What's lacking at the Grand Cal?

Disneyland1084

OH PLEASE SOMEBODY TELL ME!
I've stayed there 3 times and loved it. Last time was in 2010. I know DL is slowly getting back to normal, but what's lacking at the Grand Cal? Services pre pandemic, etc?? I'm going in August, but staying at a hotel across the street.

We went in June 2021 and were just there in January. Some things that have come back (at least partially):

-Partial Housekeeping - this seems to vary a lot for people. They are doing towels and trash service every other day. In January our room seemed to get a full clean after the second night.
-Evening Kid Movies - they were back at least some nights during our January stay
-Room service - this was back last month. We didn't use it though
-Spa - it is open now
-Spa classes - yoga, exercises classes, power walk in DCA (all for a fee)
-Fitness Center - this was open in both June and January
-Online check in/room key on app

Things not happening (yet? ever?):
- No daily housekeeping
- No early entry/magic morning
- No robes in rooms (you can request though)
- No other kid activities that we saw (story time, scavenger hunt, etc.)
- No delivery of purchases from the park

The lack of daily housekeeping really upsets me the most and I think is something that customers should be demanding. At that price point, and especially as parents of young children, we all know how messy those rooms can get even in just one day. I have recently offered the maids in the hallways of hotels $20 upfront just to get them to clean our rooms. Then I tip another $10 each morning. They really appreciate it and they always leave extra towels and wash cloths. After checkout I always give the hotel my two cents in the customer survey.

The lack of daily housekeeping really upsets me the most and I think is something that customers should be demanding. At that price point, and especially as parents of young children, we all know how messy those rooms can get even in just one day. I have recently offered the maids in the hallways of hotels $20 upfront just to get them to clean our rooms. Then I tip another $10 each morning. They really appreciate it and they always leave extra towels and wash cloths. After checkout I always give the hotel my two cents in the customer survey.
After our October 2021 trip, not only did I take the survey(s), but also I actually emailed the two Bobs -- about a lot of things, but in the section about the GCH, I was hardest on the lack of daily housekeeping; I asked if either of these gentlemen would accept that level of (non) service in a place they stayed themselves. I said they needed to pay people enough, staff up in the hotel, and protect their workers' safety -- and don't let guests paying $800/night come back to unmade beds and a wastebasket full of coffee pods. (I was really surprised how off-putting that was, honestly -- just a weird and unexpected bummer. My family is/was as neat as we can be -- we would *never* just leave a mess for The Help™️ to deal with -- but still. Where *does* my $800 go, Bob? Huh? Cause it sure as heck isn't going to a Housekeeping worker's paycheck, from what I can see.)

We went in June 2021 and were just there in January. Some things that have come back (at least partially):

-Partial Housekeeping - this seems to vary a lot for people. They are doing towels and trash service every other day. In January our room seemed to get a full clean after the second night.
-Evening Kid Movies - they were back at least some nights during our January stay
-Room service - this was back last month. We didn't use it though
-Spa - it is open now
-Spa classes - yoga, exercises classes, power walk in DCA (all for a fee)
-Fitness Center - this was open in both June and January
-Online check in/room key on app

- No daily housekeeping

We had robes in our room in July 2021. We used them. I almost bought the version sold in the gift shop because I liked it so much.

"Things not happening (yet? ever?):
- No daily housekeeping
- No delivery of purchases from the park "

This is why we went to Universal Orlando Jan 10 thru Jan15 and stayed on property. We had Early Entry, full housekeeping and clean towels everyday, nice places to eat, and nice shows! They picked us up and delivered back to airport. We had a great time at a fraction of the cost for DL or WDW. We are so happy we did it, it was a great trip and will probably be doing it again in May. DL, maybe a year or more before we return and everything will have to be back to normal!

Everything with Covid restrictions and staffing issues from what I've seen. Mousekeeping, limited restaurant availability, limited pool hours, no in-room service.

- No daily housekeeping
Some of those are deal breakers for me.

After our October 2021 trip, not only did I take the survey(s), but also I actually emailed the two Bobs -- about a lot of things, but in the section about the GCH, I was hardest on the lack of daily housekeeping; I asked if either of these gentlemen would accept that level of (non) service in a place they stayed themselves. I said they needed to pay people enough, staff up in the hotel, and protect their workers' safety -- and don't let guests paying $800/night come back to unmade beds and a wastebasket full of coffee pods. (I was really surprised how off-putting that was, honestly -- just a weird and unexpected bummer. My family is/was as neat as we can be -- we would *never* just leave a mess for The Help™️ to deal with -- but still. Where *does* my $800 go, Bob? Huh? Cause it sure as heck isn't going to a Housekeeping worker's paycheck, from what I can see.)
Did you get any response? I did the survey also in October, zero response. I complained heavily about the housekeeping. I did the same thing OP did with tipping the housekeepers directly and also asking the front desk and housekeepers to do full daily housekeeping. If people just accept no housekeeping at this price point, why in the world would Disney spend the money to bring it back?

Some of those are deal breakers for me.
I'd guess they would be for many, especially at the high prices they charge. We tend to decline housekeeping some days during our trip, so having it every other day was fine for us (and you could request full cleaning when needed I believe).

But without the return of early entry, it will be hard for me to justify staying on site in the future.

Couldn’t agree more and yes, you absolutely need to let them know. While my next trip to Disneyland won’t be for a while (I’m in Australia) I would absolutely not consider staying on property until these services and perks return. Staff are not returning to Disney as they are often finding the roles they are been offered are lower paying (Entertainment CM’s been offered Janatorial roles 😡. You wouldn’t get away with that here). So they are finding other roles that pay them a living wage.
I mean if a motel on Harbor can attract enough staff to have daily housekeeping and on site properties can’t, then that’s a problem caused by Disney isn’t it. A problem they can easily fix!

Did you get any response? I did the survey also in October, zero response. I complained heavily about the housekeeping. I did the same thing OP did with tipping the housekeepers directly and also asking the front desk and housekeepers to do full daily housekeeping. If people just accept no housekeeping at this price point, why in the world would Disney spend the money to bring it back?
Yeah, actually -- the very next day, I got a call from the "correspondence office" that deals with their emails, etc. I'm from a CorpComms background, so I knew that they (or rather, their exec admin staff) would definitely see it; the person I spoke with gave me the usual business about how they take guest feedback very seriously, and sections of my email would be distributed to the relevant teams yada yada yada. They asked me if I had more to say, and I told them no, it was all in there, but I appreciated that an actual person had responded. I reiterated that the CMs I interacted with (and those I merely witnessed in action) were absolutely doing their best to make the magic happen, but that they were outnumbered and outgunned by hostile/careless guests and that DL/DCA/the hotels needed to do whatever it takes to staff up asap or it was going to get out of control. 🤷‍♀️

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter