What's on the menu?

mickeylove2

DIS Veteran
Since there are so many who are losing weight for summer, I thought it would be fun to list what we are eating each day. This can give others some good ideas for meals and snacks, and can always be used as an accountability tool too, which is definitely what I need! So, who wants to start???

Today: we're having a 'build your own potato' and salads. Toppings for the potato are cheese, light sour cream, potato toppers, home made left over chili (my veg. chili is very healthy!!!). I bake the potatoes and cut them in 1/2. we each take a 1/2 and top it with our faves...My family love "chop salads"...I make hard boiled eggs early in the day, put them in the fridge. Then, I take a bagged salad, onions, eggs, a little cheese, tomatoes and black olives and chop everything all together. I put it in a bowl, put it back in the fridge, put the salad plates in the freezer and get it nice and cold before I serve it. I serve it with salad toppers and dressing.

We've got these little 'dressing cups' that my family uses to put our dressing in. It measures out the proper amounts of dressing, so we don't douse our salads in it! Salads are SUPER healthy if they have the right 'serving size' of a light dressing on them!!!

I found some low-fat lobster ravioli so I plan on mixing with some some pesto, scallops and grilled brussell sprouts.

Or I may do "penne" which is spicy spaghetti sauce with tons of vegetables, low fat meat served over whole wheat penne noodles. This is actually pretty filling and is good for about two-three days.

For lunch, an old standby-imitation crab with lemon

Breakfast-Some yogurt or all else failing, Orange and mango bowl.

I am cooking a pork tenderloin on the grill, with fresh pencil thin asparagus grilled with a little olive oil and salt and pepper. My family doesn't like asparagus, so I get all that to myself. :goodvibes They will have rice pilaf (sans butter-just a little olive oil) and steamed broccoli. Diet Snapple Iced Tea for me, milk for them.

For tomorrow I am having tacos made with lean ground beef, which I brown then rinse in hot water to get the most fat off. Soft or hard tacos with ff sour cream, salsa, fresh picante, lots of lettuce, and sharp cheddar cheese so I can use a lot less. FF refried beans.

I do weight watchers

Berry muffin for b-fast (2)

crawfish salad for lunch (5)

Healthier version of Fish and Chips with salad for supper (5)

Yum! The penne and ravioli both sound delightful. I love the idea of a baked potato and salad meal, I'll have to try that this weekend!

I'm a snacker at work so throughout the day I'll have 2 T of hummus with a handful of baby carrots and grape tomatos, 10 slices of turkey pepperoni and 1 low fat string cheese, 1 small apple and 1 wedge of laughing cow light swiss, 1 cup of sugar free jello, and for an actual lunch I'll have a handful of baby spinach topped with 1 can of tuna and a low fat honey mustard dressing. I'm also limiting myself to 1 diet Dr. Pepper per day and the rest water. I did really good yesterday and drank 1 whole liter of Dasani, today I'm aiming for a liter and a half, we'll see how it goes!

I threw a roast in the crock pot before work, so with a salad and some cooked green beans, that'll be dinner for the kids and lunch for myself tomorrow.

I try not to eat after work, which is 5 pm, but I may have another cup of jello to hold me over.

I found some low-fat lobster ravioli so I plan on mixing with some some pesto, scallops and grilled brussell sprouts.

Or I may do "penne" which is spicy spaghetti sauce with tons of vegetables, low fat meat served over whole wheat penne noodles. This is actually pretty filling and is good for about two-three days.

For lunch, an old standby-imitation crab with lemon

Breakfast-Some yogurt or all else failing, Orange and mango bowl.

I love me some imitation crab! I sprinkle mine with a little Old Bay and it's awesome.

I am cooking a pork tenderloin on the grill, with fresh pencil thin asparagus grilled with a little olive oil and salt and pepper. My family doesn't like asparagus, so I get all that to myself. :goodvibes They will have rice pilaf (sans butter-just a little olive oil) and steamed broccoli. Diet Snapple Iced Tea for me, milk for them.

For tomorrow I am having tacos made with lean ground beef, which I brown then rinse in hot water to get the most fat off. Soft or hard tacos with ff sour cream, salsa, fresh picante, lots of lettuce, and sharp cheddar cheese so I can use a lot less. FF refried beans.

I have been able to swap ground turkey for the ground beef, in tacos and other dishes, and I get no complaints. Chili is another big hit with the turkey. If you've never tried it before, I started out by doing half turkey and half beef and now I very rarely even buy ground beef anymore.

I do weight watchers

Berry muffin for b-fast (2)

crawfish salad for lunch (5)

Healthier version of Fish and Chips with salad for supper (5)

Have you had much success with WW? I did WW for about 8 months a couple of years ago and I gained instead of lost. I followed the point system to a T, my DM and I did it together, eating the same things and she lost but I gained. It was pretty discouraging. I still have and use my pedometer though.

What is the crawfish salad?

Have you had much success with WW? I did WW for about 8 months a couple of years ago and I gained instead of lost. I followed the point system to a T, my DM and I did it together, eating the same things and she lost but I gained. It was pretty discouraging. I still have and use my pedometer though.

What is the crawfish salad?

POINTS® Value: 2
Servings: 4
Preparation Time: 20 min
Cooking Time: 15 min
Level of Difficulty: Easy
Works with Simply Filling
Cajun Crawfish
Ingredients

2 tsp olive oil
1 medium green pepper(s), chopped
1/2 cup(s) onion(s), chopped
2 medium stalk(s) celery, chopped
2 medium garlic clove(s), minced
1 pound(s) crayfish, tails
1/4 tsp cayenne pepper, or 1 tsp Cajun seasoning
1/2 tsp table salt
1/4 tsp black pepper
2 medium scallion(s), chopped
1 Tbsp parsley, fresh, chopped
Instructions
• Heat oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add pepper, onion, celery and garlic; cook, stirring occasionally, until soft, about 5 minutes.
• Add crayfish, cayenne pepper or Cajun seasoning, salt and black pepper; stir to coat. Cook until crayfish are bright pink and cooked through, about 5 minutes.
• Remove from heat and stir in scallions and parsley. Yields about 1 cup per serving.
Notes
• If you cannot find crayfish - also known as crawfish - you can substitute large, peeled, deveined shrimp in their place.

I prepare a version of this adding mushrooms, and put it over baby spinach, tomatoes, cucumbers, fat free cheese and a boilded egg with a toasted sandwhich thin.

I have lost 10+ lbs in two months. Every now and then I hear a story like yours. The simply filling technique usually works with people who have stories similar to yours.

I love me some imitation crab! I sprinkle mine with a little Old Bay and it's awesome.

Do you just buy the imitation crab sticks from the grocery store? And eat them like string cheese? I think I would love that!

Today is day 1 of my "new lifestyle of eating". I am tired of eating the way I do, looking the way I do, feeling the way I do.

So - I am starting off doing the "no white foods" to get a jump start on the weight loss. I am a potato/pasta addict so this will be hard for me.

For breakfast I had a hardboiled egg and some granola and milk.
Lunch will be a cobb salad (no dressing).
Dinner will be a salad with some tofu on it.

I need to lose about 40# by summer and another 40# by winter.

I have been able to swap ground turkey for the ground beef, in tacos and other dishes, and I get no complaints. Chili is another big hit with the turkey. If you've never tried it before, I started out by doing half turkey and half beef and now I very rarely even buy ground beef anymore.

:thumbsup2 I actually thought about that after I got home with the lean ground beef. I used to buy my ground turkey breast freshly ground with breast meat only. I used it for everything. It does need some flavoring or seasoning by itself, but it pretty much disappears in chili and other dishes like you said. I am just now getting back to that mentality that I used to not even think twice about.

Something I love to do for my "in-between" meals (I eat 5 small meals a day, and the mid-morning and mid-afternoon are more like snacks), I will take some canned pineapple chunks (in juice, no sugar added), and some Light N Fit Vanilla Yogurt, and mix in a handful of slivered almonds. It's filling, super yummy, and VERY healthy! :D

I also sometimes take one of my newest favorite wraps, apply a thin scraping of Reduced-Fat Jif creamy peanut butter, plop a banana in the middle, roll it up, and YUM. :lovestruc Those wraps are a godsend; I was amazed how many calories and carbs were in "regular" wraps.

POINTS® Value: 2
Servings: 4
Preparation Time: 20 min
Cooking Time: 15 min
Level of Difficulty: Easy
Works with Simply Filling
Cajun Crawfish
Ingredients

2 tsp olive oil
1 medium green pepper(s), chopped
1/2 cup(s) onion(s), chopped
2 medium stalk(s) celery, chopped
2 medium garlic clove(s), minced
1 pound(s) crayfish, tails
1/4 tsp cayenne pepper, or 1 tsp Cajun seasoning
1/2 tsp table salt
1/4 tsp black pepper
2 medium scallion(s), chopped
1 Tbsp parsley, fresh, chopped
Instructions
• Heat oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add pepper, onion, celery and garlic; cook, stirring occasionally, until soft, about 5 minutes.
• Add crayfish, cayenne pepper or Cajun seasoning, salt and black pepper; stir to coat. Cook until crayfish are bright pink and cooked through, about 5 minutes.
• Remove from heat and stir in scallions and parsley. Yields about 1 cup per serving.
Notes
• If you cannot find crayfish - also known as crawfish - you can substitute large, peeled, deveined shrimp in their place.

I prepare a version of this adding mushrooms, and put it over baby spinach, tomatoes, cucumbers, fat free cheese and a boilded egg with a toasted sandwhich thin.

I have lost 10+ lbs in two months. Every now and then I hear a story like yours. The simply filling technique usually works with people who have stories similar to yours.

This recipe is definitely getting printed and tried out by me! It sounds really good, and filling! Thanks for posting it.

Do you just buy the imitation crab sticks from the grocery store? And eat them like string cheese? I think I would love that!

Today is day 1 of my "new lifestyle of eating". I am tired of eating the way I do, looking the way I do, feeling the way I do.

So - I am starting off doing the "no white foods" to get a jump start on the weight loss. I am a potato/pasta addict so this will be hard for me.

For breakfast I had a hardboiled egg and some granola and milk.
Lunch will be a cobb salad (no dressing).
Dinner will be a salad with some tofu on it.

I need to lose about 40# by summer and another 40# by winter.

Yeah, I just buy the packages of sticks, but I also like the pieces too, season them up and pop 'em in my mouth. Very delicious on a salad too.

I'm trying to eat healthier and have been doing pretty good actually, I find myself eating more often during the day, then I'm not even hungry in the evening, which is a plus because it's normal for me to eat at 9 or 10 at night. So, I've been keeping healthy snackage at work and I fill up here and then I get home, and cook for my kids and I don't even feel the slightest bit of hunger usually.

:worship: I will have to bow down to you on the tofu, I just can't bring myself to even attempt to eat it!

I am trying to be more aware of what I am eating throughout the day. I am not really "dieting" but just trying to eat healthier. I have cut out almost all pop (I still have the occassional glass).

Today I had one of those small 100 calories whole wheat bagels with a little bit of cream cheese.

Lunch will be chicken tacos from leftovers from last night.

Dinner is chiciken apple sausage with baked sweet potato fries.

My husband and I are doing the whole low-carb thing, so our diet always looks weird compared to more traditional low fat dieters. I've lost almost 12 pounds in 6 weeks, so I think it is going well.

For breakfast, I had string cheese.

For a snack, I had some mixed nuts.

For lunch, I have a beef burrito leftovers. Made with low-card wraps I found at Aldi.

My husband is in charge of dinner tonight, so I have no idea what we will be eating. He usually just stops at the store and picks up 2 steaks. I'll probably make roasted broccoli for a side.

We eat ridiculous numbers of eggs now --- I'd say at least 3 dozen a week now! Amazingly, today is an egg-free day for me. Usually I have hard-boiled for breakfast.

I just saw Rick Bayless make a seafood dish with chorizo seasonings. I am definately going to experiment.

Yeah, I just buy the packages of sticks, but I also like the pieces too, season them up and pop 'em in my mouth. Very delicious on a salad too.

I'm trying to eat healthier and have been doing pretty good actually, I find myself eating more often during the day, then I'm not even hungry in the evening, which is a plus because it's normal for me to eat at 9 or 10 at night. So, I've been keeping healthy snackage at work and I fill up here and then I get home, and cook for my kids and I don't even feel the slightest bit of hunger usually.

:worship: I will have to bow down to you on the tofu, I just can't bring myself to even attempt to eat it!

Thanks!

I LOVE tofu. I get it nice and dried (squeeze all the water out), throw some marinade on it, and throw it in a pan to get golden. Mmmm.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter