thanksgiving '14?

If we go to my mother's, I will fix a 7 layer salad, some kind of casserole (my sister has the broccoli) and german chocolate cake. And either deviled eggs or stuffed celery or maybe both.

Obviously I haven't given any of this much thought! :rotfl:

Can I ask what your salad consists of? :)

Since DH and I are cooking our own thanksgiving dinner after going to my parents thanksgiving lunch. It's going to be something easy and quick.
Lemon Sage Cornish Hens with gravy
Sausage Cornbread Stuffing
Smashed Poatoes
Orange Cranberry Sauce
Dijon and Bacon Roasted Brussel Sprouts
Pan fried Green beans with Almonds and Shallots
Chocolate Poundcake

Im thinking about mabye French Onion Soup as well.

Normally we do a Thanksgiving Dinner at our house the Saturday after and go to DHs grandparents that live local on Thanksgiving Day. This year since grandpas health is not great we have been asked to have it at our house. First thing I done was instruct everyone not to bring anything (his grandparents are the only decent cooks and neither have the ability to do it this year-all the aunts and MIL cooiing is rubbish).

My menu so far:
Two home raised turkey
Cornbread and regular dressing
Homemade cranberry sauce
Homemade rolls
Green bean bundles
Green bean casserole
Sweet potatoe casserole
Mashed potatoes
Hash brown casserole
Mac and cheese
Deviled eggs
Gravy
Chocolate pie
Pumpkin pie
Coconut pie
Lemon pie
I am sure there will be more added simply due to special requests. We are expecting around 50 people between family and friends and I have already come commendered the use of my neighbors double ovens to help get it all done. Busy day but I LOVE to cook, and have a general I trust of others cooking and sanitary standards, yep I'm an OCD control freak when it comes to food :)

Just DH & I, but we love Thanksgiving dinner and especially leftovers for my "After Thanksgiving Turkey Soup" - but we don't go too nuts with the actual dinner.

Brined turkey on Showtime Rotisserie with canned cranberry sauce (for DH)

Dressing (made with homemade bread - this year I'm extra excited to use the King Arthur Flour "dressing bread" recipe in my new bread machine.)

Mashed Potatoes

Make Ahead Turkey Gravy (took me 50+ yrs to master gravy!)

Roasted Brussels Sprouts

Pumpkin Pie

Standard fixings at DH's aunt's house.

I bring artichoke/harvarti dip and DH makes green bean hotdish.

And, I typically bring a no bake nutella pie, but seeing the above coconut pie...I might want to make that, instead.

My mom cooks every year. It's my mom, her 2 sisters, and their families. Might also include my mom's cousin, his wife, their kids, and their grandkids! There are usually about 20 of us but the addition of them could bump us close to 30.

We always have..
Turkey
Stuffing
Mashed potatoes with gravy
Green bean casserole
Corn
Cranberry sauce
Dinner rolls
Sweet potatoes of some kind (usually an aunt does this and she'll try new things)
Stuffing balls
Sausage and wild rice (Omg, my mom makes this and it is outstanding!!)
Dessert of some kind

I can't think of if I'm missing anything or not. Maybe a veggie or something!

This year I'm bringing along a dish with brussels sprouts, cranberries, walnuts and blue cheese.. yum!

We usually do breakfast on Thanksgiving Day at DH's parents' house. However, last year, we had a Thanksgiving get-together at DH's brother's house the weekend before - My SIL & I planned a lighter menu - turkey sliders, cranberry sauce, hashbrown casserole, apple cabbage slaw, etc.

I'm not sure what the plan w/ the inlaws is for this year.

We have Thanksgiving Dinner at my parents' house. My sister is 37, & I'm 41. Mom is just now letting us do more & bring more than just a dessert. ;)

Our menu is normally the following, & I'm sure this year's will be similar:

Turkey
Cornbread Dressing
Mashed Potatoes & Gravy
Sweet Potato Casserole (w/ the brown sugar pecan topping)
Green Beans
Corn Souffle
Broccoli Casserole
Macaroni & Cheese (for the kids!)
Yeast Rolls
Pecan Pie
Pumpkin Pie
Something Chocolate
Cookies

I typically look for some new fallish dessert to make.

My mom cooks every year. It's my mom, her 2 sisters, and their families. Might also include my mom's cousin, his wife, their kids, and their grandkids! There are usually about 20 of us but the addition of them could bump us close to 30.

We always have..
Turkey
Stuffing
Mashed potatoes with gravy
Green bean casserole
Corn
Cranberry sauce
Dinner rolls
Sweet potatoes of some kind (usually an aunt does this and she'll try new things)
Stuffing balls
Sausage and wild rice (Omg, my mom makes this and it is outstanding!!)
Dessert of some kind

I can't think of if I'm missing anything or not. Maybe a veggie or something!

This year I'm bringing along a dish with brussels sprouts, cranberries, walnuts and blue cheese.. yum!

Do you have your mom's recipe? Would you kindly share? That sounds delicious!

Turkey

Stuffing (made with celery, onion, butter, poultry season, day old bread, and chicken stock)

Mashed potatoes

Gravy (made with drippings and stock)

Cranberries (made from the berries and oranges - not canned)

Rolls (packaged)

Buttered white corn

Dessert: Apple pie (homemade) and pumpkin pie (purchased - one piece if possible)

I am only cooking for three this year so I am searching recipes to be able to reduce the amount of food we have left over. I think a few lunches and one extra dinner is the perfect amount.

I also make turkey stock from the carcass the following day.

Do you have your mom's recipe? Would you kindly share? That sounds delicious!

Here it is:

Here is Recipe:

Roll of Sausage
Box of Uncle Ben’s Long Grain and Wild Rice – (Quick cook)
1-2 Green Peppers Chopped
1-2 Onion Chopped

Cook sausage, green pepper and onion, breaking up sausage so it is small pieces, drain well!
Cook Rice, add the rice to the sausage mixture.

That’s it, very simple!

Cold shrimp and cocktail sauce
Turkey & gravy
Awesome Sausage, Apple and Cranberry Stuffing (Allrecipes)
Mashed potatoes
Sweet potato casserole
Scalloped oysters
Sauteed green beans
Cranberry sauce (whole berry, made with OJ)
Rolls and butter
Pumpkin pie
Apple pie

And wine. Lots of wine.

My menu is always the same. It's what the kids demand.:goodvibes We don't have any family within 350 miles, so it's just the 5 of us, plus whoever's boyfriend/girlfriend/poker partner/carpooler/hairdresser decides to join us. I never know until the day--we have had as many as 8 extra surprise guests on Thanksgiving. :upsidedow As long as everyone behaves themselves (and they do) I say the more, the merrier.

So here is my menu:
Turkey & Gravy
Cornbread dressing
homemade cranberry sauce
brown gravy
mashed potatoes
sweet potatoes
carrot soufflé
corn
butter beans
peas
collard greens
olives
devilled eggs

Everything except the turkey and turkey gravy is vegetarian.

My DD21 will make most of the pies. Her fresh pumpkin pie is awesome, with awesome sauce! And her Bourbon Pecan Pie is just as good. I will make at least one coconut custard pie, too.

Have absolutely no clue! Our daughter is in college about 2 hours away, and her part time job in that area will likely have her working over the Thanksgiving holiday - we just don't know the hours yet. We will spend what time we can with her where we can, and will be thankful for that.

Tons of oysters served on the deck overlooking the sound at our friend's house! Served with gloves, shucking knives and instructions to those new to it.

Loads of wine and beer and soda.

Turkey, spiral ham, various sides, cheese tray, hot dips, various shrimp dishes, rolls, etc. brought pot luck by friends.

If my test try works out I will bring Ina Garten's Leek & Artichoke Bread Pudding that I saw on The Chew.

I always bring by request Paula Deen's Ooey Gooey Pumpkin Cake with whipped cream (kind of a cross between pumpkin pie and cheesecake). A local newscaster is a regular at these and is given leftovers to share at the station that he works at on Thanksgiving evening. A few years ago I brought this cake and they raved about it on the air, lol! Now I make a whole extra for him to take to the crew.

Other desserts and cookies round out the meal. Best part? Everyone gets leftovers! :banana:

Mine is pretty simple. I don't like to be messing around with recipes on the day of Thanksgiving. :)

Turkey with gravy
Potatoes
Rice (since sons prefer over potatoes)
Broccoli
Squash
Cranberry Sauce
Rolls
Apple Pie
Pumpkin Pie

Can't decide if I'm making stuffing or not... I'm the only one that likes it.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter