What's it like renting your DVC points?

I've rented about 10 times and I really enjoy going the extra mile for someone. It's almost like I'm working for Disney...I get to spread the magic! I've had nothing but great experiences when renting and will do so again without any hesitation.

Renting points isn't rocket surgery. Here's how I do it and it works well for me: after a reservation is secured and I forward a copy of the confirmation to the renter, I require a $200 deposit within 30 days to hold the reservation. If this isn't paid, I simply cancel the reservation (so far, this has never happened). Then, I require the balance to be paid 45 days prior to the check in date (if by personal check) or 35 days prior to check in if by money order or guaranteed funds. That way my points never end up in the holding account.

Renting points isn't rocket surgery. Here's how I do it and it works well for me: after a reservation is secured and I forward a copy of the confirmation to the renter, I require a $200 deposit within 30 days to hold the reservation. If this isn't paid, I simply cancel the reservation (so far, this has never happened). Then, I require the balance to be paid 45 days prior to the check in date (if by personal check) or 35 days prior to check in if by money order or guaranteed funds. That way my points never end up in the holding account.

How do you factor in your banking deadline? If they fail to pay you when they are 35 days out, are you still in your banking deadline period?

How do you factor in your banking deadline? If they fail to pay you when they are 35 days out, are you still in your banking deadline period?

I never thought of this. My sister in law and my two sisters are renting from us this year. How would I factor this in with a Dec uy. The are travelling mid july and mid Dec recpectively.

I never thought of this. My sister in law and my two sisters are renting from us this year. How would I factor this in with a Dec uy. The are travelling mid july and mid Dec recpectively.

Since you can bank Dec UY points up through the end of July, you want to be sure that any cancellations come before this time (31 days or more in advance). In your case, I think those dates would still allow you to bank.

As far as your original question, I would also think twice about buying points for the sole purpose of renting. While it doesn't seem that hard to do, will you be okay covering the MF's if you can't rent them?

Would you be okay with losing those points if you can't use them and couldn't rent them? Does it still make it worthwhile?

And, are you okay with dealing with some of the cons of renting, like dealing with issues the guests cause which you, as owner, are ultimately responsible for?

I've rented a few times now and as others have said, I enjoy it. I have had renters who made the reservation and the deal was done but others with whom I have become friendly with and gave lots of vacation advice too. I really liked it.

Note that there are several sites that will rent the points for you, find the buyer, write up the contract, etc. Even for all this, you still get $10 per point.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter