• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

What's in your park bag for summer (with kids)?

mommy2paisley

DIS Veteran
We usually go when it's very nice weather-wise, usually DH and I are in jeans/capris and wearing jackets even, so I'm trying to figure out what EXTRA things we'll need in our park bag this trip since it will be hot.

I know we need to add sunscreen, those small water bottles, maybe a towel for if they play in the water play places (?), refillable water bottles. I'm sure there's things I'm not thinking of that we'll want to have. Any suggestions?

I'm subbing to this thread because I too am curious for ideas. This will be our family's first time visiting during the hot summer months.

Just keep in mind not to overload your bag. When it is hot, schlepping around an extra 5 lbs on your already hot, aching back is no fun.

Take small refillable bottles that are lightweight that you can fill, drink, and go. Sunscreen is a must (I recommend also getting one of the face sticks to get cheeks and ears) and chapstick with sun screen. Bandages for boo boos and blister pads for blisters, and maybe an extra pair of socks (if anyone is wearing them).

Others swear by "Frog Togs" chilling towels, which I plan to try this summer.

All in all, remember that bag will get heavier as the day goes on so try to keep to Baloo's theory... the Bare Necessities! :dance3:

Grab some cheap disposable ponchos from the Dollar Tree. They are light weight and will help during one of those afternoon showers that are so common in Florida in the summer.

If you will have a stroller, you may want to consider a clear, plastic shower curtain and some clips. It rained on us in June, so we just clipped that shower curtain over the shower and it kept the kids dry as we were strolling around the park AND it kept the stroller itself dry while it was parked outside an attraction.

Have fun!

I would second the frogs togs. They saved our trip last September. We also carried a zip lock bag that we could put ice water in from counter a service restaurant and refresh them.

I'm going to second (or is it third?) the idea of ponchos. You will get rained on in the afternoons.

Depending on how far away your hotel is, you may also want to bring a change if clothes for the kids, who will probably jump under some water feature long before the afternoon rains start. The water feels great at first, but not so much after an hour in the humidity.

All the above and if it gets too heavy rent a locker. I believe they are still $5 for the day and you can come and go to it as you like without lugging around any weight. You can also drop snacks into it for a quick energy burst throughout the day.

I have a mini first aid kit. Along with the plasters it contains safety pins. An absolute must.

Also a pack of wipes.

We have 5 kids and Mom didn't want to be a pack mule in Disney World, so each kid carried their own things in a kid sized fanny pack. The packs worked great since they weren't putting them down and losing them and they had access to their own stuff and weren't constantly asking us for a drink, a snack, etc. When they were little we packed them with a small water bottle, a snack size ziplock bag with an assortment of small snacks like pretzels and tootsie roll, chapstick, a dollar store rain poncho, etc. In my small bag I also had a snack size bag with a few bandaids, anit-B wipes, and neosporin, stick sunscreen and a clip on small bottle of sun lotion.

I usually go during August so i can relate.
you will want a backpack cooler, apple sauce pouches and plenty other light weight snacks,and thats pretty much it if you have spray bottles and water bottles(I would also bring drink mix for the kids and you they come in multiple flavors!):mickeyjum )

Subbing to this. This is our first summer trip and no stroller trip.. We have a bagalinni but I know I'm gonna need something bigger. I miss my stroller

Crystal light packets for water from CS, frog togs for sure, I cut mine down the middle so I had 4.. granola bars, trail mix, gum, life savers, reservation cards, extra camera battery, kleenx, I don't carry first aid stuff as there are places all over the parks to get needed supplies, I do carry Tylenol and blister block.

Extra pair of sunglasses if you are prone to headaches/migraines. I always wore one and kept one on me, total lifesaver when the one broke/got lost. Also, migraine meds and Tylenol. Refillable water bottles (you can get ice water at any of the CS places for free) and mix ins if you don't like the taste of water. I sometimes bring the poweraid mix ins for the kids since the heat really sucks everything out of you. Bandanas are great for getting wet and using to wipe down your face/put on your neck to keep cool.
I have a stroller so I pack two bags. One of things that I wouldn't be heartbroken if they were lost (extra wipes, diapers, Tylenol, extra outfits etc) that I put in the bottom of the stroller and leave there when I go on rides. The other is small that I keep valuables in, that goes everywhere with me. It makes it so I don't have to do an imitation of a pack mule through the park.

I'm also a two bag person. Small crossbody bag with wallet, phone, basically my important stuff.

Big bag (very lightweight messenger diaper bag) had pull-ups, wipes, extra outfit for the kiddo, rain jacket for DD, sippy with milk, empty sippy for fresh milk or water, quart size ziplocs for snacks, and a couple pieces of dishwashing liquid soaked sponges.

Setup worked well, wasn't too heavy, and I could stash the smaller bag in the big one or take the small one on my own.

:wave2: wandering what everyone brings for the parades at night, like glow sticks or wand? :confused3

Glow sticks for sure, and something to occupy their time while waiting for the parade and wishes to start...try to buy stuff at Walmart, dollar tree as far Disney type wands spinners as they cost you a fortune to buy there..happy times when you are there..

I didn't read any of the other replies so I'm sure I'm duplicating some others but we've been the past two Augusts with no stroller.

1) Freeze a water bottle the night before. Carry it in a spot on the backpack where it cools the part of the pack that will touch the carrier's back. Later in the day you'll have ice cold water to refresh.
2) Wet a facecloth, fold it and put in the freezer in a baggie the night before. Use to cool necks and foreheads later in the park. This works better for us than the frogg towels.
3) Extra sunglasses
4) Sweat-proof sunblock
5) Never forget your ponchos. It will rain.
5) You can't over hydrate. Drink water, drink water and then drink more water.

This is the most important: plan to take a break during the hottest part of the day. We head back to resort and hit the pool from about 1-3.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter